TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Uberturbine wheels coming to Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Zoomit, Oct 11, 2020.

1. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Always been a pet peeve of mine. Most turbine type wheels are asymmetrical with the passenger side "WRONG WAY" since it is a lot cheeper to one wheel style for all four. Here is my previous Cadillac ELR and always bugged me.

IMG_4457.jpeg

IMG_4466.jpeg

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. turns2stone

turns2stone Member

Well, I don't hate 'em.

I actually kinda enjoy the fact that my '20 Performance now has somewhat unique wheels, the Gunpowder Grey Performance 20".

• Like x 4
  3. MarsOrBust

MarsOrBust Member

That bugs me also, will have to wait and see if they did it right but I am betting they did not.

4. MJP.P3D-

MJP.P3D- Supporting Member

I’m loving those new Uberturbines. Very likely that I’ll order a set for the Model Y (greatly prefer the 20” size vs the 21” that comes standard on the MYP). 9” width and 34mm offset are perfect. Win!

5. iamnid

iamnid Member

You may be interested in these: Tesla Model Y Wheels-20" TSV Flow Forged Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories
    Granted they aren't 9" wide but I bet tsportline would make them 9" wide and 34mm offset (BTW, why are we mixing imperial and metric?)

6. aspec818

aspec818 Member

Now question is are the new wheels lighter?

7. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

They added the wheel to the EPC and there is only one part number, as I posted previously. They do not offer directional versions of this nor any other wheel.

• Like x 1
  8. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

real question to me is do they perform better aerodynamically than the other 20" rims? Just from a lay standpoint they look like they would.

9. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

Yes, the Uberturbines are better aerodynamically, but the difference would be hard to measure. (To test it, you’d need to start with the same tires at a similar tread wear level.).

We should be able to quantify the difference in the wheel efficiency using the road load data in the documents Tesla provides to the EPA. The caveat is that that data will also include any differences due to a tire change. I’m reading that these wheels might come with P Zeros but I have not seen that on the Tesla website to confirm.

10. Eddie1218

Eddie1218 Member

The configurator says P Zeros

11. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I'm seriously considering this as well. If you go through with it let me know how it works out! :)

12. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

#32 Zoomit, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    I believe you but having looked three times now, I can’t find it. Maybe it’s a mobile vs desktop thing. Gotta fire up ye olde mainframe to check.

Edit: Indeed, my 2008 Mac Pro displays the note about P Zero's, which is not visible on the mobile website.

Back to the point, with both new wheels and tires, any changes in the road load data will be impossible to parse and attribute to just the wheel aerodynamics.

13. To3OrNotTo3

To3OrNotTo3 Member

Which P Zeros are they though? All Season or Summer?

14. M3-Ita

M3-Ita Member

Switching from Michelin Ps4s to Pirelli P Zero is a bad “deal”
    I had the Pirelli P Zero in one of my cars. . . “destroyed” after 10,000 km and performance below the Michelin . . .
    I dont like these “wheels”, the “old” looks 10 time better and more “sporty”

• Like x 2
  15. TheRFMan

TheRFMan Member

That's very interesting about the tires. I was wondering what everyone was talking about, because it still says 4S for me. I'm in Canada, and the Canadian configurator states that it comes with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (Both the French and English versions of the web site). I tried a whole bunch of other countries, and they're all on Pirellis.

I guess we're special in Canada :)

16. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

That is very peculiar. It may be that that portion of the website just didn't get updated as an oversight. There's still a bug that keeps the mobile site from seeing the wheel as a portion of the "Show Performance Details" and that note about tires.

On a probably unrelated note, the Uberturbine wheel info that I posted previously has been removed from the EPC. They also removed the entry about to the 19" Stiletto Refresh wheels.

17. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

How does a less than 1% increase in weight have any significant impact?

18. TheRFMan

TheRFMan Member

It's unsprung weight, and that makes a big difference. Also more rotational inertia.

• Like x 3
  19. MJP.P3D-

MJP.P3D- Supporting Member

[
    @Zoomit — Did you by chance take a screen shot of the page with the 20” Uberturbines? Would love to know the part number but can no longer locate on the site....

20. RoBoRaT

RoBoRaT Zero Farts Given!

Here we go! @Zoomit.

Minding (unknown) Load Rating of these new wheels...I am planning on putting these 20x9.0 square P Model 3 Überturbines on my P Model Y, to replace the staggered 21" Überturbines.

And reload 20 Sportwheels (when/if) I get this refreshed P Model 3.

Any thoughts?

Tires will be:.

P Model Y 255/40R20 Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+
    P Model 3 whatever the refreshed 20 tires are.

Picture for attention, current Y set up.

20200904_161403.jpg