Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I switched to this tariff and then found that if I use my EO Mini Pro to schedule charge at 12:30 it fails to charge, I assume because the car goes to sleep and does not wake when the charger is ready to supply? Does anyone have a workaround or experience with this issue?

I switched to this tariff and then found that if I use my EO Mini Pro to schedule charge at 12:30 it fails to charge, I assume because the car goes to sleep and does not wake when the charger is ready to supply? Does anyone have a workaround or experience with this issue?
Set a schedule in the car to start charging at 00:30

The charge start time scheduler and the departure time scheduler are mutually exclusive, so you can set either one, or the other, but not both.

It would be very, very useful to be able to set a start time and a stop time, to ensure that the car only ever charged between those two times, but there is no easy way to do this at the moment, plus you can't use any of the features of a smart charger to do this, as the Model 3 does not comply properly with the charging protocol - it refuses to charge if the charge point signals that power is available and the car happens to have gone to sleep.

You can schedule a start charging time too :)

I think it came in one of the updates in November.

Start time always been on UK Model 3's. Departure time was the new one.

Worth noting that if you leave car plugged in and charging previously completed, it will topup for a few minutes every now and then. Not sure if the timed scheduling affects that at all, but I suspect not.

I am on the Octopus Go tariff. My home charger is the Rolec, and its app is configured to recognise this tariff. Within the app, you can ensure charging will only take place when it is below a chosen tariff rate. I have set 7p, which means charging only occurs between 00:30 and 04:30.

• Helpful
Reactions: Keeper

I have the same setup, and the workaround I have at the moment is to leave Sentry Mode on. This stops the car from sleeping, so when you schedule your start and stop time in the app, the car is awake and will start and stop charging as per your schedule in the app.

The negative to this is that by leaving Sentry Mode on, it can use up to 200W per hour, so if you leave it on for say the 8 hours you're sleeping that will use up around 1.5kwh. This is what I'm doing at the moment and it works for me.

I am on the Octopus Go tariff. My home charger is the Rolec, and its app is configured to recognise this tariff. Within the app, you can ensure charging will only take place when it is below a chosen tariff rate. I have set 7p, which means charging only occurs between 00:30 and 04:30.
Surely this isn't working for you? a) The M3 doesn't wake up at 00:30 to take the charge, and b) the Ev.Energy app / integration with the Rolec is incredibly unreliable and goes offline constantly.

I too cannot see how smart charging is working on the Model 3 at the moment. I've done several experiements and these all prove, beyond any doubt, that if the car is asleep and plugged in then it always refuses to accept a charge when a charge point makes power available.

The only way around this is to use one of the features in the car to cause it to either stay awake (like sentry mode, which uses a lot of power all the time it's on) or to wake the car up by some other means, either manually or via a third party app that can wake the car up via the API.

I have noticed (from data recorded from the API) that my car seems to wake up every night for exactly 36 minutes, between about 00:30 and 01:30. I have nothing set for it to do this, so presume this is a routine call from the Mothership. It may be that if a charge point is programmed to make power available during this wake-up period it might get the car to start accepting a charge as it should. I might play around with the timing on my charge point to see if this is actually the case.

Surely this isn't working for you? a) The M3 doesn't wake up at 00:30 to take the charge, and b) the Ev.Energy app / integration with the Rolec is incredibly unreliable and goes offline constantly.
I am unsure that the Rolec's smart charging starts at its schedule time of 00:30, but I do get daily notifications from the Tesla app on my iPhone that charging was interrupted around the 04:30 time. I really ought to check via API the true performance of the smart charging.

I too cannot see how smart charging is working on the Model 3 at the moment...

...or to wake the car up by some other means, either manually or via a third party app that can wake the car up via the API.

The ev.energy app does the latter, uses the Tesla API to wake the car up and control the charging based on the selected tariff (and optionally grid CO2 generation predictions too). As a "belt and braces" I also have the car schedule set to start at the start of the off-peak period and a TeslaFi schedule to stop it at the start of the peak period: my understanding is that the Rolec charger falls back to "dumb" mode if comms to the ev.energy mothership is lost for a period of time.

Still occasionally get bitten by the 16A charging bug though, but so far only when required range was not a problem *knock on wood*

Does anyone know how long octopus take to get a smart meter insalled?

Also what does the referal code get?

lastly i'm with octopus EV for my m3 lease, does anyone know if i hve my own ref code?

i have e-mailed them to find out but waiting for them to respond.

Thanks

lastly i'm with octopus EV for my m3 lease, does anyone know if i hve my own ref code?

Thanks

Check your DM's.

Seems to be pot luck with smart meter installs... anecdotally from my reading of these forums I don't think octopus are any better or worse than anyone else.

Thanks
I think it depends a lot on where you live though i could not tell you where is good or bad. Mine is being fitted right now. taken me about 2 months. I am in the west midlands.