Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Switchers / Energy Crisis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because all the projects currently built were built under those rules. Those who built them (and their investors) did so based on the rules. Changing the rules retrospectively will make it difficult for new projects to get investment as there is no certainty. The rules could be changes for new generation projects going forwards though

The investors were expecting a return, which is fair, but not 300% in 12 months.

It's clear the system itself is needlessly making the cost and inflation higher.

Reactions: yessuz
Exactly the same situation as me. The latest forecasts for next year from Cornwall Insights have got me seriously looking at ditching it now.

Unless I’ve completely ballsed up my workings, or Octupus and/or our illustrious leaders have some rabbits to pull out of a hat, I reckon the Octopus Inteliigent prices could be in the order of 110-130p peak and 20p off peak by the time Go Faster expires in Feb.

For me, i reckon switching now could save ~£900 up to Sep ‘23 and ~ £1400 up to Feb ‘24.

All heavily based on guesstimates of course, and just ignoring the potential for any meaningful interventions that affect unit rates and would even apply to higher income households.
Sadly, I think this most recent forecast from Auxilione sort of backs up my very rough workings.
B087BD29-0A06-4CA5-9201-37D14831E127.jpeg

Potential price cap of 110p for April-June.

Very tempted to switch

Reactions: robmcm
It’s a guess. And a headline grabbing one at that’s.
But still…. Jesus wept!
But it ties in with Cornwall Insights too, and both have been almost bang on up to now.

Martin Lewis has also commented that Cornwall Insights’s Jan forecast is likely in the right ball park because we are already 7 months into the applicable 10 month assessment period.

A big unknown, shamefully, is what government might do.

Last edited:
Anyone without a smart meter switched to Go yet? I switched to the variable tariff yesterday and was told I could apply for Go from tomorrow and hopefully lock in rates until it’s installed… not sure how likely that is but worst case their SRV is the same I was on with Bulb anyway.

Reactions: _Dave_ and MattM76
Anyone know if you can use IO with the granny charger? 20 miles a night would probably be fine for me, although I’ll eventually get a proper charger so can do that now if not. Does anyone have a list of the supported options? I know the Tesla G3 one works which was what I was tempted by anyway.

The good news is that at the moment you could probably sell your EV at a profit and so it's a bit harsh to say you've been scammed! Nevertheless I understand the sentiment. At the risk of being accused of scaremongering, the £1 per kWh is on the horizon for public charging early next year.
Domestic leccy will get near £1 kWh next year, let alone Supercharger!

Reactions: MattM76 and BillN
Status
Not open for further replies.