Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your calculations are not taking into account the increased weight of the P100D.

As we get a few more samples from the field I expect we'll see a drop in ET's. In either case, the increased weight of the P100D will have a negative effect on the timeslip. What I am seeing from your calculations is that the P100D is acting as if it was a P90D with a modest increase of HP. I'd be interested to see your math on Power/weight ratio and it's correlation to dragstrip ET. With enough samples, you should be able to plot a graph and possibly predict what a P100D is roughly capable of.
I included the effect of weight. That's my first calculation. You know ,where I used weights.

Last edited:
The 10.804 P90DL was under ideal conditions. The 10.79 of the P100D had lousy 60 foot times due to water on the track so, in a P85DEE like statement, I'm going to say the P100D still has another 1/0th or even a little more in the ET.

I'm not sure a decrease from 511 to 490 kw would be enough to effect 0-60 times in a statistically meaningful way over just a few passes since it's essentially traction limited at either power level up to about 50 MPH.

The 10.804 P90DL was under ideal conditions. The 10.79 of the P100D had lousy 60 foot times due to water on the track so, in a P85DEE like statement, I'm going to say the P100D still has another 1/0th or even a little more in the ET.

I'm not sure a decrease from 511 to 490 kw would be enough to effect 0-60 times in a statistically meaningful way over just a few passes since it's essentially traction limited at either power level up to about 50 MPH.
We've also got fiks' times for the p100d.
I looked at the can bus power after the 8.0 upgrade and didn't see any difference in power. In fact, I got one of the highest current spikes I've seen.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I included the effect of weight. That's my first calculation. You know ,where I used weights.

Let me refine my comment that I don't think you are using weight PROPERLY, then.

Also, the way you present your calculations make it extremely hard to follow. It also looks like you add in a bunch of additional ET datapoints which seem unnecessary. Given that the ET is a variable it seems foolish to try to run calculations with it and expect a precise output.

Power/Weight Ratio is the single biggest factor in Drag. The next largest is traction, then there are a bunch of factors that are essentially not measureable. Given that the only major difference between all Model S XxxD cars is power and weight we can generally ignore the remaining variables. We can get a reasonable idea on traction based on 60' times which would allow us to estimate a margin of error.

Would it not be a LOT easier to simply plot Power/Weight ratio on the X axis, ET on the Y axis and add in all the datapoints we have and form a trend line?

Reactions: bhzmark
Let me refine my comment that I don't think you are using weight PROPERLY, then.

Also, the way you present your calculations make it extremely hard to follow. It also looks like you add in a bunch of additional ET datapoints which seem unnecessary. Given that the ET is a variable it seems foolish to try to run calculations with it and expect a precise output.

Power/Weight Ratio is the single biggest factor in Drag. The next largest is traction, then there are a bunch of factors that are essentially not measureable. Given that the only major difference between all Model S XxxD cars is power and weight we can generally ignore the remaining variables. We can get a reasonable idea on traction based on 60' times which would allow us to estimate a margin of error.

Would it not be a LOT easier to simply plot Power/Weight ratio on the X axis, ET on the Y axis and add in all the datapoints we have and form a trend line?

Oh, but I think you're wrong when you say I'm not factoring in weight properly.
What's confusing about accounting for weight first at the same power, and then for power at the same weight?

Somebody else has already done as you suggest, and come up with a correlation for weight. Why re-invent the wheel?

But I have it on good authority that there is little difference between static and dynamic friction with modern tires. Certainly not enough to make a 0.1 second difference.

Actually assuming that static and dynamic friction are *identical* if there is slip, then the tires are still turning faster than the road and less distance is traveled for the same revolutions. The difference in energy is eaten up on friction.

Oh, but I think you're wrong when you say I'm not factoring in weight properly.
What's confusing about accounting for weight first at the same power, and then for power at the same weight?

Because it is completely unnecessary to solve the problem and adds a bunch of math for no reason.

Somebody else has already done as you suggest, and come up with a correlation for weight. Why re-invent the wheel?

I've seen discussion on weight changes at a given power level but nothing that talks about power/weight ratio on this board. If you have something then please link me to it. Given that the Model S/X power curves are very different than ICE cars, it seems unreasonable to take examples from other places which is why I am wondering if it was done here.

Yep - note this was without Max Battery Power on, so take it with a grain of salt. Will be testing more tonight/tomorrow.

OOOOOHHH. Yeah. Definitely try it with Max Battery on. As I recall, I had a 25kW power difference between Max battery and not max immediately after switching it on. Waiting for it to heat was not a big difference. this was, of course, with 7.1.

I'm on the last 7.1 update and i'll do some datalogging as a point of comparison for the 1071394-00-A battery.

Because it is completely unnecessary to solve the problem and adds a bunch of math for no reason.
Of course I could have done them simultaneously using math, but I wanted to see how the weight and power each affected the performance. What did math ever do to you?

I don't see how the shape of the power curve would have any affect on how weight affects elapsed time, but let me think about that. In any case because the increased weight is such a small fraction of the total weight, any reasonable method is going to give a similar answer for the change in et for this small change in weight.

Last edited:
mine has arrived.... :)

Attachments

• IMG_8442.JPG
    IMG_8442.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.