Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HPWC is out (soon?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoke with the local SC here and Tesla Ownership. The update is just a new set of fuses for the existing HPWC itself that are less sensitive, my guess slow-blow or less temp sensitive. They are having Rangers come out and swap out the fuses in some instances, it is a 5-10 minute job. So no worries about replacing the entire HPWC, it is just an updated set of fuses. I would contact your local service center and have them put a set of the updated fuses on order. Then the next part is if you can actually swap them yourself.
If you don't feel comfortable for example changing an outlet, I would not attempt it, ask your SC if they can just send out a Ranger to swap the fuses.
If you can handle an outlet change, tell the service center you are just going to have your electrician do it and your will pickup the fuses, then do it yourself, it is pretty straight forward.
1. Turn off power
2. Ensure power is off, no green light on the hpwc.
3. Use Torx bit and open case to HPWC, carefully remove cover and ribbon cable.
4. Use appropriate socket and remove fuses (I think they are 3/8 of maybe 7/16 socket).
5. Keep the old fuses so you can reinstall if thing go badly.
6. Put in new fuses in, tighten to proper torque spec.
7. Reconnect ribbon cable, replace cover.
8. Turn on breaker test operation at 80 amps and see what happens.

Something else that is interesting, the HPWC installation guide online has illustrations/pictures of the inside of the HPWC and it doesn't show any fuses between the wiring blocks and the contactor, it just looks like bars.

All of the other EVSE's I have ever had didn't have any fuses in them, they just had regular wires from the wiring block to the contactor.

We're getting conflicting information. I asked ownership specifically if it was a fuse change and was told no; new hardware. This also jives with the behavior of 4.4 and 4.5 when you try to go over 60A: "does your HPWC look like this?" dialog screen. To me, that implies a fixed HPWC looks different.

We're getting conflicting information. I asked ownership specifically if it was a fuse change and was told no; new hardware. This also jives with the behavior of 4.4 and 4.5 when you try to go over 60A: "does your HPWC look like this?" dialog screen. To me, that implies a fixed HPWC looks different.

This was discussed up-thread a bit, but the graphic of the HPWC was to differentiate between high-powered J1772 EVSE's, Roadster HPC's, etc.

That said, I reached out to my service center manager who said:

I am sorry to say this but I am not aware of a program to replace the fuses in the HPWC with revised parts that will allow the units to charge at 80 amps again. It sounds to me like that individual may have misunderstood when someone was explaining the program where we will come out on a Ranger visit to check, and replace if needed, the fuses in the HPWC should it fail. If we do come out and find a failed fuse we will replace both of them but the owner of the unit will still be asked to dial the current back to 60 amps until that issue gets resolved.

I just spoke to Tesla Service San Diego and they said that since my HPWC came with a note warning about lowering the charge to 60A, AND since I now have 4.5, that I'm good to go for 80A charging. They were going to schedule an appointment to reset my DIPs, but I already have those set for a 100A breaker and was doing the recommended limiting in the charge preferences. They said that with 4.5, the draw is ramped up slightly more slowly which alleviates the problem.

It sounds like we're getting conflicting information at this point, but maybe there are already multiple generations of HPWC in the field, so the remediation is different for each? Mine arrived in mid-April and had a printed sheet with the charge limit warning. Perhaps HPWC's shipped before this was included also need new fuses?

I have not updated my charge limit just yet until we hear some more different stories from Service or experience from other owners.

My HPWC just arrived today and has no printed warning note about the lower charge rate. On the other hand, I did get an extra printout of the cable hanger instructions, perhaps one was supposed to be the charge rate warning note? I haven't spotted anything that looks like a revision number or any sort of indicator that I might have received one of the hypothetical "fixed" units rumored to possibly exist. If there is real hardware expected to be changed out (beyond fuses) and if I don't already have it, I'm tempted to delay installation until it's all sorted out.

I just spoke to Tesla Service San Diego and they said that since my HPWC came with a note warning about lowering the charge to 60A, AND since I now have 4.5, that I'm good to go for 80A charging. They were going to schedule an appointment to reset my DIPs, but I already have those set for a 100A breaker and was doing the recommended limiting in the charge preferences. They said that with 4.5, the draw is ramped up slightly more slowly which alleviates the problem.
I can't see how ramping up more slowly will alleviate the problem. The fuses blow because they get too hot and that is due to the time they spend charging. May last two fuses blew after charging for a long time (more than 1.5hrs).

My HPWC just arrived today and has no printed warning note about the lower charge rate. On the other hand, I did get an extra printout of the cable hanger instructions, perhaps one was supposed to be the charge rate warning note? I haven't spotted anything that looks like a revision number or any sort of indicator that I might have received one of the hypothetical "fixed" units rumored to possibly exist. If there is real hardware expected to be changed out (beyond fuses) and if I don't already have it, I'm tempted to delay installation until it's all sorted out.

Did yours come with the cable hanger? I think that's a new development. I received mine in late April/May and it had the note saying the cable hanger would ship in February :/

Did yours come with the cable hanger? I think that's a new development. I received mine in late April/May and it had the note saying the cable hanger would ship in February :/
Mine arrived today and also has the hanger. Nothing prepared me for how frigging big it is.

DSC_0450.JPG
DSC_0454.JPG
DSC_0451-2.jpg

It's difficult to make a device that can handle high power and is small, the 2 requirements are generally mutually exclusive. Just the size of the wiring that must be allowed (#2 or #3 THHN), and a contactor rated for 80A continuous duty, those are not small components, now add on the fuses, control PCB, etc. I think they've done a remarkable job shrinking it down in size. Look at the gigantic 75A J-1772 I built as a comparision: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE

It's difficult to make a device that can handle high power and is small, the 2 requirements are generally mutually exclusive. Just the size of the wiring that must be allowed (#2 or #3 THHN), and a contactor rated for 80A continuous duty, those are not small components, now add on the fuses, control PCB, etc. I think they've done a remarkable job shrinking it down in size. Look at the gigantic 75A J-1772 I built as a comparision: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/75AOpenEVSE

They were able to use 105 degC #6 internally, rated for 85 amp, which surprised me a bit, but I guess they have some test results for continuous load testing of that wiring they used to get it listed.

For those with indoor installations, would it be purdent to drill several "ventilation holes" to allow some internal cooling?

Depending upon how they retrofit, you may want to wait. They may be doing an exchange program, where they send you a newly-reworked one, then re-work the old one and send out. In that case, you probably don't want to drill.

If the change comes in the form of a rework kit, or once you get the second HPWC, I doubt it would hurt to drill a few (SMALL!) chimney holes in the top so that heat can escape, but from Tesla's testing my guess is that you shouldn't need them. Keep in mind that increases the risk someone sticks a metal tool or something in there and could get a tickle.

My opinion would be "don't worry about it" once they get you the fixed parts.

For those with indoor installations, would it be purdent to drill several "ventilation holes" to allow some internal cooling?

I would not recommend that, for one you have modified the enclosure, so now it can't be used in wet locations, it also might attract "critters" looking for a warm spot to nest. Nope, wouldn't recommend it. My 75A J-1772 EVSE runs relatively cool, but doesn't have fuses internally, just a gigantic contactor that generates some heat.

The updated fuses will more than likely come as a kit which will consist of the new fuses, updated buss bars for the fuses, a paper separator along with some installation instructions.
As you can see between these two pictures, the updated HPWC is identical inside except for the fuse setup.
Here is the old fuse design:

Teslahpwc2.PNG

Here is the updated design:
NewHPWC.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I would want to get a new unit or at least have them repair it. I'm pretty sure the warrantee doesn't cover owner repairs.
I think Tesla will more than likely send a Ranger out to install the fuse retrofit kit if you want. It can't be more than a 10-15 minute job.