Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My screen often gets quite warm/hot even when the ambient temperature is low. I've written this off as heat dissipating from the MCU behind it. Many cycles of this would certainly seem to be enough to discolor some faulty adhesive.

Ok, well, that's a big difference actually - and it matters; "Hot car" is one thing, it could be said that people are allowing their cars to get too hot (I still disagree with this; it shouldn't really be our responsibility to keep the interior between a certain range of temperatures in order to maintain warranty -- however I could see some people stating that this is the case and it makes it 'wear and tear'.)

But if the MCU itself and possibly the backlight heats the screen, then, even in terms of heat, this should fall squarely within warranty and replacement territory, since that's absolutely out of the end-user's control.

But if the MCU itself and possibly the backlight heats the screen, then, even in terms of heat, this should fall squarely within warranty and replacement territory, since that's absolutely out of the end-user's control.
As far as I can tell, it's the top of the dash that gets hot, not the screen. At least that's what happens in my car.

The cause of the yellowing is not heat. How many times do I have to explain it?
As many times as people attention span lasts ;), but in fairness they are probably being pushed this reason from Tesla themselves or other internet Tesla 'experts'....oh you didn't have cabin protection turned on, well it's all your fault now.

As of LAST WEEK, where I live, and where the car has existed for it's entire life, it hasn't gotten over 45'F. We had snow last week.

The screen hasn't even had a chance to get hot, the interior of the car hasn't had a chance to get hot yet. But my screen is yellowing.
And there you go folks, a new car that never saw warm weather has failed, can we all agree once and for all it is not ambient temperature that causes it?
My own car has it and it was just the most bizarre thing, it literally happened overnight (parked in a garage), turned the car on and boom there was the yellow band.

OK, so I can add my saga to the thread. I was scheduled for a screen replacement today via mobile service, but just received a call from Tesla. They claimed they just found out the screens they received were not the new revised ones as they originally thought, but actually the old ones. As a result, he said I could have the screen replaced, but the yellow borders would definitely come back within a few months.

Although the replacement could be done today with the old screen, it would cost about $1,300. However he claimed a new screen would be available this summer and would be 'free of charge'. I asked why that screen would be free and the old one, still under warranty, would cost $1,300. He claimed because they knew that one would fail too, it would generate yet another replacement.

I'm not paying $1,300 for a screen whose future is uncertain, but I am a bit skeptical at this point as to what will happen in the near future. I asked him what's the guarantee that when this new screen comes out (IF it comes out), that Tesla's policy won't change and they'll decide to charge for that. He claimed my screen IS defective, under warranty, and Tesla must make good on replacement. Hmm, wasn't that the policy until a few weeks ago, even when replacing the screens with new ones of the same design?

We shall see.

Thanks for sharing this and this totally makes sense.

I don't care about any software nonsense fix because everyone's yellow border is a slightly different width and it changes in size so there is no way they can come up with a solution that perfectly matches everyone's yellow border pattern.

The explanation given to you is perfectly reasonable. I know we've had reports which allege they are not fixing this but that's an indefensible position. This is a hardware defect and sooner or later there will be a hardware solution and it will be covered in full under warranty.

I suggest we all take a collective chill pill and wait until towards the end of the summer, as that's the timeline we have been promised. If there is no solution by the fall, the collective freakout can resume. What's the point in tens and more pages of discussion until then? It really doesn't matter what causes this...

We know this is a hardware issue. They know it is hardware issue. We all know there needs to be a hardware solution and we have now been promised a solution by late summer. What else is there to discuss? o_O

If you are still worked up over this and can't wait until the end of summer, hopefully this helps...

Going to get my annual service soon, will see if they fix the yellow border while I’m there. Kind of hoping they will since i haven't gotten any replacement while others have went through several. I was waiting for the permanent fix too.

On Wednesday I finally got around to making a service appointment for the yellow band around the center screen. The next day I got a call from the Virtual Service Team who said they’d put me on the list for the new screens when they come in. To my surprise, I got a call from a mobile service person today who told me the new screens are now in!

Hopefully these screens last. I’m not available for the install for about 10 days but will report back when done.

I put in a service request for this on the app, got a call and scheduled a mobile service, was fixed while I was at work. Amazing experience and sad to hear this has not been the same experience for everyone

I put in a service request for this on the app, got a call and scheduled a mobile service, was fixed while I was at work. Amazing experience and sad to hear this has not been the same experience for everyone
Did they tell you this was a newly designed screen or a new screen of the old design?

It’s amazing the different experiences and stories we get. Disappointing.

It is well known that flat display panels age with time and heat. Is this really a material or manufacturing defect? You don’t try to get worn seats replaced for free, only if a seam ripped apart. Tesla just has no money to replace tend or hundreds of thousands of displays.

Have you read anything in this thread?

• My car is 5 months old, the screen started yellowing after two months. Is this "age"?
  • I'm in Colorado, my car was made in December, it snowed last week, it hasn't risen above 45'F. Is this "heat?"
  • The 2013 and 2015 loaners I've had, had perfectly fine MCU displays, shouldn't they have aged and heat up too?
Seriously, 60 days after receiving a car, in the dead of winter, a screen starts deteriorating and you're going to say it's "heat and aging"?

Tell me, @davelv , what did I do to "wear out" my display in sixty days? And why should I be expecting the screen to "wear out" in eight weeks?

It is well known that flat display panels age with time and heat. Is this really a material or manufacturing defect? You don’t try to get worn seats replaced for free, only if a seam ripped apart. Tesla just has no money to replace tend or hundreds of thousands of displays.

so you would be ok if your 5-month old car started to display the yellow banding on your screen? You would consider that wear-n-tear? I get that Tesla has no money, but they can't just make *sugar* up as they go and decide one day that its no longer a warranty item.

Im in no hurry to get my screen addressed on our Model X, but I truly do believe that Tesla should definitely make it right at some point with either the mentioned "fix", or replacement screen. Otherwise I can see another class action lawsuit sorrounding this, and the last thing Tesla needs, is to bleed more money to litigation lawyers...

Yes I would be upset too, but Tesla is run by Musk who decides on a whim how to run the company. No doubt his review of every cost has affected resolution of your issue. Also, Tesla’s warranty is not bumper to bumper like other auto manufacturers, but only for manufacturing or material defect. If you believe Tesla is not meeting its warranty, take them to small claims court for usually a a very low filing fee. You might be surprised at how quickly Tesla then fixes it.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Say what???!!!! I've had many flat panel displays including plasma, LCD & OLED. I've had them all and I've had many. Never once have I had one that developed yellow borders on all four edges. Did I say never?

Yes I would be upset too, but Tesla is run by Musk who decides on a whim how to run the company. No doubt his review of every cost has affected resolution of your issue. Also, Tesla’s warranty is not bumper to bumper like other auto manufacturers, but only for manufacturing or material defect. If you believe Tesla is not meeting its warranty, take them to small claims court for usually a a very low filing fee. You might be surprised at how quickly Tesla then fixes it.

If ever there was something that met the definition of a 'materials defect', this is it.

I am not sure if any one has already posted it, but Tesla has now a new response to the yellow border issue. I went to the service center in Houston, TX to day and when I brought up the yellow border issue, the representative told me that very recently they received information from Tesla that the screens will not be replaced, nor be repaired. Apparently, now they are claiming that since it is not an issue that affects drivability, it will not be replaced under warranty or be repaired. I asked again, since I was told earlier that they were waiting for tools to make the repair, but she confirmed that based on the most recent communication, even the repair will not be done.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I am not sure if any one has already posted it, but Tesla has now a new response to the yellow border issue. I went to the service center in Houston, TX to day and when I brought up the yellow border issue, the representative told me that very recently they received information from Tesla that the screens will not be replaced, nor be repaired. Apparently, now they are claiming that since it is not an issue that affects drivability, it will not be replaced under warranty or be repaired. I asked again, since I was told earlier that they were waiting for tools to make the repair, but she confirmed that based on the most recent communication, even the repair will not be done.

What a load of BS:mad:

I've explained this to people too, but still get people insisting it's heat. "It's a wear and tear part, you just have to use cabin overheat protection!" - Look, folks, not every Tesla owner lives in California. (I know, this is an absolute shock! But it's a fact! In actuality, DAErik, the youtuber who reported the replacement screens due to him having his replaced, is in Colorado and lives about two miles from me. It's cold for him, too, and his yellowed as well!) And unless I want to set my cabin overheat protection to 50'F, that theory is a non starter.

I got the car in December 2018. In Colorado. It was built in December, and I picked it up in the cold. And by cold I mean 20'F weather, not 55'F.

As of LAST WEEK, where I live, and where the car has existed for it's entire life, it hasn't gotten over 45'F. We had snow last week.

The screen hasn't even had a chance to get hot, the interior of the car hasn't had a chance to get hot yet. But my screen is yellowing.

If it's heat, how do you guys explain it, then? Is my car in the Level 5 FSD beta and driving itself to Reno each weekend without me knowing?

How much direct sunlight do you think the screen got?

Note that my 2015 screen is still perfect, never replaced. Just trying to figure out the deal with this thread.

Note that my 2015 screen is still perfect, never replaced. Just trying to figure out the deal with this thread.
There are a number of hypothesis:
1. It's heat related. This seems the least likely because it doesn't fit the instances
2. It's pressure related (the pressure used when sandwiching layers). Would be a supplier issue
3. It's material related. Could be either supplier or a specification issue
Mine is old so it has the leaky goo issue. If anyone wants to trade...
At over six years, it's time to replace MCU1 with MCU2 anyway so also replacing the screen as well isn't a biggie.

So I have the yellow border too (appeared over night). But I don't really get all the hub bub - its not that bad. I can still see stuff behind the yellow coloring, map, music, backup camera etc. Its just yellowed around the corner. None of my passengers ever notice. I mean I get they should fix it but the whole IM SELLING MY CAR THIS IS OBSCENE is over reacting.

Reactions: srredbeard