Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla 70D owner!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping that it's not a totally rebuild from scratch. I wouldn't normally be too concerned except the silence from the factory thing. So I'm hoping who ever figures out what's causing the issue will chime in.

In the mean time I'll try to think positive, but that's hard for me to do.

I just got back from a date and I don't think she wants to go out with me again.
Last night I had a dream that my mom was driving, and she crashed.
Sometimes I have this weird paranoia that I'll be fired, but I've worked for the same place for 18+ years.

Oh, and mine is blue so maybe I'll just think about how calming and relaxing that deep blue metallic will look.

Oh, I know this feeling. I was like that until 10 days ago!

When did your production finish up? I don't see the production end date on the Model S Order and Delivery Spreadsheet.
May 2nd I think I wasn't sure if it was 1st or 2nd.

- - - Updated - - -

When did your production finish up? I don't see the production end date on the Model S Order and Delivery Spreadsheet.

I just got an email from the delivery team because I asked them when it would be ready. They are shooting for the end of next week. I hope a few days earlier so I can drive to Montreal for formula 1!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I just got an email from the delivery team because I asked them when it would be ready. They are shooting for the end of next week. I hope a few days earlier so I can drive to Montreal for formula 1!
They replied again, I asked does it mean it's in Canada? They said it actually just rolled off the truck an hour ago! Whoo hoooo!

New owner and new to the forum! Picked up my White 70D last Wednesday, here are some pics:

At the service center
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1603.JPG

First supercharging experience at the original
IMG_1663.JPG

Supercharging at night
IMG_1667.JPG

New owner and new to the forum! Picked up my White 70D last Wednesday, here are some pics:

Awesome pictures - I'm jealous because my MS may never get to charge at the original supercharger - the mother of all superchargers - I bet juice from that supercharger makes your car last longer....

- - - Updated - - -

My DS never was able to figure out what was going on before Memorial day weekend. He went on vacation so he gave me some other contact. and that contact ignored my email. It's probably time I gave up on emailing.

I have this weird suspicion that something is going on with the QC with the 70D that we're not being informed about. Thanks to this thread I know I'm not the only one stuck in production with deafening silence from Tesla as to why, and I know in the Tesla Company forum one person's 70D actually failed QC so badly they're building him another car so his delivery date has been pushed into mid June.

I've heard zero QC complaints of people who have received 70D's. The long production time or QC driven total rebuilds could be just normal things that happen time to time, and there is nothing to worry about.

My situation is I got everything ready (the HPWC install, the Chademo adapter, and the center console ordered) expecting delivery near the estimated May 18th delivery date.

My loan application expected the loan would be issued within 30 days (at least that's the usual time limit for them). I even made the additional $7500+ payment to add to $2500 deposit for the total downpayment. I realize now that this was a mistake, and I shouldn't have made that payment until delivery. But, at the time everything was going smoothly and the DS had no issues communicating to me or with the factory.

As of now the very earliest delivery could be in the beginning of June and that would put it right on the edge of the 30 days of the loan approval.

But, if something happened and they need to build me another car than that pushes it to late june.

If I don't get it before June 30th I'll have to pay state sales tax on it (the exemption ends on June 30th).

Now I did tell my DS before I ordered that I would cancel (and lose the $2500) if delivery slipped past June 30th and they made all sorts of promises and assurances that there was plenty of time (this was back in April) and there was no way that would happen.

In the mean time I've asked for the $7500 back even if it's just a symbolic move. It might seem silly, but it's kind of a control thing. You never give someone money until you absolutely have to, and I'm less than pleased at myself for screwing up yet again on that rule.

Well, I can tell you that they had a quality control issue with my 85S. I just talked to my DES. Production started 5-5-15, and just finished today 5-27-15. She said the delay was a quality issue found in the quality check, and it took that long to fix it. I didn't ask - didn't want to know what it was. She just said "it was nothing mechanical". I'm not worried, based on the great service I got on my 2013 Model S. It was a great car, and if it had had auto-pilot I certainly would have kept it. Anyway, my delivery is going to be next week, Saturday at the latest. I'm not happy with the delay, and they missed their "late May" promise, but at least they're going to deliver a quality vehicle with no problems (I sure hope, since I'm taking it on my first supercharger adventure from Houston to Tennessee about a week after getting it!)

My 70D was also built on 5/5 and has been in the same black hole as your car for the past 3 weeks. I also heard from my DES today, with essentially the same description of what happened as you received. Hopefully there are no lingering issues. Happy to finally see some progress towards delivery, even if it will end up being 2-3 weeks late.

I don't think we're really getting the full story of what happened to the cars of a build date on or around 5/5.

How in the world did all these cars somehow end up getting delayed for so long? Mine is still in production.

There is at least a few of us here along with a few from the other Tesla forum.

The excuses I got from my DS slowly escalated from "it's normal to take a little longer", to "it's stuck in QC for some reason, but don't be alarmed"

But, none of that was good enough for me. It didn't tell me what was wrong, or why so many were involved.

Something happened that was abnormal, and I wasn't having any of their excuses.

Finally my DS was able to get some information from the factory. According to him the cars were stuck waiting for inspection because they used some new kind of Noise insulation foam. He said something along the lines of Beta Foam, or Zeta foam or something like they. My DS can't seem to just email me. He probably knows I hate talking on the phone.

Now I don't know the full story. I don't know if it's better or worse, or anything. I don't know if it's meant as an enhancement, or if there was some supply constraint and they switched over to a secondary source.

I do know Tesla is known for making changes abruptly, and using people's cars as beta testers.

So maybe it goes with the territory.