Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HPWC is out (soon?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's probably sufficient if you've recently received the HPWC box. However, if you don't have the box, I don't believe there is any way from the outside to tell if it has the larger fuses in it - the part number of the unit wasn't changed. You'd need to open it up.

That's probably sufficient if you've recently received the HPWC box. However, if you don't have the box, I don't believe there is any way from the outside to tell if it has the larger fuses in it - the part number of the unit wasn't changed. You'd need to open it up.

I'd start looking at the serial number. Wondering if the serial number is prefaced by T13 instead of T12, it's likely to be the new version? We need more samples to determine where the cut-off is, though. I was originally thinking it could be based upon the last digits of the serial number, but I saw one new one with 26xx, and another new one as 5000+.

(EDIT: Nope... another box vs. unit thing, I guess. Probably sequence # thing on the serial number might still work, but we don't know where the cut-off is. Best is to open it up.)

Last edited:
I'm confused by this assertion.

My impression from the data so far is that "-C" is present on both the packaging and on the label on the right side of the HPWC itself for the new device (with fuse assembly), while the older has "-B". It sounds like you have evidence to the contrary. Please elaborate.

The issue is packaging (AKA shipping box) vs actual part. The package has -C and -B suffixes. Both the old and new HPWC part have only a -B suffix. This is why I was complaining - until we know the lowest serial number for the new units, there's no way to tell short of opening it up. And, I suspect that they had lots of cases on hand with the part and serial numbers already printed (or didn't want to pay the price of retooling) so they just "slipstreamed" the change in. This is bad for a number of reasons - like their subcontractor finds a missing palette of cases with old SNO's or "new old" assembled inventory. They could at least have slapped a sticker on the back.

I think it is probably safe to assume thatthe -C box has the new HPWC but it would be good to actually hear that from TMC.

I emailed ownership today about getting back up to 80A on my existing HPWC. Here is the response I received:

I’ve sent a request to service regarding your HPWC fix. Service will be coordinating the fix for you. Dependant on their inventory they will either be coming out to you to repair the fuses, or sending you a new unit with the upgraded fuses. If any installation costs are required, we will of course cover all expenses associated with this. Expect them to reach out soon.

As soon as I hear from the service folks, I'll let you know what I learn.

I spoke to Nathan @ Rockville SC today. He didn't know anything about an HPWC swap or new fuses. He said he would look into it and get back to me.

It appears Tesla is still doing a very poor job keeping their service centers informed.

The issue is packaging (AKA shipping box) vs actual part. The package has -C and -B suffixes. Both the old and new HPWC part have only a -B suffix. This is why I was complaining - until we know the lowest serial number for the new units, there's no way to tell short of opening it up. And, I suspect that they had lots of cases on hand with the part and serial numbers already printed (or didn't want to pay the price of retooling) so they just "slipstreamed" the change in. This is bad for a number of reasons - like their subcontractor finds a missing palette of cases with old SNO's or "new old" assembled inventory. They could at least have slapped a sticker on the back.

I think it is probably safe to assume thatthe -C box has the new HPWC but it would be good to actually hear that from TMC.

Received mine via fedex today. Part number ends in "C".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 234
Last edited: