Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Higher-resolution Instrument Panel Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last time I heard , tesla is "production constrained", not "demand constrained". Demand exceeds production limits at the moment. and the limited factor on the production side was the battery supplies from Panasonic.

I'm pretty sure the constraint has been Tesla's ability to crank out cars, not the batteries to put in them. They just spent 2 weeks upgrading the factory in order to be able to produce 1,000 cars per week. Tesla continues to ramp up production as it can, which has to do with factory capability and not battery supplies. If Tesla didn't have enough batteries, why has it retooled the factory to increase production by over 50%? Also, if there aren't enough batteries, how on earth is Tesla going to produce a Model X and Model S at the same time?

This is a factory story, not a battery story. The gigafactory is being built to primarily supply batteries for Model 3.

I'm pretty sure the constraint has been Tesla's ability to crank out cars, not the batteries to put in them. They just spent 2 weeks upgrading the factory in order to be able to produce 1,000 cars per week. Tesla continues to ramp up production as it can, which has to do with factory capability and not battery supplies. If Tesla didn't have enough batteries, why has it retooled the factory to increase production by over 50%? Also, if there aren't enough batteries, how on earth is Tesla going to produce a Model X and Model S at the same time?

This is a factory story, not a battery story. The gigafactory is being built to primarily supply batteries for Model 3.

well that statement was also from mid-2013 I think. I'm assuming/hoping that panasonic ramped up enough that the battery supplies can be sustained for MS+MX production and that they are now indeed factory/production line constrained.

They upgraded the factory to be able to make the Model X, and quite possibly to reduce the cost of manufacturing (if more robots mean less people then that saves money). If they just needed to make more Model S's they'd run a night shift like every other volume car maker does.

Last time I heard , tesla is "production constrained", not "demand constrained". Demand exceeds production limits at the moment. and the limited factor on the production side was the battery supplies from Panasonic.

That was true at one time. I'm not sure it's true today because Panasonic added capacity (presumably once they found out that Tesla was actually selling cars).

Damiano, does your have the older "thick" bezel around the instrument cluster or the newly designed "thin" bezel?

Could someone post photos to show the difference between the physical bezel types? I have VIN27XXX but my driver display was replaced proactively by Tesla several months ago so I'm not sure which type I have. Can't be sure from the close up photos of the center of the screen. Maybe the later type...

Could someone post photos to show the difference between the physical bezel types? I have VIN27XXX but my driver display was replaced proactively by Tesla several months ago so I'm not sure which type I have. Can't be sure from the close up photos of the center of the screen. Maybe the later type...

check out this post: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...t-cluster-trim?p=693320&viewfull=1#post693320

the pics are upside down. basically the thick bezel is fat at the bottom and goes straight across. the newer thin bezel is skinny at the bottom and slightly curved/raised in the center.

So, I have a newer loaner today. VIN 44xxx. I was skeptical about the higher res before, but now I'm convinced. I compared it side by side to an older car and this car definitely has a higher resolution screen and the thin bezel.

HOWEVER---

It's obvious the tegra 2 driving this display hasn't changed, and isn't up to the task. The frame rate is quite low and inconsistent. The power meter "sticks" a lot and skips around when changing fast. Someone earlier in the thread (brianman maybe?) speculated this was the case, and I think they are dead on.

Also, it's obvious not all of the art assets for the display have been updated for the new resolution. Proportional fonts around the speedometer and lower info bar look nice, but you can see aliasing for bitmap assets used for some of the sub displays like trip and power usage graph. The car graphics look nice, but I assume they are using the same assets the center console uses. Perhaps they will update all of these in a future software rev.

To be honest, it doesn't add much. Sitting back in the seat it's very difficult to tell the difference other then the juddering graphics on the higher resolution display. I don't think I'd want an upgrade until they beef up the chip driving this new display.

Last edited:
Ditto. I have a loaner today VIN 45xxx and I immediately noticed the new display in the crispness of the digits showing my speed.

I probably would have noticed even if I hadn't seen this thread, but I'm not sure.

The speedo itself looks very smart. The rest of the graphics are unchanged (nav, media, etc).

Definitely not a big deal.

So, I have a newer loaner today. VIN 44xxx. I was skeptical about the higher res before, but now I'm convinced. I compared it side by side to an older car and this car definitely has a higher resolution screen and the thin bezel.

HOWEVER---

It's obvious the tegra 2 driving this display hasn't changed, and isn't up to the task. The frame rate is quite low and inconsistent. The power meter "sticks" a lot and skips around when changing fast. Someone earlier in the thread (brianman maybe?) speculated this was the case, and I think they are dead on.

Also, it's obvious not all of the art assets for the display have been updated for the new resolution. Proportional fonts around the speedometer and lower info bar look nice, but you can see aliasing for bitmap assets used for some of the sub displays like trip and power usage graph. The car graphics look nice, but I assume they are using the same assets the center console uses. Perhaps they will update all of these in a future software rev.

To be honest, it doesn't add much. Sitting back in the seat it's very difficult to tell the difference other then the juddering graphics on the higher resolution display. I don't think I'd want an upgrade until they beef up the chip driving this new display.

Are the cars you compared running the same code? My car with the old display has been jittery since 5.12 was loaded.

I'm getting software updated by service tomorrow.

i have the thin bezel and higher res display and it's very smooth on both the power meter and the speedo. i haven't noticed any jittery motions. i have 5.12 ver 1.64.26 (which is the updated 5.12). they updated the version within a few days after doing the initial 5.12 install because the first version was causing my center console screen to blink, reboot, or blackout randomly.

Both were running the same 5.12 rev (1.64.26) and updated by the same service center. The hi res screen was quite noticeably lower frame rate and laggy on the speedo compared to the older screen. Old car is VIN 146xx, new car is VIN 448xx.

I have an old screen and the energy meter has a laggy framerate. Sometimes it is worse than other times, are you saying the newer resolution is even more laggy?
+ I thought they were all Tegra 3
interesting

A Tegra GPU has more than enough horsepower to push double the number of pixels in a 2D space. Neither display is requiring any 3D rendering to be performed, only drawing pixels on a flat 2D plane. Tegra has more than enough bandwidth to drive a higher pixel density. I suspect the stuttering is due to Tesla's software, not the Tegra GPU.

There's a reason 5.12 wasn't a general release, but not sure why Tesla would think it appropriate to use some owners as unwitting beta testers.

Last edited:
A Tegra GPU has more than enough horsepower to push double the number of pixels in a 2D space. Neither display is requiring any 3D rendering to be performed, only drawing pixels on a flat 2D plane. Tegra has more than enough bandwidth to drive a higher pixel density. I suspect the stuttering is due to Tesla's software, not the Tegra GPU.

There's a reason 5.12 wasn't a general release, but not sure why Tesla would think it appropriate to use some owners as unwilling beta testers.

agreed. the Tegra is really a powerful GPU. it's not like we're gaming on these screens (not yet of course, when they release the SDK I'll be sure to write a little Tetris app that shows on the speedometer console and using the steering wheel buttons to rotate and move so you can play while you're driving...lol)