Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really think Bulb E7 could work out better for me too. Do you know if Bulb will install an economy 7 meter?

They installed ours back in 2018 but I've heard they stopped doing it!

Am waiting for Bulb to reduce their electricity prices this year, as in the last 18 months E7 rates have gone from just under 7p per kWh to just under 8p per kWh.

Combined with our PW, our average electricity cost over the next 12 months should fall to just over 8p per kWh.

What may make switch to Go is if our solar PV can generate enough electricity to offset the 3 hrs of lost off peak rates on E7. Looking at home usage the 1hr between 630 to 730am when we get up consumes a reasonable amount of electricity, especially if you combine preheating for the car.

I really think Bulb E7 could work out better for me too. Do you know if Bulb will install an economy 7 meter?

Unfortunately it's not something they do. We had a faulty E7 meter (peak & off peak wrong way round) and the best advice they would give me was to switch services to one of the top 6. Instead I switched to Octopus and am now benefiting from 5 hours @ 0.055p so only 2 hours shy of what I had before.

Amazing how many people get sucked into potential savings that are more than they are actually paying. If you are paying £300 for something, you cant save £400!

Agreed, no substitute for doing your own calculations and the way the comparison sites are forced to display and calculate the 'savings' is just plain misleading, but I blame Ofgem for that...

Octopus Go is still a great tariff if you need and use the hours at 5p/kW to charge the car/powerwall every night and can contain that use within those hours.

If you don't or can't do that then other tariffs are likely to be better.

For our mix of usage, Octopus Go works out close to the Bulb smart tariff and slightly more expensive than the equivalent EDF tariff, but Octopus Agile is way ahead of all of those for us.

Just as an example, last week our bill for each of those would have been as follows:

Oct. Go: £24.04
EDF: £22.09
Bulb: £23.17
Oct. Agile: £15.30

Agile is better in some regions than others it seems.

I've been keeping an eye on the stats on my region - Octopus Go versus Agile South Western England - Energy Stats UK - and it seems that there isn't much in it between Agile and Go.

Since I'm getting a M3P I'd be keen to keep the SoC high at all times for maximum performance, which would mean plugging in every night or every other night (I do about 40 miles a day).

On the plus side towards Agile, I would be keen to pre-condition the battery before I leave for work, and after 04:30 Go is on its max tariff whereas Agile is still in some cases 50% of that.

Since I'm getting a M3P I'd be keen to keep the SoC high at all times for maximum performance, which would mean plugging in every night or every other night (I do about 40 miles a day).

Every night I suggest ... establish the habit and avoid being caught out. Also for a warm car and maximised range a 10p squirt of peak electricity on a cold morning is cheap comfort! It also maximises performance as a cold soaked battery will show a "snowflake" warning. Tesla recommends leaving it plugged in and that's what I do and what I find to be most beneficial to my everyday use.

So to achieve that Agile figure you must be averaging around 7p per kWh. I presume you must have a massive load shift to cheap rates? PowerWall?

Having been a Octopus Go member and now Octopus Agile I think it pretty much can be summed up as "If you own a PoweWall/Battery storage that allows you to avoid pulling in electricity between 16:00 and 19:00 then savings can be made."

The savings really can be quite substantial especially if charging the car/powerwall when the rates are around 3p rather than the 5p for the Go tariff....of course the times for these cheap periods are not fixed and indeed sometimes they are over the 5p mark through the night.

But in general it's a case of if you have battery storage (and that battery is powerful enough to supply all the electricity to the oven etc during the peak time) then it's a better deal.

Reactions: gangzoom
The savings really can be quite substantial especially if charging the car/powerwall when the rates are around 3p rather than the 5p for the Go tariff....of course the times for these cheap periods are not fixed and indeed sometimes they are over the 5p mark through the night.
Pretty much excludes model 3 owners till Tesla sort out the wake from sleep charging bug :-(. Or some custom code to notice the cheap rate, wake the car and kick off charging. Would be worth it and presumably not too hard?

Pretty much excludes model 3 owners till Tesla sort out the wake from sleep charging bug :-(. Or some custom code to notice the cheap rate, wake the car and kick off charging. Would be worth it and presumably not too hard?

I have an ohme charger linked to Octopus Agile and it works great on my M3; it always wakes (sometimes several times a night if the cheapest half hours are separated) and I've never had a problem with it not pulling the full 32A

I have an ohme charger linked to Octopus Agile and it works great on my M3; it always wakes (sometimes several times a night if the cheapest half hours are separated) and I've never had a problem with it not pulling the full 32A

Hi, I’m looking at ohme charger at the moment. I switched to Agile last week and are still waiting smart metre to be installed. ( advise 6 weeks)
I would like to install ohme charger after Agile switch complete. Do you just order it from ohme website? How long it takes for someone to install? Any advise? Thank you

Our tariff switched over to Agile yesterday, an Ohme wall charger is being installed on the 24th and hopefully the car will be here in early March. I'm trying out various means to miss the 4pm-7pm peak without going to the expense of a PowerWall. Time-shifting the washer and dishwasher is no great issue and the Ohme will take care of the car. The biggest change will be find better ways to use the oven.

Hi, I’m looking at ohme charger at the moment. I switched to Agile last week and are still waiting smart metre to be installed. ( advise 6 weeks)
I would like to install ohme charger after Agile switch complete. Do you just order it from ohme website? How long it takes for someone to install? Any advise? Thank you

I bought mine from SmartHomeCharge and they did a nice tidy job on the install.

Nothing preventing it from sleeping; TeslaFi confirms it sleeps and only wakes when the ohme commands the car via the API.

That's a big plus for the Ohme charge point ... it may be the only option currently available that can reliably charge the M3 using charge point timer control. If they were to promote that USP they really could corner the market for M3 owners ... at least until Tesla sort out the sleep/control issue for other charge points.