Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Refreshed S, New HPWC's, New Decisions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

The good news: I'm one of the lucky ducks who ordered their Model S prior to the refresh, but will end up getting a post-refresh vehicle. (I'm very grateful, and am trying not to rub it in, promise!)

The tricky bit: In a Model S carrying a single 40A charger, I was leaning towards installing a NEMA 14-50, as 50A would provide the 20% buffer to max out the car charging at 40A. The old HWPC for a single-charger Model S was not terribly compelling because I wouldn't enjoy faster charging, and I'd be paying $1000 for aesthetics & usability.

My refreshed Model S will now have a 48A charger. Also, the HPWC's have come down in price to "only" $500.

My looming decision: Is the extra 8A "untapped" by an HPWC running 100A (or even 60A) worth $500?

Anyone else struggling with this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts gang.

In case it helps...

For me, it's always been fairly simple -- I want to have the UMC always with the car. When I leave the house, the UMC is in the car. If using the UMC at home, I'd have to connect and disconnect every time I wanted to charge at home. Undesirable. This means buying a second UMC or an HPWC. At the original pricing of the HPWC ($1250), it was a luxury to get the HPWC instead of a second UMC. With the revised pricing of the HPWC ($750), it was only a small overhead versus buying a second UMC. At the current pricing ($500), it's a no brainer -- I'd get the HPWC.

Also, I believe in other threads about the new Wall Connector (no longer called HPWC), if you have an 100 amp line, you can daisy chain the new wall connector with a second wall connector so you can charge both Telsas at the same time with 40 amp (or so) to each charger. I assume you also ordered the Model 3 like everyone else here, right? :)

Reactions: GSP
My looming decision: Is the extra 8A "untapped" by an HPWC running 100A (or even 60A) worth $500?
Works out to an extra ~ 6 mph. I tend to be a practical kind of guy so if I thought those miles would ever be appreciated I would pay for them.

Personally though, I am not a fan of high power lines with connections that can come undone with a mis-step. If the total charge difference including installation for a wall connector was $500 I would go that route for safety. It also happens to look cool ;-)

Thanks guys. Another question, if you please:

Do I run 100A to the HPWC, or knowing that the car can only except 48, run 60 amp service instead? My electrician tells me I could save about $200 in materials (and labor: easier wires to work with) if I kick things down to 60 amp service. Just trying to weigh likelihood of some magical hypothetical future situation where I'm charging 2 Teslas at once. :)

Thanks guys. Another question, if you please:

Do I run 100A to the HPWC, or knowing that the car can only except 48, run 60 amp service instead? My electrician tells me I could save about $200 in materials (and labor: easier wires to work with) if I kick things down to 60 amp service. Just trying to weigh likelihood of some magical hypothetical future situation where I'm charging 2 Teslas at once. :)

I like to future-proof. I would install it at 100A branch circuit rating as long as your load calculations say that it can be installed.

Reactions: Jumper and wang5150
As I did the economics on my house...a 14-50 installation would cost $300 parts (plus about $200 in trenching and experienced labor). A 100 amp install would cost $450 in parts (outside wiring) and would support two 14-50 plugs. Add the $500 Wall charger and install and the wall charger set up is $1,150. $500 vs $1150 for Maybe 8 amps?

BTW - I've been told to NOT go Wall Charger until the capabilities of the M3 are spec'ed out. No reason to build big if it can't make use of it. Not the same as Don't Build it, but wait until the M3 is known.

Reactions: SageBrush
Jumper,

If you are going to go the route of the current "wall charger" available, I would recommend adding the additional charger to your Model S. If you are going to have 100 amps available and 80 amps at the wall charger, you may want to consider the benefits of charging at 58 mph rather than the 28 mph that only a 40 amp service will offer. It will also improve charging time when you are using an older HPWC when "destination charging" at a commercial business.
My Tesla Ranger installed the additional charger at my home and provided a Model S loaner at no additional charge.

Reactions: Jumper
As I did the economics on my house...a 14-50 installation would cost $300 parts (plus about $200 in trenching and experienced labor). A 100 amp install would cost $450 in parts (outside wiring) and would support two 14-50 plugs. Add the $500 Wall charger and install and the wall charger set up is $1,150. $500 vs $1150 for Maybe 8 amps?.

It's $500 + $550 for a second mobile connector

So you'd be comparing $1050 to $1150

With that you have a dilemma on your hands.
Note that this assumes the wall connector installation cost is the same, which it most likely is not.

My opinion: run a 100amp circuit, and install one (or two) NEMA 14-50 outlets.
The second one would be for future proofing for that second car.

It's a straight forward installation, and with that a straight forward cost.
The WC will probably cost you $1000 more to get installed.

In addition, the outlet could be used for non-tesla (gasp) vehicles. Not that you would buy one of course, but a friend of yours might stop over with their lessor ride.

Sorry for the necro-post, but I wanted to let all of you helpful folks know that I went the route of the HPWC with an 8' cable. Right between the garage doors, so it's a nice, clean fit. If only the gosh darn car would arrive! :D

Used the Thumbtack app to get 5 quotes from electricians. Quotes ranged from $550 to $1750. I ended up going with a guy who did it for $700 all in. I have 100A service running through about 100' of 1" conduit with several bends, so I'm quite happy with the work.

2016-05-09 12.33.35.jpg

Reactions: GSP and ChrisJ
If you're running wires, run big wires. I'd go with wiring that will handle a 100a circuit, then put a 60a breaker on the circuit if you've only got a 48a charger on the new MS. HPWC versus 14-50 and UMC is about convenience when you go on the road. I have an EVSE connected to a 14-50 for my i3 and it's no issue, but the EVSE is mounted to the wall. A dangling UMC would be a different story.

Not to be flippant, but you spent $100K on the car, spend what you need at home so you don't need to run wires again and your daily charging experience will be as simple and convenient as possible.

I went for the dual chargers, which would now be the 72a charger in the refreshed MS, for destination charging, faster charging at home is not critical, I'm asleep.