Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Highland UK - stalks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 MSLR with a yoke. I never test drove before I drove it off the lot. I was looking forward to something new. The turn signals are easy to find as they have a raised line between them. It took me a week to learn how to use them about 90% without hitting the wrong one. It took about three weeks to learn them 100%. I go through two traffic circles on the way home. They are narrow one lane and we don't use turn signals. We always yield in these small neighborhood circles. I know what a three point turn (TPT) is. But the OP saying signaling in this type of turn doesn't make sense to me. Look at our TPT as a tight U turn. The turn direction is just one direction, never changing. So signal once before initiating.
No offence but driving in the UK is very different from driving in California. I’ve done both and I can see how it might be ok there but here where you have lots of tight twisty roads and especially in cities where 90 degree corners are not the norm, it’s going to be a nightmare.

I test drove a highland today. I got used to the indicator buttons quite quickly. It was easier than I expected. Overall the car was very nice. More comfortable than the old model and a little quieter (not sure it’s 30% that they claim as the difference wasn’t night and day). (compared to a performance model on 18 inch aftermarket wheels)

For new buyers the 9% PCP rate is a killer/deal breaker In my opinion. A standard range highland would be £60 per month more than I’m paying for my 2023 performance model. A long range would be about £260 more (same deposit and term length). Glad I got the 0% deal back in August.

In a couple of years when I’m looking to change the highland may be an option. The lack of stalks didn’t bother me at all.

Early adopters tax.

Logic dictates one should at minimum wait until the end of this quarter to buy, or even see what’s going to happen with interest rates later this year, but can understand why some people can’t wait.

I picked up my new Highland yesterday. I hadn't appreciated how difficult it is going to be to drive the car without the indicator stalk. If you do a tight left turn then right, for example, the indicator buttons are in the wrong place given the movement of the steering wheel. Roundabouts/three point turns are going to be really challenging. Also, changing gears without a stalk is not easy either. The car has some major improvements from my 2019 Tesla but I'm not sure I would have bought it had I taken a test drive beforehand so for anyone looking to buy one, I would recommend you try it out first. I'm hoping that Tesla will either relent and come up with an after care kit or someone else will come up with one.
How often are you doing a tight left turn, and then a tight right turn, when you need to indicate right immediately after turning left, with your steering wheel at 180 degrees from centre? Presumably you're doing this at high speed as well as you don't have the time to centre the wheel before indicating right?

Test drove it for 30 mins for the first time, got used to it in 10 mins, managed to indicate at every roundabout and turning without it being a "major challenge"

How often are you doing a tight left turn, and then a tight right turn, when you need to indicate right immediately after turning left, with your steering wheel at 180 degrees from centre? Presumably you're doing this at high speed as well as you don't have the time to centre the wheel before indicating right?

Test drove it for 30 mins for the first time, got used to it in 10 mins, managed to indicate at every roundabout and turning without it being a "major challenge"
Reverse it, tightish right turn followed by a left turn with a need to indicate mid way.. every small to medium sized roundabout

Nobody has ever suggested they’re impossible all the time, only that there are situations where it’s more of a challenge.

Reverse it, tightish right turn followed by a left turn with a need to indicate mid way.. every small to medium sized roundabout

Nobody has ever suggested they’re impossible all the time, only that there are situations where it’s more of a challenge.
And can be easily achieved on any normal roundabout, because you're not normally exiting with the steering wheel inverted by 180 degrees. If you are, for whatever reason, then your speed will be so slow you will have time to find the button.

For any everyday situation, if your hands are shuffling the wheel at 10x2 then the button is within easy reach.

My own experience couldn't replicate the "really challenging" situations and "nightmare" scenarios discussed

And can be easily achieved on any normal roundabout, because you're not normally exiting with the steering wheel inverted by 180 degrees. If you are, for whatever reason, then your speed will be so slow you will have time to find the button.

For any everyday situation, if your hands are shuffling the wheel at 10x2 then the button is within easy reach.

My own experience couldn't replicate the "really challenging" situations and "nightmare" scenarios discussed
You change indication as you pass the exit immediately prior to the one you want, you are likely to have a large degree of lock on at that point.

I suspect the easy way to not get the problem is to either not bother indicating or to indicate when the steering wheel is in a place when it’s easiest to indicate, both of those are wrong, it should determined by when it’s the correct time to indicate irrespective of steering wheel position.

We’ve had this argument countess times and now someone who’s driven it has experienced the issue, just like many predicted, the defence is either they’re driving wrong or the scenario is very rare. Neither particularly helpful

Reactions: KeithA
Lots of talk about stalks (or lack there of) in other threads.

Enhanced Auto (makers of S3XY buttons) are working on Retrofit Stalks but in the mean time if you really struggle you can just get the buttons and out them somewhere more intuitive to you.
There’s more detail about the Enhanced Auto stalk here enhanced Auto stalk. It does sound like it will require a bit of dash and trim disassembly to install as it is directly wired to the OBD port and not sure I’d be particularly happy about no warranty if it breaks your Tesla.

Actually if you find it affects your driving I recommend you return the car. It's safer for you and other road users and if enough customer do this Tesla might finally get the message.
Motor Ombudsman Distance Selling FAQs.

If I am reading this correctly, only people who pay in full ahead of collection/delivery would qualify. If you have a finance plan which requires you to collect the vehicle it is deemed as a Click and Collect purchase and so is not covered.

The answer is generally no – a ‘click-and-collect’ style purchase is not usually a distance sale. This is because whilst you might have placed the order online and paid a deposit, you will still sign the contract and any finance agreements, or pay the balance on site, the same as with a ‘bricks and mortar’ purchase. As you have still had contact with the seller on their premises during the process of finalising your purchase, the additional right to cancel your purchase within 14 days given by the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 will not apply. You will still have your statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which gives you the right to reject the car for a full refund within the first 30 days after purchase. But, you can only do this if you can prove that the car is not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose or not as described – you’re not allowed to return the vehicle simply because you have changed your mind. After those 30 days, you have to give the business one opportunity to repair or replace your vehicle before you can ask for a refund, and any refund you receive will include a deduction for the use you have had of the car.

There is also a mileage limit to qualify, which is likely lower than most people would have to drive the car home from the collection hub.

Could Tesla implement an Auto indicate function to follow Nav? I appreciate that there will be plenty of occasions you’d want to manually engage indicators. Or possibly not follow the Nav route. But it’d match their drive towards automation, and likely cover 90%+ of the “small roundabout” or “left/right” scenarios.
I'm not sure on the link to Nav, but it does make you wonder if it is for the sake of Automation. For me I'd love if it was so it could link to AP and do away with the need to confirm lane change in Navigate on Autopilot under EAP. That said, werent the stalks digital anyway, so asking you to confirm the change is by design?

There’s more detail about the Enhanced Auto stalk here enhanced Auto stalk. It does sound like it will require a bit of dash and trim disassembly to install as it is directly wired to the OBD port and not sure I’d be particularly happy about no warranty if it breaks your Tesla.
Yes, but most of the Enhance Auto Stuff needs a link to OBD so its not really any worse than the S3XY buttons realistically. I'm not saying its ideal, but its a solution for those that cannot get on with the buttons at the end of the day.

Last edited:
If I am reading this correctly, only people who pay in full ahead of collection/delivery would qualify. If you have a finance plan which requires you to collect the vehicle it is deemed as a Click and Collect purchase and so is not covered.

I think you contradict yourself there a bit.

Whether you pay in full online or finance, it's all pre-arranged online and you dont dont the final transaction on collection or sign off any finance agreement in the same manner.

All that you sign for on collection is that you have received/taken position of the vehicle in good condition or sometimes not.

Whether you pay in full online or finance, it's all pre-arranged online and you dont dont the final transaction on collection or sign off any finance agreement in the same manner.
Not always the case. I have to sign my finance agreement on collection. It is e-sign, but at the point of collection no finance paperwork has yet been signed.

For visibility, my experience on this is Hire Purchase via BlackHorse finance.

Not always the case. I have to sign my finance agreement on collection. It is e-sign, but at the point of collection no finance paperwork has yet been signed.

For visibility, my experience on this is Hire Purchase via BlackHorse finance.

It's different from when I remember when Tesla would ask for your finances to be sorted well prior to collection. I dont think for a moment Tesla would let you drive away on the promise that the finance company will pay them or it would all be efficiently done while you collect. 🤷‍♂️

It's different from when I remember when Tesla would ask for your finances to be sorted well prior to collection. I dont think for a moment Tesla would let you drive away on the promise that the finance company will pay them or it would all be efficiently done while you collect. 🤷‍♂️
I can't speak from Tesla's or BlackHorse's POV, but I am collecting this Saturday and haven't signed a finance agreement yet. I was concerned at this lack and so contacted my Delivery Advisor and he told me I will eSign it on a tablet upon collection.

To clarify, you have to have the finance approved, but you sign the agreement itself on collection (at least this is the situation for myself)

I can't speak from Tesla's or BlackHorse's POV, but I am collecting this Saturday and haven't signed a finance agreement yet. I was concerned at this lack and so contacted my Delivery Advisor and he told me I will eSign it on a tablet upon collection.

To clarify, you have to have the finance approved, but you sign the agreement itself on collection (at least this is the situation for myself)

Strictly speaking You do not own the car until your final payment, Black horse has there for done the online purchase in full?

Strictly speaking You do not own the car until your final payment, Black horse has there for done the online purchase in full?
It seems a bit of a grey area and its not particularly clear, but the website I shared does state about signing finance agreements. I imagine that the arrangement is between the seller and the consumer, not accommodating for the finance company, but its not particularly clear admittedly.

Reactions: Js1977
It seems a bit of a grey area and its not particularly clear, but the website I shared does state about signing finance agreements. I imagine that the arrangement is between the seller and the consumer, not accommodating for the finance company, but its not particularly clear admittedly.

Probably fair to say that you have more rights than a BACS buyer anyway, like when you purchase with a credit card.

Reactions: Oxid8ter