Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were to add more, they'd have to add at least 96. (96 increments) That would add about 1.2kWh for each 96 to a pack if they were using the same cells as in the 90. Hmm....

Do you know which voltage is reported in can id 0x102?

Yeah, that's how people have inferred the number of cells in the new pack. But It could be some combination of increased capacity per cell plus a lesser increase in the number of cells.

Last edited:
Wow, what Tesla had to go through from an iteration standpoint to finally reach what they promoted at the D announce. Double bond wires, improved chemistry, lower I2R losses in cabling,,,,,,.

They REALLY missed the mark when they announced. An over the air software update was never going to get the job done even if the fuse and contactor spring had been up to the task. I wonder how many power train engineers within the company were sitting around at the announce saying "this is some serious BS!"?

Wow, what Tesla had to go through from an iteration standpoint to finally reach what they promoted at the D announce. Double bond wires, improved chemistry, lower I2R losses in cabling,,,,,,.

They REALLY missed the mark when they announced. An over the air software update was never going to get the job done even if the fuse and contactor spring had been up to the task. I wonder how many power train engineers within the company were sitting around at the announce saying "this is some serious BS!"?
Powertrain guy's were probably ok. They obviously had the improvements in the car that went to the media. It's just that marketing pushed the car out before manufacturing could incorporate all the necessary improvements.

FYI, The new 100 packs have an amp limit of 1750A. Tesla has doubled up the bond wires that attach the cells to the bus plates on them as well. (so less sag)

How do you know aout doubling up the bond wires that attach each (?) cell to the bus plates. Is this an educated guess, or a result of looking at an opened-up pack?

I am not sure what do you call bond wires, but isn't Tesla used the wires connecting each cell as a fuse? If cross-section of these was increased, they will no longer protect the cells, so Tesla would have to come up with the alternative method of protection.

I wasn't aware Tesla even sold a stand alone battery with or without warranty. I'm sure there are other components needed as well.
They do sell spare parts. And if you're really bold and live on the edge, you can wait a couple of weeks for people to start driving their cars into things and batteries and needed cables and connectors will start to appear on the open market. No warranty on that battery of course. But come on. Do you want to live forever?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Last night I drove my P85DL for the 12th time to the drags. Irwindale Speedway is the closest to me at 63 miles away and they have 1/8 mile drags every Thursday night. To obtain the highest charge requires me to drive from Thousand Oaks, CA to the Burbank Supercharger 40 miles away (close to an hour) and charge to 99% (about an hour) then drive another 25 miles (about an hour depending on traffic) to a free Charge Point at Edison in Irwindale and charge to 100% (1 and 1/2 hours) and then 5 miles to the track. After check in I am ready to race with 97%. I have a Snell approved helmet but not an approved fireproof jacket. At first they said I needed one if I am faster than 7.25 sec and so I was going to rent one after beating that time. But when I returned someone had questioned that requirement as the NHRA manual stated that for factory stock cars doing more than 9.99 in the 1/4 were exempt so they let me race without the jacket until it was clarified.

This discussion may belong in the P85DL Upgrade thread but all this discussion about torque and slippage pertains to my experience at the drags. Slippage is very important in the times obtained and my car does not seem consistent. I blame this mostly on if I can avoid the water puddle they continue to sprinkle for the burnouts. Anyway my best time was 4 weeks ago 7.070 @ 95.37 1.562 60' 97% and using slip start. That run was smooth with no hesitation. But last night my first run 7.628 @ 95.24 1.956 60' 97% with lots of slipping. My second run using launch control was 7.180 @ 95.34 1.656 60' 95%. My best run was the 5th one using slip start 7.109 @ 95.39 1.576 60' 89%. Even my 6th run was respectable 7.124 @ 94.78 1.584 60' 87%. Then I rested and let the car update itself to the latest version that I received at the Burbank SC hoping for a miracle. Instead I got terrible hopping 7.310 @ 94.52 1.708 60' 83%. I was going to try launch mode again on the next run but when a Corvette lined up next to me I could not take a chance on a bad reaction time so just stomped on the pedal and beat him easily.

I still believe slip start is the best method but sometimes the car seems to hesitate and hiccup. I know Traction Control takes over at 40 mph in slip mode but it seems to me it takes over almost right away. I know it does not like any water on the track or tires. In two weeks I will drive to Fontana (75 miles) for 1/4 times again. At least the Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger is only 5 miles away.

Well I'm not the one saying they will sell a stand alone battery and warranty it but for fun I just called and they won't like I thought. BTW, there's a thread on here about the CBA of just upgrading an original P90DL to a 100 and the conclusion was it made more sense to just buy a new one like I think @fiksegts did.
Well I'm not the one saying they will sell a stand alone battery and warranty it but for fun I just called and they won't like I thought. BTW, there's a thread on here about the CBA of just upgrading an original P90DL to a 100 and the conclusion was it made more sense to just buy a new one like I think @fiksegts did.
You might have to press it. I'm not sure they can deny you the right to have your vehicle repaired by a third party. Not making parts available would prevent that.

There's pretty strong consumer protection legislation concerning warranties and right to repair.

Last edited:
I still believe slip start is the best method but sometimes the car seems to hesitate and hiccup. I know Traction Control takes over at 40 mph in slip mode but it seems to me it takes over almost right away. I know it does not like any water on the track or tires. In two weeks I will drive to Fontana (75 miles) for 1/4 times again. At least the Rancho Cucamonga Supercharger is only 5 miles away.

are you talking about the Auto Club Dragway in Fontana? Seems the event there is this Saturday and Sunday,

• Informative
Reactions: ShotgunF15E
Last night I drove my P85DL for the 12th time to the drags. Irwindale Speedway is the closest to me at 63 miles away and they have 1/8 mile drags every Thursday night. To obtain the highest charge requires me to drive from Thousand Oaks, CA to the Burbank Supercharger 40 miles away (close to an hour) and charge to 99% (about an hour) then drive another 25 miles (about an hour depending on traffic) to a free Charge Point at Edison in Irwindale and charge to 100% (1 and 1/2 hours) and then 5 miles to the track. After check in I am ready to race with 97%. I have a Snell approved helmet but not an approved fireproof jacket. At first they said I needed one if I am faster than 7.25 sec and so I was going to rent one after beating that time. But when I returned someone had questioned that requirement as the NHRA manual stated that for factory stock cars doing more than 9.99 in the 1/4 were exempt so they let me race without the jacket until it was clarified.

This discussion may belong in the P85DL Upgrade thread but all this discussion about torque and slippage pertains to my experience at the drags. Slippage is very important in the times obtained and my car does not seem consistent. I blame this mostly on if I can avoid the water puddle they continue to sprinkle for the burnouts. Anyway my best time was 4 weeks ago 7.070 @ 95.37 1.562 60' 97% and using slip start. That run was smooth with no hesitation. But last night my first run 7.628 @ 95.24 1.956 60' 97% with lots of slipping. My second run using launch control was 7.180 @ 95.34 1.656 60' 95%. My best run was the 5th one using slip start 7.109 @ 95.39 1.576 60' 89%. Even my 6th run was respectable 7.124 @ 94.78 1.584 60' 87%. Then I rested and let the car update itself to the latest version that I received at the Burbank SC hoping for a miracle. Instead I got terrible hopping 7.310 @ 94.52 1.708 60' 83%. I was going to try launch mode again on the next run but when a Corvette lined up next to me I could not take a chance on a bad reaction time so just stomped on the pedal and beat him easily.

I may have to meet you at Fontana. I really want to get a couple of slips on the 1/4 for my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.