Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S Has 2nd Triple Cam For Autopilot & Pedestrian Noise Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh wow! Hope it's all true. I will feel better about my S on order and also feel a bit better about my last minute change to a lease.

"Tesla started installing new housing in cars this week." WTH!
My S is already enroute to NY. If true I just missed this.

Last edited:
So if the earlier Reddit rumor is true we may indeed see some of that new hardware (i.e. 3 cameras) early September then, if not before. If this leaked then it's probably very close - that, OR it will severely damage Tesla sales until it's official. I would hold out for it (this is what I did back in Feb, hearing rumors of refresh and new AP which turned only half true). I won't be too pissed if at least it is making its way into the upcoming family X we expect for early October...

Reactions: MP3Mike
Couples of things that I consider "new" (but maybe I dont read enough)
1/ Electrek has a an inside source (or close to) ; when cleantechnica did the original article based on MA drawings with 3 cameras and predicted launch with refresh, it was - correctly - quickly rebuffed by their "source", as it didn't happen. Now the source says it is imminent.

2/ more radars seems to be the way to go for even more data ; EM hinted at a new use of the existing one to map out the environment in a form of 3D but it's the first time I'm seeing multiple radars

3/ existence of a version of the software to run current AP functionality out of the new hardware clearly hints at another hardware launch before the software comes, so all the pieces seem ready to be rolled-out for at least AP 1-level.

4/ need for MCU upgrade. It's been speculated for a long time (the processing power of Tegra 3 + Tegra 2 is quite frankly super limited ; we are in 2016...) but the new AP seems to be forcing it. It is about time.

Couples of things that I consider "new" (but maybe I dont read enough)
1/ Electrek has a an inside source (or close to) ; when cleantechnica did the original article based on MA drawings with 3 cameras and predicted launch with refresh, it was - correctly - quickly rebuffed by their "source", as it didn't happen. Now the source says it is imminent.

2/ more radars seems to be the way to go for even more data ; EM hinted at a new use of the existing one to map out the environment in a form of 3D but it's the first time I'm seeing multiple radars

3/ existence of a version of the software to run current AP functionality out of the new hardware clearly hints at another hardware launch before the software comes, so all the pieces seem ready to be rolled-out for at least AP 1-level.

4/ need for MCU upgrade. It's been speculated for a long time (the processing power of Tegra 3 + Tegra 2 is quite frankly super limited ; we are in 2016...) but the new AP seems to be forcing it. It is about time.

They have what they say is a source in the AP program, yes. We'll see how that turns out rather quickly it would seem. :)

Yeah, the "radar on every corner hasn't shown up before - I was considering that part of the same little section from the source.

There's been a lot of talk about the getting the current version to run on the new sensors - lots of folks think that's what the photos from a few months back with a whole bunch of cameras and an odd fender looking section out in front of the car were doing - some sort of new vs old validation.

Tesla Autopilot 2.0 hardware possibly spotted on Model S test mule

The MCU part is interesting. I thought Tesla moved to a K1 chip a while back:

Exclusive: The Tesla AutoPilot - An In-Depth Look At The Technology Behind the Engineering Marvel

You'd think that was plenty of power. OTOH, trying to run AP entirely out of the module on the windshield over CANBus certainly does put some limits on what the system can do, based on bandwidth alone.

If this rumor is right, I either have nearly the last X with old hardware or - if I'm really lucky, one of the first with new hardware (well, the new housing and presumably wiring, anyway - according to the rumor.) (Scheduled for mid-late August delivery.)

As long as Tesla is paying for all of the bandwidth, you'd think they want a web experience that's good enough to be useable, but tends to discourage folks from doing too much surfing with it - at least on cellular. No benefit to throttling on WiFi except to keep people from realizing it is happening on cell - but that seems kinda byzantine for Tesla to be doing.

Throttling clock speed would not necessarily do it. K1 was a new architecture, unlike Tegra 2 and 3 (and 4) that would run essentially the same code besides graphics ; you'd need to recompile to run it on K1 (it was morphing ARMv8 code into something proprietary to nvidia), and some programs would still be faster and others way slower... At this stage you don't want to have to run too many branches that each need maintenance and testing for each firmware.

It's true that the browser speed/usability is abysmal. They just never spend any time optimizing it and dropped the ball (couple of years back EM was hinting at upgrading it to Chromium to at least have javascript at decent speed but they never did).

Now the day full autonomy is there I'm sure they'll have plenty of entertainment to give us during our rides :p

A mysterious Reddit post implies new hardware coming around early September.

Wait to buy model S, hoping for next gen autopilot hardware?

Essentially, this is what got everyone excited.

"Little birdie told me: new hardware installed in 45 days Xs and refreshed Model S capable of retrofit for $$ activation of new ver of AP still more than 180 days out"

Anyone think this might be true? We might upgrade but hold off delivery until late October.

Now that more info has come out today, this Reddit post is looking pretty close to what might be the truth. Maybe it was Elon after all. But I wonder if cars this week will have all the components or will there be more added in 3 weeks. Still waiting to decide on upgrading.

I'd say wait until early September. If something is cooking they'd want to announce that as soon as vacation month is gone to maximize demand. Now if it comes with (small) price increase may be worth ordering now and asking delivery end of year, then switch back to asap when announced.

I'd say wait until early September. If something is cooking they'd want to announce that as soon as vacation month is gone to maximize demand. Now if it comes with (small) price increase may be worth ordering now and asking delivery end of year, then switch back to asap when announced.
That's what I was thinking. My husband wants to wait until announcement. But we have an S85 pre AP to trade in. We checked 3 mos ago and they'd give us $51K. I'm sure that's lower now and could drop more once this new version is announced. A little chancy.

image.jpeg
Hope for the better now! And better in new production!

Sometime the System is not working well, one it's like "don't SEE anything at all" as pictured! Not the car or line, side sensors have no problem but I guess the cam is!

Has anyone had it happen to your s?

May happen on edge cases when the vehicle in front is not moving or when its structure is hard to interpret (i.e. trailer). Happened once to me on the highway at traffic hours. Car in front of me changed lane and AP did not immediately capture the empty silver auto trailer that was in front and started to accelerate into it - had to brake myself. You could see it had issues identifying and positioning it correctly as the car/truck symbol was flickering a lot on the dashboard.
That's why we need to pay attention.

May happen on edge cases when the vehicle in front is not moving or when its structure is hard to interpret (i.e. trailer). Happened once to me on the highway at traffic hours. Car in front of me changed lane and AP did not immediately capture the empty silver auto trailer that was in front and started to accelerate into it - had to brake myself. You could see it had issues identifying and positioning it correctly as the car/truck symbol was flickering a lot on the dashboard.
That's why we need to pay attention.
it was not normal, seem to be affected by latest update!? I have seen few as six cars showed up on dash by radar but now fewer... no problem on reading speed limit etc... and sometime the collusion warning came up so early... tried to reset few times...