Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I broke your quote into two parts.

The nuance of MPH vs E/T is that they generally move in opposite directions. But yeah, a video of the runs would be very telling about what actually happened. The higher 60' could be that the driver was launching softer because he didn't want to spin. While it may have been slower getting to the 60' trap, he ultimately made better use of the track and ultimately a better MPH.

The other part is that these cars weakness has been in the last 1/8th mile. Most ICE cars that trap anywhere close to low 11's are trapping above 120 MPH. Whereas, our cars are hitting a power wall somewhere before the 1/8th mile after a positively heroic launch. Almost every racing video against a Model S shows the competition rapidly catching up after being blown away off the line. What I am thinking here is that the added power is manifesting later in the track and has little impact on the launch itself. What I would love to see is a full datalog off a dragstrip run, all the way to the 1/4 mile.

We're thinking mostly the same way with one difference.

I'd agree the weakness of these cars is what we refer to in ICE vehicles as "top end". These cars have no real top end to speak of for as quick as they are down the track.

However here is where we might differ.

Notice his state of charge for the two passes.

Also notice the very late reaction time of the one pass. He may have been using the launch control for that pass. If he was launching softer on the 1.701 60ft time, then it only got him .036 seconds improvement in the 1/4 over the first pass.

However assuming that he was launching just as hard for both passes, then the slightly higher SOC, got him a worse 60ft time than a SOC which was just 4% "worse".

Furthermore, while we don't know the track conditions, his 60ft times are nowhere close to some of the best ones we've seen in here which have been in the 1.57 -1.58 range.

It could turn out that with the additional power, assuming that there is an increase of the magnitude that some of us believe, i.e. 50-60hp or more, then it very well could be that it is now harder to get the increased power to the ground on the current street tires.

However I would be the first to admit that this is all speculation. But one other point of importance, or possible importance with the 11.128 car, is that someone asked about the dash display in the other thread.

The answer given by one member as to how that display was obtained, was that the car had to be rooted in order to obtain that display.

I've asked the owner, and am waiting for him to respond as to if this is the case, and if so, has anything else been done to the car.

It would still be interesting to actually see what kinds of results one of the "freak" cars showing the 500-510KW, actually gets via Vbox, or dragstrip in the quarter.

I mentioned before that this would go a long way towards telling us if we are actually seeing what we think we're seeing with the Powertools results.

But long story short, if we are looking at as much power increase as some of us say that we are seeing, then considering the way these cars launch, it might have just become a bit harder to get the power to the ground.

That said, it's making me wonder now what the 0-60 times for these "freaks" with 50-60 more horses are now.

Last edited:
Reactions: ggnykk
Interesting reading ... Tesla is secretly adding over 50 hp to the Model S P90D Ludicrous based on 3rd party testing, what does it mean?

upload_2016-6-22_16-28-27.png

i was thinking about signing up for the teslalog.com to see what my max kw were. we are both feb built cars with the same battery, yet yours is pulling 11.1 sec 1/4? your currently running 2.20.30, yes?

I am currently running 2.22.50. I believe that when I ran that 11.1 pass in May I was not pulling any additional power. Not like we are seeing now. As a side note, I did a quick 20-40 pull and saw my bar pull fairly well past the 400kW line. I'm looking to datalog tonight if I can.

Reactions: ggnykk

I'd agree the weakness of these cars is what we refer to in ICE vehicles as "top end". These cars have no real top end to speak of for as quick as they are down the track.

However here is where we might differ.

Also notice the very late reaction time of the one pass. He may have been using the launch control for that pass. If he was launching softer on the 1.701 60ft time, then it only got him .036 seconds improvement in the 1/4 over the first pass.

However assuming that he was launching just as hard for both passes, then the slightly higher SOC, got him a worse 60ft time than a SOC which was just 4% "worse".

Furthermore, while we don't know the track conditions, his 60ft times are nowhere close to some of the best ones we've seen in here which have been in the 1.57 -1.58 range.

It could turn out that with the additional power, assuming that there is an increase of the magnitude that some of us believe, i.e. 50-60hp or more, then it very well could be that it is now harder to get the increased power to the ground on the current street tires.

However I would be the first to admit that this is all speculation. But one other point of importance, or possible importance with the 11.128 car, is that someone asked about the dash display in the other thread.

The answer given by one member as to how that display was obtained, was that the car had to be rooted in order to obtain that display.

I've asked the owner, and am waiting for him to respond as to if this is the case, and if so, has anything else been done to the car.

It would still be interesting to actually see what kinds of results one of the "freak" cars showing the 500-510KW, actually gets via Vbox, or dragstrip in the quarter.

I mentioned before that this would go a long way towards telling us if we are actually seeing what we think we're seeing with the Powertools results.

But long story short, if we are looking at as much power increase as some of us say that we are seeing, then considering the way these cars launch, it might have just become a bit harder to get the power to the ground.

That said, it's making me wonder now what the 0-60 times for these "freaks" with 50-60 more horses are now.
i think there are already like three cars in various threads reporting 490 - 510 kw power from the latest P90DL. I believe only one of those car is "rooted". So it doesn't sound like the rooting caused the additional power.

I agree. There is a lot of talk on resistance dropping and optimal output. I'll say that when I ran my 11.1 I was below 90% SoC.

Really quick, I believe you and I are talking about the same thread. I got a response that you do have to root the car in order to expose those numbers. I'm not sure how I feel about that just yet.

I do think you have a very valid point regarding putting power down. IMO, this would require a specialized event where we can better control the track conditions. I'm talking a private track rental. It just so happens that I could possibly set something up at Maryland International Raceway later this year. MIR is extremely well known for their track preparation. If there was enough interest, say 10 or more cars, we could really put this to bed.

i think there are already like three cars in various threads reporting 490 - 510 kw power from the latest P90DL. I believe only one of those car is "rooted". So it doesn't sound like the rooting caused the additional power.

I think we have two with the "beast mode" type numbers so far.

The other gentleman, Old Man Mike, is only showing a modest gain of about 14KW.

Last edited:
I doubt it, the cars making more power are faster, higher traps, I would race a later production P90D L to demonstrate this, anyone in south florida with one?

I'm not in Florida but I do have the same Battery pack as ShotgunF15E, who logged 501kW a while back. I'm waiting on the update still. If it turns out I have the additional power, I'd be willing to meet you somewhere between VA and FL...

I am currently running 2.22.50. I believe that when I ran that 11.1 pass in May I was not pulling any additional power. Not like we are seeing now. As a side note, I did a quick 20-40 pull and saw my bar pull fairly well past the 400kW line. I'm looking to datalog tonight if I can.

speaking of the dials... those who are feeling or seeing more power, where does your dash dial for power end up? i honestly dont remember where mine was when i got the car new, but yesterday when i was playing with max power and battery heating the line ended halfway between 400 and the end of the graph. this was at about 67% soc. i tried to take a video of it with my phone but.... while im awesome with complex 3d software it seems i am *sugar* with my cell phone.

updated to 2.24.30, 100% SOC and Max battery ready, 11/15 built P90DL with 1063792 pack, no increase in power, max of 452 KW

now we have a problem.... Tesla under delivered on early cars, no 10.9 capability and later P90DL (v2) cars are all good with 80 HP more... easy 10's, most likey 10.8x....
You didn't say, but I assume you have 2.24.30 in both your S and your X.
If so, that definitively rules out the difference being in firmware.

speaking of the dials... those who are feeling or seeing more power, where does your dash dial for power end up? i honestly dont remember where mine was when i got the car new, but yesterday when i was playing with max power and battery heating the line ended halfway between 400 and the end of the graph. this was at about 67% soc. i tried to take a video of it with my phone but.... while im awesome with complex 3d software it seems i am *sugar* with my cell phone.

I'm guessing here:

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 3.08.08 PM.png

I could possibly set something up at Maryland International Raceway later this year. MIR is extremely well known for their track preparation. If there was enough interest, say 10 or more cars, we could really put this to bed.

Is there good charging near MIR? Plugshare doesn't show anything. Capital Raceway is near the new Laurel supercharger and a Chaedmo is even closer. MAson Dixon is near Hagerstown Supercharger.

I use slip mode but the slippage is very brief and keep in mind that traction control takes over at 40 mph. My tracks use well prepared surfaces so you get very little slip unless you go through the water.

Dragstrips are supposed to be flat but one is supposed to have a slight uphill at the end and I was .1 sec quicker and 2.5 mph faster at the other level track.

Is there good charging near MIR? Plugshare doesn't show anything. Capital Raceway is near the new Laurel supercharger and a Chaedmo is even closer. MAson Dixon is near Hagerstown Supercharger.

I'll concede that there aren't yet any options near MIR. I know it's a good track and I was thinking I could swing a deal for us through some contacts I know.

Between what's left I think Mason Dixon would be the better choice. I've never been to Capitol Raceway but what I have heard wasn't good.

I use slip mode but the slippage is very brief and keep in mind that traction control takes over at 40 mph. My tracks use well prepared surfaces so you get very little slip unless you go through the water.

Dragstrips are supposed to be flat but one is supposed to have a slight uphill at the end and I was .1 sec quicker and 2.5 mph faster at the other level track.

Quaker, which is in Ohio, and I've run on in other cars, I've heard a few talk that about the last 1/8 or so being slightly uphill.

It's been a couple of years since I was at MIR. Very nice facility and the prep is great for private rentals.

I've stayed at a nearby hotel, and I have no recollections of seeing any charging facilities between where I stayed, which was about 10 miles from the track, and MIR.

The whole charging near the drag strip logistics are a big part of why I've yet to make a quarter mile pass in this car.

One option, if there are campgrounds nearby or at the track facility, would be to charge at them.

Alternatively. Thompson Raceway Park in Ohio has several destination chargers at hotels nearby and I have strong connections with the track owners. It may be possible to get both lanes for an entire day with prep for a very reasonable rate.

Also, there are at least two NEMA 14-50 outlets on premises that could be used to top off if needed.

I'll concede that there aren't yet any options near MIR. I know it's a good track and I was thinking I could swing a deal for us through some contacts I know.

Between what's left I think Mason Dixon would be the better choice. I've never been to Capitol Raceway but what I have heard wasn't good.

I've run at Thompson, and I see that this is where you made your quarter mile pass in your Tesla.

From what I recall, Thompson wasn't bad. Certainly can't compare to MIR though.

I've never run at Capital either but like you I've not heard very many great things about it.

I'm nearest Keystone Raceway Park and a pair of 11.2 passes in a P90DL have actually been made on it.

As coincidence would have it, I actually met the owner of that car for the first time, earlier in the same day he made those passes and having no idea that he was a racing enthusiast and no idea that he would be heading to the track later that evening.

I've tried without success to contact him since to ask him where he charged, as there is nothing that I've been able to locate nearby.

Just a Chevy dealership and a Nissan dealership but still several miles away and charging facilities only available during business hours and no doubt for their customers.

I'm guessing that he either must live near that track, and/or the owners let him top off from a 110v.

Last edited:
I've run at Thompson, and I see that this is where you made your quarter mile pass in your Tesla.

From what I recall, Thompson wasn't bad. Certainly can't compare to MIR though.

I've never run at Capital either but like you I've not heard very many great things about it.

Thompson is a great racers track! I race with a group of people that rent out that track once a year. The downside is weather in Ohio can be tricky.

UPDATE!

I bit the bullet and used teslalog.com

I saw a best of 472kW (Graph attached)

SoC: 92%
Ludicrous: ON
Max Battery: OFF
A/C: ON (Doh)
Battery: 1071394-00-A
Firmware: 2.22.50

Looks like I have the magic pack as well :D

Attachments

• L_92_NoMax_AC.jpg