Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Still waiting for my M3. But being prepared I looked a cheap tariffs and found EDF. Never seen it mentioned here. 8ppKW from 21:00 to 07:00 and all day Saturday and Sunday. 96 hours of off peak power. Just a thought for high mileage users.

Hi. Still waiting for my M3. But being prepared I looked a cheap tariffs and found EDF. Never seen it mentioned here. 8ppKW from 21:00 to 07:00 and all day Saturday and Sunday. 96 hours of off peak power. Just a thought for high mileage users.

I've been tracking EDF against Octopus Go and Agile for a few months now.

The key to making EDF cheaper than Go is mostly in being unable to fit your daily charging within the 4 hours of the classic Go tariff and needing to charge for more like 6-7 hours a night on a regular basis.

... and preferably having a lot of weekend use and not much daily use during the rest of the week.

If you can live with charging inside the 4 hours that Go provides and do actually charge for those 4 hours most days of the week then Go still has the edge.

On the other-hand, if you are leaving the house empty between 7am-7pm because of work then EDF can be a good choice as you will not suffer from very much of the higher daily rate and a bit more of the early lower rate...

As ever, it is entirely dependent on your own usage pattern...

Reactions: Roy W.
I've just moved to EDF ahead of receiving my M3, I've currently got an XC90 T8 and just plug it in after 9PM.

I've trained the wife to do all the washing/drying at the weekend although she was reluctant, and we delay our dishwasher until we've gone to bed so it also runs through the night.

I can see a saving already as I'm charging the T8 every night due to the limited miles it can do on pure electric, I can just about get to work and home without using the petrol engine.

I think the Octopus Go tariff would have suited me but the customer service wasn't great when I enquired and they said my smart meter (although it was fitted in July last year) isn't compatible.

EDF tariff standing charge and peak rate was still competitive vs my previous British Gas contract and to be honest, it's only 12 months and I can switch again so it's not really worth the time spending hours mulling it over/doing research.

EDF tariff standing charge and peak rate was still competitive vs my previous British Gas contract and to be honest, it's only 12 months and I can switch again so it's not really worth the time spending hours mulling it over/doing research.

That is certainly true, can easily spent more time than it is worth on the analysis.

Just collect your data and then it is easy to analyse against your particular usage patterns.

For me the difference between Octopus Go and EDF was rarely more than £1 a week.

Octopus Agile has turned out to be the best deal for me though.

I applied for standard tariff 28th Dec.
Officially supplied by them from 14th Jan
I then applied for the Go tariff via the website on same day, and the installer is coming on 6th Feb to fit the SMET2 meter.
I understand it may then take another week or two to migrate over.
All fairly painless

How long (on average) has it taken folks to switch to Octopus Go?

I assume they put you on any Octopus tariff to start with and then install a smart meter before finally moving onto Go?

Nick

It took a week or two to move supply into the standard tariff for me and then the re the move to the Goplan, I had a SMETS 1 meter but with the “secure” logo in from Ovo it so I was able to switch over pretty much instantly after the service went live.

How long (on average) has it taken folks to switch to Octopus Go?

I assume they put you on any Octopus tariff to start with and then install a smart meter before finally moving onto Go?

Nick
Yup.
Took me 2 months start to finish. the big variable is the lead time on getting a smart meter fitted. varys a lot dependant on where you are. You are probably not too bad in the midlands. The south seems to take longer I think. Probably more demand there.

Nah the south has it much better.. their meters are run off the O2 network which is in place and works.

The northern ones they tried to create a new one and roundly failed and octopus are *not* handling it well. Coming up to 4 months since I tried to switch, paying 25% more than I was because I'm on their 'standard tariff' and no end in sight, due to the inability of their support people to remember the things they were told the previous week, or indeed what their own installers said..

Nah the south has it much better.. their meters are run off the O2 network which is in place and works.

The northern ones they tried to create a new one and roundly failed and octopus are *not* handling it well. Coming up to 4 months since I tried to switch, paying 25% more than I was because I'm on their 'standard tariff' and no end in sight, due to the inability of their support people to remember the things they were told the previous week, or indeed what their own installers said..
Have you tried asking for a SMETS1 just to get a meter off them? After the two week wait from requesting a meter I sent them an email and said I would take a SMETS1 meter and it was fitted about two weeks later

Without getting into politics do we know where the north south divide is for this? Sutton Coldfield is not exactly in the North by most objective measures. I am at a similar latitude. Mine was fitted in about 5 weeks and seems to work. no idea which network it is on though.