Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry but that is factually incorrect if considered from the outset of Tesla's 691hp claim.

Tesla originally claimed 691hp without qualification, they later updated their website to state motor power, and then proceded to further modify and "clarify" their original inaccurate statements until eventually arriving at today's position. Even now only the P models have the "1 foot rollout" acceleration figure where the rest do not therefore exagerating the acceleration difference to the less informed and even to the well informed preventing true Tesla stated performance comparison of 0-60 accelration between across the model range.

imo this entire chapter remains one of the most disingenuous aspects of Tesla marketing and damaged many peoples opinion of Tesla, fortunately things do seem to be improving.

The P85D motor rating was retroactively increased when they introduced the P90D as the drive units didn't and are the same in the P85D and P90D:

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 1.46.56 PM.png

You guys take this *sugar* way too seriously.

well I know there's a rather long thread on the subject, but from Tesla's perspective the inaccuracy of the information cost Tesla a P85D sale and $20K as I went for the 85D as I didn't believe the original figures as has subsequently been proved correct. I'm now quite happy with it and won't change until AP2.0 is released even though I want a P100D like crazy.

But hey it's all been covered before.

It is great that Tesla now are really producing these sort of figures and even breaking into the 10s with the latest incarnation.
Tesla produce such great and innovative product it's just a shame they sometimes can't keep the marketing BS under control.

I have said many times under promise and over deliver: promise 11.2 and let the press report that's damn quick for an electric sedan and then wait for Joe Public to pull out a 10 second time and the press just go wild all over - free publicity and a ton of respect. The other way around and all you get is the drag strip community endlessly bitching over minutiae... and with that ... back to the thread ;)

Reactions: yak-55 and NSX1992
sorry but that is factually incorrect if considered from the outset of Tesla's 691hp claim.

Tesla originally claimed 691hp without qualification, they later updated their website to state motor power, and then proceded to further modify and "clarify" their original inaccurate statements until eventually arriving at today's position. Even now only the P models have the "1 foot rollout" acceleration figure where the rest do not therefore exagerating the acceleration difference to the less informed and even to the well informed preventing true Tesla stated performance comparison of 0-60 accelration between across the model range.

imo this entire chapter remains one of the most disingenuous aspects of Tesla marketing and damaged many peoples opinion of Tesla, fortunately things do seem to be improving.

Doubtful that enough people's opinions which were "damaged" were enough to really even matter, as many of those with "damaged opinions" such as NSX 1992's, had already bought, and/or/ were first in line, checkbooks in hand to pay for the Ludicrous retrofit.

well I know there's a rather long thread on the subject, but from Tesla's perspective the inaccuracy of the information cost Tesla a P85D sale and $20K as I went for the 85D as I didn't believe the original figures as has subsequently been proved correct. I'm now quite happy with it and won't change until AP2.0 is released even though I want a P100D like crazy.

But hey it's all been covered before.

It is great that Tesla now are really producing these sort of figures and even breaking into the 10s with the latest incarnation.
Tesla produce such great and innovative product it's just a shame they sometimes can't keep the marketing BS under control.

I have said many times under promise and over deliver: promise 11.2 and let the press report that's damn quick for an electric sedan and then wait for Joe Public to pull out a 10 second time and the press just go wild all over - free publicity and a ton of respect. The other way around and all you get is the drag strip community endlessly bitching over minutiae... and with that ... back to the thread ;)

If 4 people bought the Ludicrous retrofit, that would offset your having not bought a P85D.

I can easily think of 4 of the loudest complainers in that horsepower thread who through the purchase of Ludicrous alone, to say nothing of any other Tesla items for sale, who would offset the "loss" of your 20 grand, through their own purchase of the Ludicrous retrofit.

I wonder how many of these bellyaching "horsepower" complainers put down their grand for the Model 3 reservation. :D

You sure you want to allude to how much money the "horsepower discussion" cost Tesla? :D

I wonder if any of these whiners bought a wheel and tire package, a winter tire package, a console, or something else in the midst of all of their bellyaching about "horsepower".:D

Hold up a minute. .......Isn't that????.....yeah, I thought that was you over there Sorka. I see you over there ducking. :D

Don't you have TWO Tesla wheel and tire setups, 19s and 21s? And didn't you also buy the Ludicrous retrofit.?

Weren't you one of the most vocal members in that horsepower thread, and are still vocal on the subject? :D

And no doubt for every person who settled for an 85D who opted out of the P85D, missed out on not only the performance benefit that the car as it existed offered over the 85D, but also in the added option/availability of Ludicrous.

Somehow, I doubt that Tesla is mourning the loss of your 20 grand, as they probably sold the car that you would have bought to someone else. I've seen no evidence that they did not sell every single P85D that they built, including the inventory cars..;)

Indeed, until someone can show me where that whole horsepower brouhaha, and the lesser "they didn't measure 0-60 without rollout" ruckus cost them a single sale overall, I'll stand in my belief that it didn't.

The bottom line though is, despite the horsepower matter..................drumroll please........

You STILL bought a Tesla.......... and they STILL got your money. .......despite all of that noise. about "misrepresented horsepower"......(there's more.....scroll down.......)

further

still further...

Keep going

And you're talking about buying another one. Despite all of that horsepower crap, and "they didn't measure 0-60 without rollout" crap that clogged up this forum for months. And it didn't add up to a hill of beans. And thank all that is holy that it didn't, hasn't, and more than likely won't. :D;)

Last edited:
I'm especially impressed with Tesla's ability to take absolutely zero responsibility for advertising 691 hp at the launch. I must admit that I thought it was a joke but, hey, they have proved me wrong and gone and delivered that and more (P100DL 760ish).

They advertised it.
People bought the product.
They did not deliver it.
JB even produced some BS blog post about it.
Then..... They delivered it.

Now if you feel Tesla should work with you in any size shape or form when you try to get to the hp originally advertised, well you can just go pound salt.

Reactions: yak-55 and NSX1992
I'm especially impressed with Tesla's ability to take absolutely zero responsibility for advertising 691 hp at the launch. I must admit that I thought it was a joke but, hey, they have proved me wrong and gone and delivered that and more (P100DL 760ish).

They advertised it.
They did not deliver it.

Now if you feel Tesla should work with you in any size shape or form when you try to get to the hp originally advertised, well you can just go pound salt.
Or sue them :).

They advertised it.
They did not deliver it.

"Sand".

And good on Tesla, for essentially telling people who believe the above, just that.

Tesla would appear to have bigger problems right now, legal and otherwise, than a few forum members in here, still moaning and bellyaching about "horsepower" that they say that they were "promised", but didn't get.

I'd rather they deal with the more pressing problems at hand than this crap.

Lest there won't be a Tesla to complain about.

• Disagree
Reactions: NSX1992
@P85DEE - you really need to learn to spot a wind up ... lol :D

We all know this thread won't die until your opinion is the only one left standing

And you should recognize the pitch.

It blew right past you and you were left looking.

Good thing too. Because you know what was coming next?

Here you go.

If that p!$ ant, horsepower discussion was of any significance, did "set Tesla back", "tainted their image to any measurable or significant degree, well then it looks to me that they've still raised nearly a half billion dollars in Model 3 reservation money.

Much of that money was raised right in the very wake of that horsepower discussion.b while some of them were still waiting on their free Ludicrous upgrade.

And it's still being raised as others in here continue to whine about it.

I don't think they're lamenting the loss of someone's 20 grand up charge money, because that person "believes" that the P85D horsepower was misrepresented, when they can raise 487 some odd million in the manner in which they have.

So it says here, and yeah, you read it here first, that horsepower discussion and that "they didn't measure 0-60 without rollout" discussion was a joke, and any notion that Tesla even broke stride in behind it, is a joke.

So yeah, they're likely telling folk who are still clinging to the horsepower matter to go pound sand. But I actually think they're telling them something even a bit stronger than that. But since this is a family oriented forum, I won't go there.

I know that many in here like to think that their input in that discussion mattered, but no, the world doesnt revolve around the membership of this forum, and thank God, that Tesla's fortunes don't ride on it either.

Apparently not even a little bit.

"That horsepower matter with the P85D, and the discussion in here about it, has hurt/is going to hurt Tesla".

LOL. Yeah, ok. It hurt them so badly that not a soul would part with a grand just to reserve a spot in line for their next vehicle.

Last edited:
That or you all wise up and ignore user...

then you get this button at the bottom of the page to click at your own risk, Much more peaceful this way:cool:

View attachment 195272

Oh my gosh yes!

Plus the bonus of puzzling but entertaining posts where the poster appears to be greatly frustrated while seemingly arguing with thin air. :)

I very much appreciate the posters here who are contributing considerable time and energy to productive debate and discussion!

Thanks,
Alan

Reactions: NSX1992 and msnow
Oh my gosh yes!

Plus the bonus of puzzling but entertaining posts where the poster "appears" to be greatly frustrated while seemingly arguing with thin air. :)...
Alan

Now how on earth would one perceive such, unless that same one were looking at the poster's posts?;)

That which you are supposedly "ignoring", that which you have supposedly turned a deaf ear and a blind eye to, ........... can't "appear" to you .

One can't perceive that another is, ........what was it you called it???..... oh yeah, "arguing with thin air" , unless another can see either the argument or the response or both.

How does one "see", or perceive the argument or response of another whom they claim that they are ignoring??? ;)

You can't.

And on top of that, there are several people who aren't even logged in, indeed who aren't even members, who see both the argument and the response.

It is those who are being reached. Irrespective as to whether or not yours or anyone of your buddy's ears and eyes are closed. I'm not concerned about whether or not twiddlede and twiddledum have decided to cover their ears with their hands and shut their eyes tightly. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people to reach aside from a couple of disgruntled folks in here.

That's right. Like I said earlier, if some of you guys didn't have P85DEE, you'd have to invent him.

Last edited:
Yeah saw that. They obviously got the idea from @P85DEE. Thanks P85DEE for hurting Tesla.

Nice try.

The very first litigation wheels got rolling in Norway around the time of that horsepower thread and when it was in full swing. That would have been October of 2015.

The original "asterisk" thread got started in March of 2015, which would have been some 7 months before the initial legal matters in Norway and was in full swing well up until that time

Long before I even got here.

Anyone is free to a look at the date of the first post. 10/21/2015. No doubt the decision to take legal action was made prior to 10/21/15 and likely prior to 10/10/15.

Tesla may be forced to compensate owners of P85D in Norway

My join date is October 10, 2015.

Like I said earlier, the entire horsepower topic was in full blaze, long before I even joined this forum, let alone before I even made my first post, and that initial horsepower "asterisk" thread clearly preceded that.

Last edited:
I trailered my P85DL last month to Bakersfield 150 miles in an attempt to get the highest charge which cost me $400 to repaint the rear bumper as the Tesla rubbed against a tie down buckle for the gas cans sitting on my wheel wells. The problem was I charged to 100% overnight, by morning it was 98%, by end of trip 95% and down to 94% waiting in line and warming battery. First run was 11.224 @ 119.00 and second best was my third run of 11.275 @ 119.64 at 89%.

I may head up to Bakersfield on Saturday to give that strip a run at a 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.