Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner building arsenal of emergency adapters and cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the 5-20. As other have said, over the course of a weekend the additional 50 miles per day is very helpful. Many outdoor outlets are 5-20, as are many engine block heater outlets that are right at the parking spot.

People seem to have strong opionions on these, but check out the Quick 220 or Steambrite Voltage Joiner, giving you about 3000 watts of charging power in many places. If you are considering one, educate yourself about the proper use and limitations of these.

Seems like in most cases if there is Chademo in the area there is a Supercharger in the area....just my personal experience.

Really? I would have thought a lot of the outdoor outlets on houses would be on 20A circuits because they might be for powerful outdoor appliances like weed eaters and leaf blowers. I haven't checked mine recently, though, so I don't know.

Yep, we recently installed 20A circuit and outlets on our BBQ island and such when we redid our landscaping so they probably are more common than first thought. But we did install a 14-50 in our garage for daily charging. At this point we think we'll be fine with the adapter set that comes with the car. Most of the places in our driving area use the J-1772 and we have a few superchargers here in the bay area.

Last edited:
Seems like in most cases if there is Chademo in the area there is a Supercharger in the area....just my personal experience.

YMMV. My nearest supercharger is 34 miles away in Mojave, but there are two Chademo stations 5 miles from me. And the Burbank SC was way out of the way (plus traffic) when I was running low on juice in Santa Clarita, but there were several Chademo stations within a few miles of where I was.

The OP is on the east coast which might have a similar Chademo density to CA.

Thanks for all the informative responses everyone.

After this I think it might make sense to get the CHAdeMO adapter. Didn't realize there were so many of them around until I just checked it out on PlugShare. There are quite a few superchargers around but rather be safe than sorry.

Reactions: rypalmer
Thanks for all the informative responses everyone.

After this I think it might make sense to get the CHAdeMO adapter. Didn't realize there were so many of them around until I just checked it out on PlugShare. There are quite a few superchargers around but rather be safe than sorry.

I have a CHAdeMO adapter. It's usefulness depends upon your location. In Texas, there are two types of CHAdeMO stations -- Nissan dealerships, which now usually will not allow Teslas to charge because corporate said it will damage the charger, and EVgo chargers, which cost $22/hour to charge. That still may make it worthwhile for emergency use.

Anyway, don't just look at the number of yellow balloons in Plugshare to decide on getting a CHAdeMO adapter for your area of travel. You have to dig deeper and see if they are ones that you will actually be able/willing to use.

People seem to have strong opionions on these, but check out the Quick 220 or Steambrite Voltage Joiner, giving you about 3000 watts of charging power in many places. If you are considering one, educate yourself about the proper use and limitations of these.
I did get one of these and have tried it out at home to be ready to use it, but I am realizing it's generally a waste of money and I would recommend people against it for the most part. The restrictions and impracticality are just too great. Here's the biggest problem. It cannot use GFCI protected outlets. Now think about building code. Outlets in a garage or on the outside of a house are required to be GFCI, so those are out. Dang, that's where the car is. So you have to use two different circuits from interior rooms of the house. That means you have to snake long extension cords through two rooms to get to the box and run cables out of a door or window, which you have to leave ajar overnight. It's just too irritating and something you would only want to put up with if you were really desperate. I would find just about any other alternative first.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Actually there are a lot of ChaDeMo chargers in Georgia, even some in fairly rural locations. Many of them are at Nissan dealerships where use by Teslas is not necessarily guaranteed as noted above, but Georgia Power has actually partnered with ChargePoint to install quite a few here. They cost $.25/minute to use.

Below is a snip from Plugshare of Superchargers:

upload_2017-3-17_13-11-17.png

And here is a snip of ChaDeMo.

upload_2017-3-17_13-16-4.png

Last edited:
I've read through some of the forum posts but still have a couple of questions.

I bought this 5-20 adapter from Amazon for $9.99: Amazon.com : Conntek 30129 15-Amp to 20-Amp Plug Adapter, 20-Amp Socket to 15-Amp U.S 3 Prong Plug : Generator Cord Sets And Plugs : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Is it the same thing as this from Tesla for $45? Tesla — NEMA 5-20

Don't really want to spend $450 on the CHAdeMO adapter from the Tesla site so I'll skip this one.

But, what other adapters should I get and do I need to buy them from Tesla or is buying one from Amazon for much less ok?

Thanks
You'll want a TT-30 to 14-30 for camping.

The 14-50 Tesla specific cord on evseadapters.com plugs into 14-30/14-50/14-60 outlets and provides a 14-50 receptacle. They also have adapters that convert TT-30, 6-20, 6-30, and 6-50 into 14-50 receptacles. Combined this covers quite a lot of options. However there are still some outliers:

5-20 (I would get the Tesla adapter)
6-15 (There is a Tesla adapter or you can get some other adapter to 14-50)
10-30 (Waiting on Tesla adapter to come back in stock, 10-30 has no ground so I would avoid a custom adapter with NEMA 10 plugs)

Since most outlets can be converted to 14-50, a 14-50 extension cord will cover most use cases. This leaves needing an additional set of cords when using Tesla adapters, which should be reduced down to 5-15 and 5-20 sockets. A 5-20 cord with an adapter to let it plug into a 5-15 socket should do the trick. Just make sure the receptacle on the cord is wired for both 5-15 and 5-20.

For custom adapters, make sure they are rated to pull 80% of their nominal amps, many are not (i.e. 6-15's should be rated for 12 amps continuous load but some adapters will only be rated for 10 for example ...)

One adapter which I have found useful in the past (but haven't used in quite a while now that there are more Superchargers) is a 6-20.
Many motel heat/a/c units use this socket. It can give you 240 volts at 16 amps (20 max) which gives about 9 mph of charge. I've used this at motels (with permission) to get 100 miles of range overnight.
I made my own out of an A/C extension cord wired to a 14-50 socket (have to dial down the amps to 16 max) or a 5-20 socket.

4 years ago an arsenal of adapters was a prudent thing to carry with you. Now, not so much. I have been driving exclusively electric since early 2013 and the number of times I have needed an adapter of any kind is two and both of those times were in 2014.

My experience is similar with, over 150k electric miles, on three cars, over 4 years.While it depends were ou drive, the adapter thing, except maybe the Tesla suite and the Chademo adapter, is yesterday's news. If I were buying anything now it would be.a 20 ft 1772 extension cord to get around an ICEing situation.

However there are still some outliers:

5-20 (I would get the Tesla adapter)
6-15 (There is a Tesla adapter or you can get some other adapter to 14-50)
10-30 (Waiting on Tesla adapter to come back in stock, 10-30 has no ground so I would avoid a custom adapter with NEMA 10 plugs)
I got my 10-30 plug adapter from EVSEAdapters, and they still have them.
NEMA 14-50R to 10-30P Adapter

I have every adapter Tesla offers including the CHADEMO.

Howver, the first adapter I bought and the most comforting by far is a J1772 extension cord. This means you will never be blocked from a charger because a gas vehicle has obstructed it.

JLONG™ - 20 foot J1772 extension cable

View attachment 223184

This one saved my bacon for about 2 weeks while we were doing a home renovation project and I couldn't park in the garage. Luckily I don't have an HPWC, just a regular Clipper Creek J1772 left over from my Volt as my home charger. This extension allowed me to run the cord under the garage door into my driveway to charge at night while parking outside.