Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New software Wifi vs LTE which one receives update first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do cars connected to wifi networks receive firmware updates earlier?

Would sort of make sense since someone has to pay for the LTE data usage. If Tesla could reduce LTE data usage pushing software out to cars on wifi first then LTE after.

Is this the case or does it not make a difference?

Do cars connected to wifi networks receive firmware updates earlier?

Would sort of make sense since someone has to pay for the LTE data usage. If Tesla could reduce LTE data usage pushing software out to cars on wifi first then LTE after.

Is this the case or does it not make a difference?
It's done alphabetically based on TMC username.

Kind of related, am on software version 17.17.4 and wondering why I haven’t been upgraded to version 17.24.28 or somewhere close to latest release. I thought it might be due to having a weak Wi-F- signal in garage and a so-so LTE signal but I just set up a Wi-Fi range extender - AirPort Extreme as base and Airport Express. If I select my Wi-Fi network when sitting in car in garage Tesla connects to it but after I leave car Tesla reverts to LTE network. Car was manufactured 12/16 - HW-2, Model S 90D. Or am I a bit too impatient re software upgrade? Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Kind of related, am on software version 17.17.4 and wondering why I haven’t been upgraded to version 17.24.28 or somewhere close to latest release. I thought it might be due to having a weak Wi-F- signal in garage and a so-so LTE signal but I just set up a Wi-Fi range extender - AirPort Extreme as base and Airport Express. If I select my Wi-Fi network when sitting in car in garage Tesla connects to it but after I leave car Tesla reverts to LTE network. Car was manufactured 12/16 - HW-2, Model S 90D. Or am I a bit too impatient re software upgrade? Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Don't overthink it -- the releases beyond 17.17 are not being rolled out to AP2 except at service center appointments. AP1 got a mass rollout but AP2 has not yet, so it's perfectly normal that you're on 17.17.4. I am too!

If you really really want the latest update, some people have luck bugging their service center. Or rest in the comfort of knowing that there's probably a good reason why it's not rolled out yet, and your car will get it within a week or so of the real mass rollout.

Definitely take a look at the various views on EV-FW to help understand who is getting updates and how.