Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires killed my range (20-30% decrease)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been following the BMS thread like a hawk since it was posted, but no luck yet. I did some pretty extensive troubleshooting with @AlanSubie4Life (there's a whole thread or so), and it looks like I'm ~8% or so degraded. I'm strongly considering upgrading back to SR+ to try to recapture some of my lost range.

Not odd at all, the rolling resistance effect on the overall resistance calculation should peak about at 45 mph. Going up, aerodynamic resistance takes place more and more on the total resitance.

It must be said that you should do some thousand miles on new tires to smooth the tires as they comes from production line, it will get slightly better.

But in any case, people should realize that rolling resistance effect it's huge, large tyres are critical and that you in USA should work to have the labels on tyres with the tyre classes as in EU:

1200px-EC_tyre_label_CA.svg.png

But who tests for that? If this is just numbers from the manufacturers then it's pretty much useless.

But in any case, people should realize that rolling resistance effect it's huge, large tyres are critical and that you in USA should work to have the labels on tyres with the tyre classes as in EU:
Love this information—thank you. Is there a website where the less fortunate amongst US can find this data? Such a simple, clear and helpful labeling system. Well done EU!

OP it is unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) you have truly lost 10% of your battery after 50k miles.

This is actually not unusual for Model 3. Especially after 50k miles in an SR (~50% more cycles than an LR with same mileage!). I have 20k miles after two years in a Performance and I have about 7% proven capacity loss (measured discharge on a long continuous trip, and accounted for buffer). And it’s not like I am the worse case. There are plenty of people in the mid to low 280s.

I believe @lateulade has also measured discharge carefully in the past. It gets old after while. At least it appears his car did not keep losing miles - as I recall most of his loss was when the car was just a few months old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
FWIW I made this exact tire change.... lifetime on the MXM4s (bit north of 20k miles) was ~263 wh/mi

After about 1500 miles on the Pilot Sport All Season 4 I'm at about ~284 wh/mi

An increase in consumption of about 8%. I imagine it'll adjust a bit as the mileage goes up... but 20-30% certainly seems high from JUST the tire swap.

(Car is LR AWD+ BTW, and my driving is like 90% or more highway at speeds in the 75mph range +/- a bit)

FWIW I made this exact tire change.... lifetime on the MXM4s (bit north of 20k miles) was ~263 wh/mi

After about 1500 miles on the Pilot Sport All Season 4 I'm at about ~284 wh/mi

An increase in consumption of about 8%. I imagine it'll adjust a bit as the mileage goes up... but 20-30% certainly seems high from JUST the tire swap.

(Car is LR AWD+ BTW, and my driving is like 90% or more highway at speeds in the 75mph range +/- a bit)

I am considering these tires, too — how do you like them? Would you buy again? Thanks.

I am considering these tires, too — how do you like them? Would you buy again? Thanks.

Happy with them so far- Now to be fair I think nearly anything would be better than the MXM4s (in terms of handling/cornering, stopping distance, etc) but they're certainly noticeably better at those things (I've taken a few nice sweeping exit/interchange ramps a good 15-20 mph above where the MXM4s seemed happy doing so for example)

I was torn between these and the summer PS4s tires.... the objective test results between the two was "close enough" and it gets below 40 degrees here just often enough, that the (relatively) small performance difference seemed worth giving up to not have to worry about not being able to drive the car the few days of real winter we get here.

So far would say I'd buy again- though I guess ask me in another 20-30k miles to be sure :)

Reactions: MJP.P3D-
Finally replaced the stock 18” Michelins on my SR after 43,000 miles after hitting 2/32. Lifetime consumption over 43k was 218kW/hr.

Got a great deal on the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 at Costco, and immediately noticed my consumption went through the roof. I’ve put almost 1k on them this week, and my consumption is hovering in the 260wh/mi range — no change at all in driving style. Oddly, I’m noticing worse efficiency on slow drives. Taking my girls to school at 35mph is usually a 170kw/hr trip, today it was 220. Highway drives that are usually 220 are now 260-270.

We have a 1,500 family road trip coming up this week, and since I have “just” an SR, I’m nervous about a 158 mile leg. My battery is ~10 degraded, and I was getting 200 real world miles before, but now I’m only getting 160. Not thrilled about the prospect of driving 40mph on the highway, or worse, getting stranded.
1. New tires always have more rolling resistance than worn tires.
2. Pilot Sport are not as efficient as Primacy MXM4.
3. Check your tire pressure.

Good info. Might have to try the CC+ instead

I was going to propose the same. I have them on my Model 3 (18 inch) and have not noticed any energy consumption increase, compared to the original summer tires. I drive them exactly at the prescribed cold pressure of 2.9 bar. So far I'm very happy with the change. They seem to be a bit softer in curves, but (a) this may change as the profile wears down, and (b) I don't care anyway. I'm not a racer. They are not noisy either. They sing a little bit, which fits an electric car nicely.

I agree with others though that more than 20% sounds difficult to ascribe to the tires alone.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you can check your efficiency at 65mph, using ABRP. That way you can have an actual meaningful benchmark for your tire's efficiency compared to others. Mine is 235Wh/mile at 65mph according to ABRP, for a LR-AWD. Would be interesting to compile a list of these for various tires.

You only need to sign up, and have it calibrate for your vehicle. I boxed mine in red below. If you supercharge, it'll also give you some info on your car's deg. I have Vredestein Quatrac5. How does it compare to the OEM's? It seems about the same as far as I can tell. I don't have a comparable ABRP reading since I think this ABRP feature came out after I switched tires:
IMG_6435.jpeg

FWIW, ABRP shows 232 Wh/mi @ 65mph for my stealth performance, with the original tires at around 16k miles. My lifetime efficiency is around 298 though. The thing that sounds more odd to me is how the OP has such great efficiency on the older tires... is SR really that much more efficient?

Reactions: Dolemite