Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, just got my new AWD LR Model 3, I love it but am experiencing a noise when acccelerating in between 25 MPH and 45 MPH. I have attached a recording, it is a high pitched pulsing / whistle sound coming from the front. Is this normal? I know its subtle but I have three days left to return it and a service appointment the same day. Anyone else experience this sound? I have pointed out the squeaks in the following video:

I couldn't hear a squeak but the engine will have a high pitch sound to it under hard acceleration and you will also notice one when the battery is being warmed during in route battery warming for supercharging.

I also couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. But if you do think that something is amiss, take it to your local SC and get a technician to ride along with you. Ask him for his opinion, but also insist that he make note of this in your car's account as part of its "due bill."

Hi, just got my new AWD LR Model 3, I love it but am experiencing a noise when acccelerating in between 25 MPH and 45 MPH. I have attached a recording, it is a high pitched pulsing / whistle sound coming from the front. Is this normal? I know its subtle but I have three days left to return it and a service appointment the same day. Anyone else experience this sound? I have pointed out the squeaks in the following video:

I can hear the pulsing tone. I am fairly sure my car does not do that. However, the front drive units on the AWD are notoriously variable on the noises they produce. Yours is during acceleration, not at a constant speed (according to you). There are quite a few people who have "beeping" from the front drive unit when coasting. But that's not what you have. However, the sound is not dissimilar to that beeping sound (which is thought to maybe be caused by gear lash, or the drive unit energizing/de-energizing (they can freewheel that one as I understand it)).

I can hear it on my iPhone speaker easily.

I think it could be a tire or something in the drive train but not the motor itself.

It’s possible it’s normal. I had a Performance so it may not have hit that subtle of accel/load curve.

Say for example it was alignment, the traction control might be throttling power in a cycle. Pushing, then seeing something is not right, then backing off then pushing again.

I think the whine is normal but I don’t recall it ever pulsing like that.

Curious what service says.

I can hear the pulsing tone. I am fairly sure my car does not do that. However, the front drive units on the AWD are notoriously variable on the noises they produce. Yours is during acceleration, not at a constant speed (according to you). There are quite a few people who have "beeping" from the front drive unit when coasting. But that's not what you have. However, the sound is not dissimilar to that beeping sound (which is thought to maybe be caused by gear lash, or the drive unit energizing/de-energizing (they can freewheel that one as I understand it)).

Hello, thanks for the response, when you say “freewheel,” it what do you mean?

Thanks

I hear a bit of a repeating/oscillating whine sound that increases in frequency which isn't very similar to anything i've heard on my car. A minor whine is normal from the motors, but it almost sounds like something is a little loose and is shaking as you accelerate which causes the variable whine noise?

Hey,
I kinda have the same thing. What was your problem, have you figured that out?

I turned your video up to 11 and listened carefully. Your motor noise is different than mine for sure. I don't hear the squeaks but your whriling sounds are "different". Now I don't know if it's a bad different or not cause I haven't driven different Tesla to know.