Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not arguing that a 'heads-up, we're changing the second row of seats' may have been in order, but knowing why *it* changed doesn't actually change anything, does it?

Sure it does. If the change is aesthetic and folding seats can simply be designed in later, people wanting an X may decide to wait. If the change is due to structural issues and the X will never had folding seats, people on the waiting list may decide to cancel and purchase something else.

Model S's excellent cargo capacity gets praise ALL the time.

In comparison Model X, as seen, sucks.

And we should just be happy about that? About being "good enough" perhaps? Model S is great in this area. Now it seems Model X won't be, at least for a while.

The Model X will still have superior cargo room to competitors by cubic feet, by a huge amount. It is tremendously much more cargo space with passengers, and passengers are a big point for a CUV. Still don't think reviewers will have a problem, but I guess we'll just have to see.

Because Tesla repeatedly claims their production vehicles are better than what they showed off as a prototype.

As this thread shows, subjective statement is subjective. I think it's better than the prototype from all the info shown so far, some people don't. The frunk specifications (two golf bags, or a stroller) are tremendously larger what most people speculated.

As this thread shows, subjective statement is subjective. I think it's better than the prototype from all the info shown so far, some people don't. The frunk specifications (two golf bags, or a stroller) are tremendously larger what most people speculated.

It's only subjective if you're choosing to ignore that the 'fold flat' storage space was highlighted as a feature at launch and one of the few features reiterated after launch.

[/COLOR]The Model X will still have superior cargo room to competitors by cubic feet, by a huge amount. It is tremendously much more cargo space with passengers, and passengers are a big point for a CUV. Still don't think reviewers will have a problem, but I guess we'll just have to see.

All else being equal....and we don't know all the facts....I would personally trade the two golf bag frunk for a larger flat linear area in the back (aka...folding seats )

All else being equal....and we don't know all the facts....I would personally trade the two golf bag frunk for a larger flat linear area in the back (aka...folding seats )

I know what you mean. The frunk is great for extra luggage etc. but most regular use is going to be through the powered tailgate; manually lifting and closing the frunk on a regular basis will get old fast. Oooh, perhaps the frunk is electronically powered?

The Model X will still have superior cargo room to competitors by cubic feet, by a huge amount. It is tremendously much more cargo space with passengers, and passengers are a big point for a CUV. Still don't think reviewers will have a problem, but I guess we'll just have to see.

Do you have the cargo volume numbers for the X so that we can compare it to those competitors?

Sure it does. If the change is aesthetic and folding seats can simply be designed in later, people wanting an X may decide to wait. If the change is due to structural issues and the X will never had folding seats, people on the waiting list may decide to cancel and purchase something else.

...but then Tesla doesn't actually have to tell people the why, they need only say 'folding second row seats will be a future option'. :wink:

Do you have the cargo volume numbers for the X so that we can compare it to those competitors?
Cubic feet of space is certainly a valid way to compare space and I believe the X will meet or beat every other competitor with a similar wheelbase. That is important to me. However, more important is the linear space for me personally with many of the things I would put in it.

It's only subjective if you're choosing to ignore that the 'fold flat' storage space was highlighted as a feature at launch and one of the few features reiterated after launch.

yeah and I still can't, (after religiously reading all the posts in the model x forum), stop thinking that there MUST be some type of solution that we have not seen or thought of that will open up the interior space as good as or better than the 2012 prototype

Really? I would bet on a square-backed SUV, even without a frunk, besting a sloped design. That's a lot of space given up.

I'd argue that full-square full-sized SUVs aren't in the same class as the MX CUV/SUV, but maybe that's just me. (I very highly doubt that any full-box SUV will have more overall storage volume than the MX--many full-sized SUVs lose to the Model S in that competition...)

Anyways, it just comes back full-circle: if the Model X won't meet your needs, don't buy it and "enjoy" the purchase of your competitor.

Wife just got home. All that stuff leaning on the wall was in the car PLUS four ten footers that are at my feet. That's right, 120"x6" base moulding in a LEAF.
image.jpg

Make of that what you will. What I'm feeling is that if she can go to the hardware store and bring that home in her LEAF, and IF, by design, I am unable to do so in my Model X, Tesla should be ashamed.

Last edited:
I have to provide contrary points to a couple of items in the last few pages.

i.e., In fact, every element of Model X – from the interior to the falcon wing doors – either lives up to or surpasses the prototype we initially unveiled.
This claim is not necessarily broken by 2nd row seats that don't fold. It's possible the audience of judges leading to that claim think that the overall functionality of the current non-folding seats exceed the original overall functionality of the prototype folding seats.

since you mention pedantic pet peeve I find it odd that you cover Tesla so much and still misuse the term gull wing doors when referring to the model X.

Model X has falcon wing doors.

I believe it is fully correct to refer to the Model X rear doors as gull wing doors. It is also correct, and more precise, to refer to them as falcon wing doors. Falcon wing doors are a subset of gull wing doors with more specifics defined in how they function. But, according to every definition I can find, it is still accurate to refer to them gull wing doors as well.

I believe it is fully correct to refer to the Model X rear doors as gull wing doors. It is also correct, and more precise, to refer to them as falcon wing doors. Falcon wing doors are a subset of gull wing doors with more specifics defined in how they function. But, according to every definition I can find, it is still accurate to refer to them gull wing doors as well.
It think the objection to that is practically all gull wing doors are single hinge and thus calling the Model X rear doors gull-wing brings up the idea of an impractical design that needs wide clearance on the sides (esp for something as tall as a Model X; most gull-wing doors are used on a low slung sports car where single hinge works fine).

I think Elon invented the term for similar reasons. Technically you can call it a double hinged gull-wing door.