Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god please no lol

I'm afraid it's too late.

Trying to ward off P85DEE, is like trying to shovel smoke with a pitchfork against a strong wind.

Like I said earlier. This forum needs me, P85DEE, like the NFL needed Jerry Jones, and Al Davis and Pete Rozelle before him. Like the NBA needs Mark Cuban, and Major League Baseball needed Bowie Kuhn, George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin. Like boxing needed Muhammed Ali and Don King, and Wrestling needed Vince McMahon and The Rock. Can you smell what P85DEE is cooking? :D.

And I won't let this membership down. Won't turn my back on this membership. No matter what. :D

Summoning @P85DEE LOL!

This would generate an instant lawsuit if they did anything to my car to decrease performance AFTER I bought it and took delivery.

Whoa.........Damn St Charles.......I don't want to jump to conclusions, and it could be the acoustics in this room, I readily admit.......but it sounded like I heard a good bit of bass in his voice when he said that.:D

On a serious note though, I doubt they cut the power or performance in anyone's car.

Last edited:
I have the v3 1088... battery, since installing 8.0 I've tested twice now with my car using the PowerTools for tesla app at 100% charge and max battery ready fresh off the charger the car will only hit 479-480 KW max on the app currently. Previously my car would pull 511 peak and around 505 average down to 90%!

Again I'm testing over the air with powertools app not directly via canbus so I guess it's possible changes have been made that effect powertools data as I find it hard to connect the app now, beyond that I'd need to test with canbus to confirm... hopefully I'm wrong, I would like to see others results with power tools app who have 8.0.

I'm going to test with a friends v3 1088 battery car tomorrow using PowerTools...

Last edited:
since installing 8.0 I've tested twice now with my car using the PowerTools for tesla app at 100% charge and max battery ready fresh off the charger the car will only hit 479-480 KW max on the app currently. Previously my car would pull 511 peak and around 505 average down to 90%!

Again I'm testing over the air with powertools app not directly via canbus so I guess it's possible changes have been made that effect powertools data as I find it hard to connect the app now, beyond that I'd need to test with canbus to confirm... hopefully I'm wrong, I would like to see others results with power tools app who have 8.0

Are you guys trying to insinuate that Tesla in the 8.0 might decrease power output of P90Dl to make their P100D shine more ?!

TThat would be catastrophic and i will lose trust in them immediately!!!

That would be insane and ludicrous and no pun intended

• Funny
Reactions: sorka
since installing 8.0 I've tested twice now with my car using the PowerTools for tesla app at 100% charge and max battery ready fresh off the charger the car will only hit 479-480 KW max on the app currently. Previously my car would pull 511 peak and around 505 average down to 90%!

Again I'm testing over the air with powertools app not directly via canbus so I guess it's possible changes have been made that effect powertools data as I find it hard to connect the app now, beyond that I'd need to test with canbus to confirm... hopefully I'm wrong, I would like to see others results with power tools app who have 8.0

How terribly inauspicious.

However after reading that, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for "others" who read it, and with 511 KW P90Ds to line up to try the same thing that you just did.

On a serious note though, I doubt they cut the power or performance in anyone's car.

Oh well, I've been wrong before. I got the Powerball numbers wrong too.:D

Hindsight is always 20/20, but, maybe you should have let someone else be among the first to install 8.0. :D

Damn, from 511KW down to 480KW. Sounding almost like you downloaded a virus.

Easy come, easy go.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: soooma
I have the v3 1088... battery, since installing 8.0 I've tested twice now with my car using the PowerTools for tesla app at 100% charge and max battery ready fresh off the charger the car will only hit 479-480 KW max on the app currently. Previously my car would pull 511 peak and around 505 average down to 90%!

Again I'm testing over the air with powertools app not directly via canbus so I guess it's possible changes have been made that effect powertools data as I find it hard to connect the app now, beyond that I'd need to test with canbus to confirm... hopefully I'm wrong, I would like to see others results with power tools app who have 8.0.

I'm going to test with a friends v3 1088 battery car tomorrow using PowerTools...

I just downloaded 8.0, charged up to 98% and went out and ran both Powertools and Vbox Sport. No change from 7.1 for me. Ran multiple 0-60s in 2.8 and put out near 500kw and noticed no difference in performance. I'm very confident I could go back to the track I was at on Saturday and run the same 11.1 I just did under 7.1.

1/f^2 is only for the breakdown torque. Rated torque decrease as 1/f and the motor exhibits constant horsepower with increased rpm once max voltage is reached. That is what is happening on the flat portion of the power curve. Before max voltage the motor operates at constant torque. The decreasing power of the p100d curve is not an extension the p90d power curve which is what would be expected if it was rpm limited.

I said 690 hp was peak(the value on the flat part of the power curve) and not at 155 mph. But if two power curves have the same shape, specifying the peak hp's defines the relative powers at all points on the curves.
If a motor generates 690 hp for one second and another motor generates 760 hp for 0.1 seconds and 682 hp for 0.9 seconds they both average 690 hp over the second.

The motors of both versions never reach 690hp, get that out of your head! Your calculation just don't work. And talking about breakdown torque again, why do you think the motor power decreases at the end? Because the induced Voltage goes with f^2. That limits breakdown torque if voltage is limited and at some point breakdown torque is lower than what the motor could theoretically handle.

good to hear there is no loss in power, but would have liked an increase... :)

just got 8.0 in my P90DL V1, same power, 448....

I just downloaded 8.0, charged up to 98% and went out and ran both Powertools and Vbox Sport. No change from 7.1 for me. Ran multiple 0-60s in 2.8 and put out near 500kw and noticed no difference in performance. I'm very confident I could go back to the track I was at on Saturday and run the same 11.1 I just did under 7.1.

Here is my data.

Vehicle: 2016 Model S P90D
Build: 1/16
Battery: 1071394-00-A
Firmware: V8
Max KWH: 487
AWHP: 653HP
SOC During Test: 88%

Mine is a early 2016 build, so based on what some of your are saying it has more power than expected.

No,
Your question should be
Is your P90D V1 or V2
And if V2 how did this 1071394 Pack made it to your car that early on!!

I think most of the measurements and calculation here are foundless and assumptions at best!

I am bummed

No,
Your question should be
Is your P90D V1 or V2
And if V2 how did this 1071394 Pack made it to your car that early on!!

I think most of the measurements and calculation here are foundless and assumptions at best!

I am bummed
His is a v2 and they started putting them in earlier in the year. Also, calm down. These numbers are based on data why do you say they are "foundless"?

• Funny
Reactions: soooma
His is a v2 and they started putting them in earlier in the year. Also, calm down. These numbers are based on data why do you say they are "foundless"?

I didn't wanna come across as abrasive!
But nobody has put forth why would my August 2015 has a "V2" when this was supposed to be one of the very early P90D?! And it was confirmed Car was Speed Lomited to 80 and no swap took place in warranty!!

Well thats comforting to hear... tested again this morning same result. I again had a hard time getting the app to connect and it was very laggy I suspect its related to the phone software or network now thanks to what you posted vs it being 8.0 car software issue!! I've never had a problem before with the phone app but i was on the iOS 9 software version vs iOS 10. Have you updated to iOS 10?

A canbus tester would solve all of those issues guess ill have to dig on that end as well though last I checked they didnt have an iOS app in the store just a beta tester version for those with invites / access from the developer.

Well thats comforting to hear... tested again this morning same result. I again had a hard time getting the app to connect and it was very laggy I suspect its related to the phone software or network now thanks to what you posted vs it being 8.0 car software issue!! I've never had a problem before with the phone app but i was on the iOS 9 software version vs iOS 10. Have you updated to iOS 10?

A canbus tester would solve all of those issues guess ill have to dig on that end as well though last I checked they didnt have an iOS app in the store just a beta tester version for those with invites / access from the developer.
Tesla servers have been slow all morning.

I didn't wanna come across as abrasive!
But nobody has put forth why would my August 2015 has a "V2" when this was supposed to be one of the very early P90D?! And it was confirmed Car was Speed Lomited to 80 and no swap took place in warranty!!

I think you are getting caught up on "V1, V2, V3". You have a 1071394-00-A pack which is what really matters. You are the earliest known P90DL that has this pack installed. Since Tesla doesn't publish much about their packs, consider yourself lucky. I know there is at least one poor soul out there with a refresh Tesla built in May 2016 that has a 106xxx battery.

The motors of both versions never reach 690hp, get that out of your head! Your calculation just don't work. And talking about breakdown torque again, why do you think the motor power decreases at the end? Because the induced Voltage goes with f^2. That limits breakdown torque if voltage is limited and at some point breakdown torque is lower than what the motor could theoretically handle.

p100d:
4945 lbs + 185lb driver = 5130lbs
p90d:
4830 lbs + 185lb driver = 5015 lbs.

The p100d has done a 10.78 sec 1/4 mile, and the time is affected by the ratio of the weights to the 1/3 power.
10.78 * (5015 / 5130)^1/3 = 10.699 seconds.
So if the p90d had the same power as the p100d it could do a quarter mile in 10.699 seconds because it weighs less.

The p90d produces 500Kw, or 670 battery horsepower.

The p90d has done the 1/4 mile in 10.804 seconds, and the time is affected by the ratio of the horsepower to the 1/3 power.
10.699 secs * (p100d power / 670hp) ^ 1/3 = 10.804 secs. Rearranging to solve for the p100d power:
670hp * (10.804 sec / 10.699 sec) ^ 3 = 689.9hp.
So the increased performance of the p100d is behaving as though the battery horsepower has increased from 670hp for the p90d to 690hp for the p100d. You'll notice that 690 hp is what they originally claimed for these motors.

Again, it doesn't matter that I'm using battery horsepower because I'm taking their ratio, and the conversion factor will cancel out.

p100d:
4945 lbs + 185lb driver = 5130lbs
p90d:
4830 lbs + 185lb driver = 5015 lbs.

The p100d has done a 10.78 sec 1/4 mile, and the time is affected by the ratio of the weights to the 1/3 power.
10.78 * (5015 / 5130)^1/3 = 10.699 seconds.
So if the p90d had the same power as the p100d it could do a quarter mile in 10.699 seconds because it weighs less.

The p90d produces 500Kw, or 670 battery horsepower.

The p90d has done the 1/4 mile in 10.804 seconds, and the time is affected by the ratio of the horsepower to the 1/3 power.
10.699 secs * (p100d power / 670hp) ^ 1/3 = 10.804 secs. Rearranging to solve for the p100d power:
670hp * (10.804 sec / 10.699 sec) ^ 3 = 689.9hp.
So the increased performance of the p100d is behaving as though the battery horsepower has increased from 670hp for the p90d to 690hp for the p100d. You'll notice that 690 hp is what they originally claimed for these motors.

Again, it doesn't matter that I'm using battery horsepower because I'm taking their ratio, and the conversion factor will cancel out.

I think your calculations are not taking into account the increased weight of the P100D.

As we get a few more samples from the field I expect we'll see a drop in ET's. In either case, the increased weight of the P100D will have a negative effect on the timeslip. What I am seeing from your calculations is that the P100D is acting as if it was a P90D with a modest increase of HP. I'd be interested to see your math on Power/weight ratio and it's correlation to dragstrip ET. With enough samples, you should be able to plot a graph and possibly predict what a P100D is roughly capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.