Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New rear appliqué?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess that doesn't bode well for retrofits on existing cars. Even if Tesla did agree to replace both lights and the chrome strip, the car body may end up being tweaked to accept the new tail light assemblies.

i looked at the X photo more carefully to compare the tail lights with the Model S's. They're considerably different and a lot of body work would be required on the S to use the X tail lights. So I have to retract my earlier assumption. But the appliqué itself could be a different story.

I guess that doesn't bode well for retrofits on existing cars. Even if Tesla did agree to replace both lights and the chrome strip, the car body may end up being tweaked to accept the new tail light assemblies.

Apparently S cars are already rolling off the line with the new appliqué. I don't believe anyone has reported a new tail light design with new deliveries.

I found the following post in the thread JPP linked to that seems to bode well for the new applique being retrofittable, as does AmpedRealtor's post upthread:

Tesla still delivers cars with moisture in reverse light housing! - Page 3

There IS good news on this problem. Unofficially, but from a trusted source, Elon has "signed off" on the redesigned part and it will enter production "shortly."

As this has been a problem on all three of our MS's, we're looking forward to it. Truly a First World Problem, but one that should have been addressed, oh, about two years ago perhaps?

Yes, it will retrofit from the very first MS's as well--what other brand would do that for us?!?

I found the following post in the thread JPP linked to that seems to bode well for the new applique being retrofittable, as does AmpedRealtor's post upthread:

Awesome. Perhaps they have employed the changes made for the Model X to a re-design that will fit the Model S. I wonder, though, if the re-design no longer overlaps the tail light as has been speculated, how will that look?

The new part is available on all cars build from 12 august.

Attachments

• lenses.PNG
    lenses.PNG
    63.7 KB · Views: 353
So if there's no lens, and this appliqué is simply chrome sitting on top of a light fixture behind it, is there any rubber seal around that opening? The reason I ask is this - can dust, dirt, and grime get wedged behind the opening? If dirt or debris ends up accumulating there, without the ability to clean it out, it could get icky.

So if there's no lens, and this appliqué is simply chrome sitting on top of a light fixture behind it, is there any rubber seal around that opening? The reason I ask is this - can dust, dirt, and grime get wedged behind the opening? If dirt or debris ends up accumulating there, without the ability to clean it out, it could get icky.

My guess is that there's some kind of channel to drain water. I'm trying to get one of the new appliqués from my SC to take a close look at the design. When I do I'll post photos and comments.