Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New wheels from Tesla: Aero and Cyclone!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Between the Aero wheels and the new low rolling resistance tires that are shipping with the P85s, range is improved by a total of 6%. That takes your 265 EPA miles to 280 EPA miles, or ideal range from 300 miles to 318 miles. Who couldn't use an extra 15 miles of range? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, all P85s currently shipping should already have the Michelin Primacy tires.

Can't wait to see some real pictures of the aeros -- I get the feeling the designer doesn't do them justice.. for example, are they painted black? They look like they are, but it's hard to tell...

My god they are nickling and diming the hell out of people. My car configured in december would now cost over $8,500 more.
- The base price is 3,670 more
- The pano roof is now $2500 vs $1500
- The sound package has gone from $950 to $2,500 - total rip-off if it's the same package
- They are charging $650 for obeche
- tech package is $250 cheaper
- air suspension is $750 more now (now $2,250) - I wouldn't get this
- fog lamps are $500 (was included for me)
- premium interior lighting is $1,000 (door lights were included for me though I'm not sure if I have puddle lights) - crazy upcharge

Yikes! They need to chill on the nickle and diming. It's probably more efficient to have fewer permutations of configurations. They just exploded the number of combinations. That's going to increase the number of mistakes I suspect.

there is one more for the list, the one I really don't like, bundling of the second 10kW charger with the HPWC. there are a variety of reason's why someone would buy the 10kW charger but not the HPWC. It's basically yet another $1,200 up-charge. I hope folks push for separating those back apart.

I do like that there are more wheel options. I'd like it even better if the cyclone wheels where more identical to the 21' pattern. the back up sensor will be a nice addition, hope it's something that can be added to the earlier production cars.

Last edited:
I don't think the price increases are out of line. Isn't this sort of what other higher-end luxury cars are like?

In fact, I feel good as it feels like earlier adopters like me got discounts. Now that Model S is becoming so popular due to all of the media coverage and whatnot, you have a lot more people interested in buying the car that didn't really know anything about Tesla six months ago. So I feel like those of us who reserved early got rewarded a little bit. Of course, as early adopters, we missed out on some enhancements, new options, and the ability to select more options individually, but I expected things like that. I feel that those of us who chose to get fully loaded or almost fully loaded cars early on have been treated well.

I like those new cyclone wheels, but at $2500 for an upgrade, I'm worried that they would cost me $3500 or more to straight-up buy. The T Sportline guys said they were thinking about having "custom" manufactured 19" turbine wheels and they'd be quite a bit cheaper at $1500, so I'm not sure I want these cyclone wheels, but I'll definitely think about it if they do offer them for sale to existing owners.

I kind of hope that I can upgrade to the new Subzero Weather Package, but at the same time, I'm dreading what the price will be if they do allow existing owners to upgrade. I think $750 is reasonable for the option, but I'm sure there's a lot of work to install in an existing car. I am also hoping they will have a cooled seating option in the future as well.

Anyone considering the Aero wheels for winter may want to reconsider. Looks like it would be a real bitch to clean snow and slush out of them.

What's winter? ;)

Just kidding, I used to live near Chicago for a while, spent a lot of time in Ohio, and also lived in Connecticut for a few years...I never want to go back! If it's worth anything I used to have a Civic hybrid that had "aero wheels" and never remember having issues with cleaning snow out of them...the design could be different though, too.

I stopped by the Oakbrook store today. Too bad it was closed (I forgot about Sundays and the state of Illinois).

I could see the Aero wheels and the Cyclone wheels on display. The silver of the cyclone looks like an exact color match. The Aeros look very cool indeed. Will have to take a closer look next weekend.