Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Wall Connector :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info, I am just prepping for the future, I would like to use the Mobile Charger for awhile and see how that works out, but want the flexibility of adding on WC without having to getting another feed from the main breaker. The sub panel solution sounds good. Would there be a problem if I install100 amp and just use the Mobile Charger for the time being?

Yes, because you may not install a 50A receptacle on a 100A breaker. However, you *can* run a 100A-rated conductor (#2 or #3 in conduit - #2 NM/Romex doesn't count) with a 50A breaker and a NEMA 14-50, then swap out the breaker in the future should you change it.

On page 29 of the manual it says if you run in slave mode the maximum current of the master must be set at 40amps (set master rotary switch to 8, slaves to F). Is this true? I thought we would be able to run them all at 80 amps and have them round robin or do some sort of partial load distribution, not to exceed 80 amps total.

I have reached out to my contacts to confirm if there is a limitation. For now I believe this is a typo and that you could set the master unit up to a 100A circuit.

Thanks. This looked serious when I actually took the time to read it during the unboxing. Hope it is a typo.

Confirmed that it's a typo:

Tesla said:
Result of when the 3-phase installation manual was used to write the single-phase manual. The 3-phase unit has less settings (8), hence the 1-8 directions. Will be updated to the full 1-D for the North America installation guide is updated.

It's a solution to itself. The dangling live end was not necessary. Again from this idea that it plugs into a "station" instead of it just being another appliance, like a leaf blower or a toaster.

So you want a cord permanently attached to the car? I can think of some problems with that:

• What cord length? You'd want to make it fairly long to accommodate more charging stations.
  • How do you store the cord? A cable for 80A charging takes up a lot of space, especially if you include some sort of reel in the car to roll up the cord.
  • 240V outlets are more dangerous than 240V EVSEs, because there's no live outlet for someone that doesn't know better to stick something in. A lot of property owners might not want the liability. 120V outlets are safer than 240V outlets.
  • You'd need a second cord for supercharging, because the cord needs to be larger (to accommodate the current) and shorter (so it doesn't take up a huge amount of space in your car). Or just have a charge port for supercharging.

So you want a cord permanently attached to the car? I can think of some problems with that:

• What cord length? You'd want to make it fairly long to accommodate more charging stations.
  • How do you store the cord? A cable for 80A charging takes up a lot of space, especially if you include some sort of reel in the car to roll up the cord.
  • 240V outlets are more dangerous than 240V EVSEs, because there's no live outlet for someone that doesn't know better to stick something in. A lot of property owners might not want the liability. 120V outlets are safer than 240V outlets.
  • You'd need a second cord for supercharging, because the cord needs to be larger (to accommodate the current) and shorter (so it doesn't take up a huge amount of space in your car). Or just have a charge port for supercharging.
A lot of people carry their UMC's with them already. After all it is the MOBILE connector. Again since extensions aren't allowed, people are carrying a fixed length cable in the car already. The HPWC is also fixed length. Every EVSE I've seen also has a short cable on it.

"Someone might stick something in an outlet" you might as well outlaw soup because you can drown in soup.

You would only need a separate port for supercharger. No big deal.

Between the UMC and a HPWC, you've already spend $1100 on charging related apparatus for the car, and all you wanted to do was plug in. Just 2 years ago, that number was what, $1850? While not too much compared to a $140k car, it's a lot for a $35k car. Not to mention these devices are already cheaper than anyone else's EVSE's, probably close to cost.

A lot of people carry their UMC's with them already. After all it is the MOBILE connector. Again since extensions aren't allowed, people are carrying a fixed length cable in the car already. The HPWC is also fixed length. Every EVSE I've seen also has a short cable on it.

The UMC cable is much thinner than an HPWC cable. Presumably you'd want the thicker cable so you can charge faster. You'd also want a reel built into the car, so the cord will retract into the car. So it's going to take up a lot more space.

"Someone might stick something in an outlet" you might as well outlaw soup because you can drown in soup.

I didn't say outlaw it. It's rather easy to kill yourself with a 240V outlet, but very very difficult to kill yourself with soup. Oh, wait, am I supposed to be taking any of your points seriously?

You would only need a separate port for supercharger. No big deal.

It's more space, so that might be a pretty big deal.

Between the UMC and a HPWC, you've already spend $1100 on charging related apparatus for the car, and all you wanted to do was plug in. Just 2 years ago, that number was what, $1850? While not too much compared to a $140k car, it's a lot for a $35k car. Not to mention these devices are already cheaper than anyone else's EVSE's, probably close to cost.

The UMC (which, again, is an EVSE) comes with the car. You don't have to buy the HPWC. Just use the UMC to plug in to standard outlets, if that's what you want. And you're not likely buying any public EVSEs.

EVSEs are pretty simple devices with some nice safety features. Not sure what the problem is with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: jvonbokel and GSP
For those that are installing the new Wall Connector, you might need to add a new tool to your arsenal. The device is put together with Secure (tamper proof) Torx T20 screws, not just regular T20 screws. The Secure T20 has a stud in the center that keeps the average T20 driver from working.
I picked up a set of secure torx bits at Sears once, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

More pics. Excuse the English caliper, no probes will be sent to Mars with it.

The top-entry bracket would be extremely difficult to fit 1 AWG, however in the main bracket, we have a square hole 0.33" per side. This would mean you _may_ be able to squeeze a 2/0 stranded wire in there if you square it up first. 1 AWG shouldn't be any problem.

The wire from the top entry bracket is 4 AWG for some strange reason. Going to guess this will be one of the hottest parts of the unit, if used.

The cable gauge appears like it may have been increased, judging by the OD it looks like it may be 5 AWG? I don't have the old HPWC to compare to, but the cable certainly feels bigger/heavier/stiffer.

I don't see any fuses in the unit. They may be hiding underneath, but I doubt they'd have such a design regression. They were probably removed.

Attachments

• IMG_6321.JPG
    IMG_6321.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6322.JPG
    IMG_6322.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6323.JPG
    IMG_6323.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6325.JPG
    IMG_6325.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6326.JPG
    IMG_6326.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6330.JPG
    IMG_6330.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6332.JPG
    IMG_6332.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 101
Europe does not typically see 277VAC. Typical 3-phase L-L voltage in EU is 400VAC, so that L-N is 230 VAC nominal: 400V / sqrt(3) ~= 230 VAC

The J1772 standard specifies 208-240V.
IEC 62196-1 specifies voltage ranges up to 690VAC, realizing that equipment may differ - it requires all devices be marked with their rated voltages (preferred rated voltages include 230VAC, 400VAC, 500VAC).

Most EV's will not be designed for 277V, so care must be taken. However, it's unlikely that you're going to find that situation. If you do find it, it's likely because someone has modified a wall connector and/or someone has created an adapter from TSL02 to J1772. Since you so rarely find 277V in Europe, the common use of the Mennekes connector likely won't be a problem.
I received my new gen wall connector yesterday and it does charge my Leaf at 208V and 240V. From all I've read it appeared that it would only support Tesla's proprietary digital pilot method. Looks like that's what it tries to do. Then after a few seconds it switches to the J1772 PWM pilot signal and works on the Leaf. I'm a bit concerned about running it at 277V. I'm might just hold my breath and give it a try next week. Hopefully, it won't do any damage to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I received my new gen wall connector yesterday and it does charge my Leaf at 208V and 240V. From all I've read it appeared that it would only support Tesla's proprietary digital pilot method. Looks like that's what it tries to do. Then after a few seconds it switches to the J1772 PWM pilot signal and works on the Leaf. I'm a bit concerned about running it at 277V. I'm might just hold my breath and give it a try next week. Hopefully, it won't do any damage to the car.

So do you have an adapter to be able to plug in to your Leaf or did you replace the cable with a J1772 cable?