Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Maps for Europe Rolling Out 2021.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following an update last night I'd not noticed that the Navigation software is version 12875, so also up to date!
Finally here too.

An insight: the map update was downloaded during the first night since the update was published that I was within wifi range AND the car was plugged in (thanks holiday location, as I cannot plug in at home).
So maybe that is what was holding the update back all this time. Similar for you?

An insight: the map update was downloaded during the first night since the update was published that I was within wifi range AND the car was plugged in (thanks holiday location, as I cannot plug in at home).
So maybe that is what was holding the update back all this time. Similar for you?

My car is plugged in and on wifi almost every night... but I don't have the 2021 nav update. You do need to be on wifi but you don't necessarily need to be plugged in. The only factor with not being plugged in is that the car probably wouldn't accept the download if the battery was in a low state of charge (20% or lower).

Reactions: CMc1
At some point over the last few days, our M3's maps have updated to 12875. Almost certainly a coincidence - and I know I'm not comparing like with like - but the navigation system felt much more useful/usable. Specifically, the car seemed happy with (and often even suggested) our preferred diversion around the Stonehenge bit of the A303, and with avoiding the M25 - whereas, holidaying in Devon, it was often a nightmare of the Tesla effectively saying, 'This is the most direct route; like it or lump it!'

Anyway, big tick to Tesla after an up-and-down couple of weeks!

I had a strange routing on latest maps last week, where on M25 (anti clockwise) going to M40 (Northbound/Oxford), Tesla wanted me to take the Southbound M40 junction (which is before the northbound one), then double back at later M40 junction to head back north!

Very odd and much longer routing, needless to say, I declined and just took the Northbound M40 junction

There was no traffic or other visible reason I could see for this! its not a route I do often, so will not have the ability to test it again for some time.

Finally got the 2021 maps update.

I've got a vague recollection that the new maps contain additional data to allow for better visualisation of junctions/turnoff's or some such with either a recent or upcoming SW release.

Is this just a figment of my imagination or is anybody else aware of the same ?

I finally got my update today!

yesterday the car installed the 2021.12.25.7, today when i went to the car there was a game download update, i connected my phone as hotspot and downloaded the game, after this download finishes, the maps update also popups on the update screen to download.

I dont have wifi at the garage, my car only uses wifi from my hotspot when im at the car. So the download could be waiting there maybe longer. Also the game and map updates dont show in the app, only in the car as an update in the top icon and update screen.

Think the graphical junction stuff is only available in certain regions such as China, not available in the UK (yet?)

2020.48.35 supposedly introduced the improvements with a caveat that "Before this feature can be enabled, the latest version of Navigation maps must be downloaded via WiFi.".

That was immediately followed by no update until now. 🤷‍♂️

(I have to select "Show more" on the left to see the navigation bit on Teslascope for some reason, even though it's for all models)

My car has downloaded the update sometime in the last few days, I noticed it this morning, but I haven't been anywhere to see if anything has changed - although as no-one has said anything here I don't expect that it has.

Personally finding these 2021 maps to be very problematic in and around Southampton.
The roads are there on the map, but the navigation keeps doing crazy detours like the following from today... Before then shoving me off the Main road down a single-track farmers road to only re-enter the original road once again...

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 118
2020.48.35 supposedly introduced the improvements with a caveat that "Before this feature can be enabled, the latest version of Navigation maps must be downloaded via WiFi.".

That was immediately followed by no update until now. 🤷‍♂️

(I have to select "Show more" on the left to see the navigation bit on Teslascope for some reason, even though it's for all models)

My car has downloaded the update sometime in the last few days, I noticed it this morning, but I haven't been anywhere to see if anything has changed - although as no-one has said anything here I don't expect that it has.

The one I read - 2020.48.5 Official Tesla Release Notes - Tesla Software Updates said that this was 'Available only in China'. Then in a later version - 2021.4.16 Official Tesla Release Notes - Tesla Software Updates 'Available only in Japan'

I'm sure it will eventually be released in other countries though.

Personally finding these 2021 maps to be very problematic in and around Southampton.
The roads are there on the map, but the navigation keeps doing crazy detours like the following from today... Before then shoving me off the Main road down a single-track farmers road to only re-enter the original road once again...
Looks like it’s trying to route around traffic at the next exit
What’s even stranger is that if you’d followed the route suggested it looks like a complete dead-end after a housing estate to specifically stop you going that way.

Last edited:
Looks like it’s trying to route around traffic at the next exit
What’s even stranger is that if you’d followed the route suggested it looks like a complete dead-end after a housing estate to specifically stop you going that way.
Looks to me like it's asking him to go all round the housing estate then turn right onto a busy road with traffic up to the island. Yeah good luck getting someone to let you out of that junction!

I'm also concerned that your heated seats are on when its 20C outside! ;)

This morning, through the Tesla App my car told me that it wanted to install a software app. I agreed and about 30 min later it told me that it had finished.
Inside the car I checked the software page and it seems that I now have:
Navigation Data: EU-2021.8-12875
v10.2 Software 2021.12.25.7

I wonder if i'll notice!

This morning, through the Tesla App my car told me that it wanted to install a software app. I agreed and about 30 min later it told me that it had finished.
Inside the car I checked the software page and it seems that I now have:
Navigation Data: EU-2021.8-12875
v10.2 Software 2021.12.25.7

I wonder if i'll notice!
My car similarly updated software and navigation map yesterday. On a drive through Banbury the routing suggested I leave a roundabout one exit early and then, after about 0.1 miles, make a U turn to return to the roundabout and leave by the correct exit! Weird. I ignored it and left by the correct exit. Very odd.