Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We switched to GO this week after the smart meter install last week. Using a 3 pin plug to charge (we both work from home, so low mileage) I'm using the car to initiate the charge at 0030 and the StatsApp to stop it at 0430, all going well so far. My local rate was also 2p per kwh cheaper during the day than my previous tarriff with Octopus - went from 15.75p to 13.71p.

May be tempted with Agile, but for the fact that we work from home so any spikes in the cost will not be good for us during the day. Plus, I'm not giving my landlord our grant for installing a charger (albeit, we're leasing the car so we'd get another one in three years if they're still going) so can't get a smart one to talk to agile auto-magically.

We switched to GO this week after the smart meter install last week. Using a 3 pin plug to charge (we both work from home, so low mileage) I'm using the car to initiate the charge at 0030 and the StatsApp to stop it at 0430, all going well so far. My local rate was also 2p per kwh cheaper during the day than my previous tarriff with Octopus - went from 15.75p to 13.71p.

May be tempted with Agile, but for the fact that we work from home so any spikes in the cost will not be good for us during the day. Plus, I'm not giving my landlord our grant for installing a charger (albeit, we're leasing the car so we'd get another one in three years if they're still going) so can't get a smart one to talk to agile auto-magically.

Since you both work from home (so are using more electicity during the day) and are not getting the full benefit of the off peak rate by using a 3 pin to charge I would say that the Octopus GO tariff is a poor choice. You need a tariff that has a low unit rate at all times of the day. I'm paying 0.105p per kWh. I would absolutely avoid the Agile if I were you unless you have a battery to fall back on.

Of course if you can get some Octopus referrals then that changes everything!

Since you both work from home (so are using more electicity during the day) and are not getting the full benefit of the off peak rate by using a 3 pin to charge I would say that the Octopus GO tariff is a poor choice. You need a tariff that has a low unit rate at all times of the day. I'm paying 0.105p per kWh. I would absolutely avoid the Agile if I were you unless you have a battery to fall back on.

Of course if you can get some Octopus referrals then that changes everything!

I've never been able to find anything for less than 14p a unit for electricity... no idea where you're nicking it from ;) Thing is that we're saving a lot of money on Go, it's a lot cheaper than all the other suppliers we've had in the past.

May be tempted with Agile, but for the fact that we work from home so any spikes in the cost will not be good for us during the day.

You are in a similar position to me, except for the slow car charging, but I'm also putting low mileage on the car so don't need to charge every day.

I've recently moved to Agile and I'm beating the Go prices every day for our mix of usage.

It is all about the 4-7pm period though.

We do cook with electricity, but we don't usually start doing that until around 6:30pm and we have light usage in the late afternoon.

The combination of not needing to recharge for 4 hours a night at 32A and naturally light usage in the 4-7pm period means Agile is a better tariff for us.

You can download your daily 30 min data from Octopus using their API and you can get the Agile tariff rates from there as well so just model your usage and you may be surprised.

Reactions: Roy W.
Simplicity Energy
Cauliflower tariff (seriously, that's what they call it)
I run a spreadsheet on my energy useage and despite a high standing charge it works for me.
There are others that may be worth a look - Symbio, Green, Peoples Energy (especially if you use gas)

Reactions: Roy W.
Simplicity Energy
Cauliflower tariff (seriously, that's what they call it)
I run a spreadsheet on my energy useage and despite a high standing charge it works for me.
There are others that may be worth a look - Symbio, Green, Peoples Energy (especially if you use gas)
What are the costs for the cauliflower tarrif? (if you dont mind!) I tried to get a quote but it doesnt work.

What are the costs for the cauliflower tarrif? (if you dont mind!) I tried to get a quote but it doesnt work.
not sure about that one and it varies by region but sybio was about 11.7p for me.
Best thing I have found is to go to Uswitch and when you get the quotes select:
  • electricity only plans
  • Include plans that require switching directly through the supplier
that is where you will find the really cheap ones