Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that's quite some saving! I take it you avoid using at the peak which lets you sink the rest so low?

Yes, but to be honest it isn't so much 'avoid' as just naturally not using much in the peak period.

We eat around 7pm and even though we use electric for cooking, it is mostly used only in the last 30-40 mins of the peak period.

So to achieve that Agile figure you must be averaging around 7p per kWh. I presume you must have a massive load shift to cheap rates? PowerWall?

No, nothing exotic needed, it is more about being a low user in the peak period, once you have that sorted the rest of the day is only half the price of Go most of the time, so if you have a steady usage throughout the day outside of the peak period it is pretty easy to beat the Go tariff, especially if you don't actually need to charge the car fully each night.

Everyone has different usage patterns and I'm sure a Powerwall would be needed for some, but for our pattern it would have a really minimal impact and would never come close to paying for itself (doest it ever?).

Re: Power wall and similar: I had free night electricity for a year with Ebico and it still didn't make sense to 'use up' the lifetime energy throughput of the battery for the relatively small cost saving. Especially if you have an EV, you already have a big battery to charge up overnight.

So I have a big PV panel installation and the batteries are primarily to shift day time surplus solar PV for night use. From March to September I don't have any net consumption charging everything I can during daylight.

Re: tarrifs, I went with EDF. The tarrif stated it required a smart meter but on further investigation, that is optional. So I get around 5p night and 16p day with low standing charge.... And the 5p runs from midnight to 7:30am which is much better than I could find anywhere else.

Re: Power wall and similar: I had free night electricity for a year with Ebico and it still didn't make sense to 'use up' the lifetime energy throughput of the battery for the relatively small cost saving. Especially if you have an EV, you already have a big battery to charge up overnight.

So I have a big PV panel installation and the batteries are primarily to shift day time surplus solar PV for night use. From March to September I don't have any net consumption charging everything I can during daylight.

Re: tarrifs, I went with EDF. The tarrif stated it required a smart meter but on further investigation, that is optional. So I get around 5p night and 16p day with low standing charge.... And the 5p runs from midnight to 7:30am which is much better than I could find anywhere else.
Which EDF tariff is this?

Reactions: gangzoom
Which EDF tariff is this?

Simply Online 1 Year Fix Sep20v4 (E7)

I checked exact rates and I lied slightly.

Electricity day unit rate: 19.74p per kWh
Electricity night unit rate: 5.65p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 21.97p per day

But as my objective is zero daytime use from March to September, the 20p day unit cost is not too significant.

I have also installed a thermal store and heat pump that I run overnight to try and minimise use of oil boiler.

Ooo... Oooo... Ooo.. I almost forgot... My referral code.....

Just kidding. Don't think EDF have them!

Last edited:
Argh, Agile looks so good, but unfortunately unworkable for me. I'm sticking with Go as the other half and I WFH. Agile does creep up high when there are a few computers and multiple monitors on in the house... could end up costing us more.

Ooooh! What tariff is that? Sounds very appealing

Argh, Agile looks so good, but unfortunately unworkable for me. I'm sticking with Go as the other half and I WFH. Agile does creep up high when there are a few computers and multiple monitors on in the house... could end up costing us more.
I WFH and started on Go. Start of October to the end of December I would have saved about £15 on Agile with the following usages...

October - 1007kWh - £106
November - 902kWh - £98
December - 949kWh - £106

In January, after I switched to Agile, I had the following usage

January - 973kWh - £81 on Agile - £120 on Go
February (after 15 days) - 451kWh - £30 on Agile - £52 on Go

Agile will generally be cheaper than Go at least 17 hours of the day

Computers and monitors are not likely to be your problem.

I work from home as well, and to make Agile work it really is all about the 4-7pm period,

If you are a heavy user in that segment then it probably will not work for you, but being a heavy user the rest of the day works very well with Agile due to the relatively low unit price the rest of the day.

It’s very frustrating....

I started the transition from my previous supplier before Christmas. But although Im now supplied by Octopus, we are still not on Agile as our ‘smart’ meter needs to be replaced (again) by a smarter one. And we have still not heard a peep regarding the meter install over a month after starting with Octopus.

We have a Powerwall and can shift over 95% of consumption to overnight and sitting on a flat rate 15p is very frustrating - and more than twice as expensive as our previous supplier. At this rate it will take years for the increased costs this last couple of months to be recouped from the lower Agile pricing.

Especially galling is the 3hours of negative pricing on Agile early this morning. Between 2am and 5:30am I could have been paid for charging both the Powerwall AND the car. Potentially generating me a pound or so. Instead they continued to charge me a flat 15p and will bill me £3 for the privilege of taking power they were desperate to get rid of...

So I’m now £4 down in just a few hours and still any enquiries just state that their installers will be in contact ‘in due course’.

Not impressive.

It’s very frustrating....

I started the transition from my previous supplier before Christmas. But although Im now supplied by Octopus, we are still not on Agile as our ‘smart’ meter needs to be replaced (again) by a smarter one. And we have still not heard a peep regarding the meter install over a month after starting with Octopus.

We have a Powerwall and can shift over 95% of consumption to overnight and sitting on a flat rate 15p is very frustrating - and more than twice as expensive as our previous supplier. At this rate it will take years for the increased costs this last couple of months to be recouped from the lower Agile pricing.

Especially galling is the 3hours of negative pricing on Agile early this morning. Between 2am and 5:30am I could have been paid for charging both the Powerwall AND the car. Potentially generating me a pound or so. Instead they continued to charge me a flat 15p and will bill me £3 for the privilege of taking power they were desperate to get rid of...

So I’m now £4 down in just a few hours and still any enquiries just state that their installers will be in contact ‘in due course’.

Not impressive.

I just switched to octopus few days ago and awaiting someone to arrange smart metre installation. They advised could take up to 6 weeks. I’m in Manchester

Ooooh! What tariff is that? Sounds very appealing

Well, may be not sooo appealing as my day tarrif was incorrect in first post:

Simply Online 1 Year Fix Sep20v4 (E7)

I checked exact rates and I lied slightly.

Electricity day unit rate: 19.74p per kWh
Electricity night unit rate: 5.65p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 21.97p per day

But as my objective is zero daytime use from March to September, the 20p day unit cost is not too significant.

I have also installed a thermal store and heat pump that I run overnight to try and minimise use of oil boiler.

Ooo... Oooo... Ooo.. I almost forgot... My referral code.....

Just kidding. Don't think EDF have them!

For people wanting to switch to Agile and needing a SMETS2 meter, I believe that EDF will install a meter for the 'Simply Online 1 year' which could be a safe stepping stone.

Personally, until I can automate the charging / use profiling at least a day and ideally weeks ahead, Agile looks like too much stress if you are really going to try and make use of low / -ve cost periods.

I could easily avoid any consumption during Agile peak period, so as long as their rates stay around the present level, it would be a good deal for me, but not sure I trust the system to keep making an effort to give me the very lowest electricity cost.

Crikey, I can't imagine moving away from a supplier with a flat rate of less than 7.5p ... who was that?

We were on Green Energy Tide tariff that charged 8p per kWh at ‘Low Tide’ between 23:00 and 06:00. Formally 5p. Given that almost all our consumption was during low tide, that was effectively what we were paying.

A large proportion of Agile half hour slots, especially overnight, are well below that price.

Hence the change in supplier...

We were on Green Energy Tide tariff that charged 8p per kWh at ‘Low Tide’ between 23:00 and 06:00. Formally 5p. Given that almost all our consumption was during low tide, that was effectively what we were paying.

A large proportion of Agile half hour slots, especially overnight, are well below that price.

Hence the change in supplier...

I misunderstood ... I thought you were paying that rate for all your electricity.

Are there any Agile account (or others with SMETS2 meters) and solar PV getting FIT payment's who can confirm how their export payments are handled? I am concerned that while Agile might have benefits, it could also take me from 50% deemed export on to actual export.