Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a P90DL loaner for a couple of weeks while my P85D is getting upgraded to Ludicrous.

This loaner is a recent model and has the 1071394-00-A battery, so I was hoping to get some power data out of it but I don't have the credentials for remote access.

Is there another way to log data these days, through the CAN bus for example?

Hey guys, I have a P90DL loaner for a couple of weeks while my P85D is getting upgraded to Ludicrous.

This loaner is a recent model and has the 1071394-00-A battery, so I was hoping to get some power data out of it but I don't have the credentials for remote access.

I would highly recommend to just bring the P90DL loaner to a drag strip. We now got plenty of data in regards to what battery serial number / production date is making what kind of kw power. However, we are still lacking what a 510kw P90DL can do in the real world. Drag strip performance in real world is way better than knowing the theoretical power number your car is making.

Reactions: Alex(AUS)
I would highly recommend to just bring the P90DL loaner to a drag strip. We now got plenty of data in regards to what battery serial number / production date is making what kind of kw power. However, we are still lacking what a 510kw P90DL can do in the real world. Drag strip performance in real world is way better than knowing the theoretical power number your car is making.

Liability nightmare...

Thanks for the info. So your record run max power is more like 495 - 498 kw? (instead of 493 kw in your chart)

493kW is the best I have yet recorded. This datalog was with 97% SoC. I believe the difference is in the 2.22.50 firmware. @ShotgunF15E and I have the same battery and very similar build dates. I expect that once I get 2.24.xx I should be able to break into 500kW range and, hopefully, a 10.9xx pass.

• Informative
Reactions: Ames and ggnykk
I did not root my car. I went to Bakersfield because I heard it was a faster track then Fontana that is why I trailered it and there were no chargers nearby. At Fontana I did 11.326 @ 116.92 so .1 sec and 2.7 mph slower.

This tells me that there is something up with the Bakersfield timing system. Your other runs are more in line with everyone else.

Loaners are limited to 80 MPH, he won't be able to get any good data at the drag strip.

Wow I was just looking at your power chart and a lot of power is dropped after half track! Almost 100kw in only 11 seconds of acceleration.

I wonder if you are running too hot. You might be better to start cooler to allow more power longer than start with absolute max (which is mostly torque managed anyway).

I am curious to compare the power reading to the one on drag times.

I don't think that directly correlating kW and acceleration is valid. Take a look again at the graph. you'll note that I am doing my best acceleration while kW is still ramping up. What would actually be more interesting would be a torque output reading from the motor.

Attachments

• L_96_Max_NoAC.jpg
    L_96_Max_NoAC.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 63
493kW is the best I have yet recorded. This datalog was with 97% SoC. I believe the difference is in the 2.22.50 firmware. @ShotgunF15E and I have the same battery and very similar build dates. I expect that once I get 2.24.xx I should be able to break into 500kW range and, hopefully, a 10.9xx pass.
You are extracting every inch of acceleration in the first half. I wonder why your second half is slower than others? It might be worth while doing some testing of settings, charge, temp that gives you best average kW over the run with a bias toward the big end ... As a good part of the start is torque managed.

If you cannot improve that second half I don't see how you could go much better in the first. It may remain an agonisingly close 11 (even with the added power) .... Maybe this new software has something in it (another 10 or so kW) to get you over the line...

St Charles:
Did you realize that you posted evidence that your car went into warp drive and then some?
The time slip shows this happened on the fourth of July this year. But you reported it to us on the 1st. SO you went so fast that you arrived at least 3 days before you started! .....What did it feel like?
The first time in history of mankind that ANYONE has done this and you caused a time dilation of 3 days in just a 1/4 mile run! !
I want your car! :)

Seriously though, I believe you are definitely within 10's striking distance and I believe it is just around the corner for you. Thanks for risking yourself and your car for our entertainment.

Reactions: St Charles
You are extracting every inch of acceleration in the first half. I wonder why your second half is slower than others?

What others? Every other graph I have seen works out to be about the same. Please post what you are looking at.

If you cannot improve that second half I don't see how you could go much better in the first. It may remain an agonisingly close 11 (even with the added power) .... Maybe this new software has something in it (another 10 or so kW) to get you over the line...

I'm not sure how I would improve it other than shed weight. I'm already on 19" wheels and I'm not gonna start unbolting seats, lol. I suppose I could drop the suspension to Low rather than Normal.

Honestly, these cars do their work at the starting line. It would have been nice if Mason Dixon didn't make us drive through the water box. There was no way around it at this track as the guy was spraying water almost end to end. think it's possible at my current power level. If I was able to get an extremely sticky track at a high SoC with a hot battery and cool motors and a perfect shallow stage. All I need is a 1.55" sixty foot time to knock off that last .05"

St Charles:
Did you realize that you posted evidence that your car went into warp drive and then some?
The time slip shows this happened on the fourth of July this year. But you reported it to us on the 1st. SO you went so fast that you arrived at least 3 days before you started! .....What did it feel like?

That's classified, you weren't supposed to notice. Doc Brown sent me back in time to pick up some Humpback whales. Now, if you would please direct your attention right here...

Seriously though, I believe you are definitely within 10's striking distance and I believe it is just around the corner for you. Thanks for risking yourself and your car for our entertainment.

Time and effort, that's all it takes.

P
What others? Every other graph I have seen works out to be about the same. Please post what you are looking at.

I'm not sure how I would improve it other than shed weight. I'm already on 19" wheels and I'm not gonna start unbolting seats, lol. I suppose I could drop the suspension to Low rather than Normal.

Honestly, these cars do their work at the starting line. It would have been nice if Mason Dixon didn't make us drive through the water box. There was no way around it at this track as the guy was spraying water almost end to end. think it's possible at my current power level. If I was able to get an extremely sticky track at a high SoC with a hot battery and cool motors and a perfect shallow stage. All I need is a 1.55" sixty foot time to knock off that last .05"
Please note the mph gain of the attached slip mid track to trap. It is significantly higher than what you had. I had posted that before ... I wonder why that is. Given only the same acceleration, you would have crossed at around 122 and a 10.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Marc,

I very much need some data with the Max Batt Pwr OFF using power tools. Any data points between 60% and 90+% after 10 mins or so of driving would help develop a curve like we have for other models and batteries. It seems like everyone with the new battery is running with Max Batt Pwr ON all the time (not good for the battery and not recommended by Tesla) and only providing data between 80% and 100%. That curve is well established. Of course Ludicrous should always be enabled.

In fact for the guys that are running Max Batt Pwr ON all the time; after taking a max power data point, immediately cut Max Batt Pwr OFF and do the same test. Results will be interesting.

Thanks

Marc,

I very much need some data with the Max Batt Pwr OFF using power tools. Any data points between 60% and 90+% after 10 mins or so of driving would help develop a curve like we have for other models and batteries. It seems like everyone with the new battery is running with Max Batt Pwr ON all the time (not good for the battery and not recommended by Tesla) and only providing data between 80% and 100%. That curve is well established. Of course Ludicrous should always be enabled.

In fact for the guys that are running Max Batt Pwr ON all the time; after taking a max power data point, immediately cut Max Batt Pwr OFF and do the same test. Results will be interesting.

Thanks

Would love to help, but I can't use PowerTools since I don't have the credentials to this loaner's remote access. Which is why I asked whether there was a way to log power through the CAN bus...

By the way, testing again immediately after turning Max Battery Power off will likely not yield substantially different results, since the battery would still be warm. I would suggest waiting 15-20 minutes after turning Max Power off to test again after the battery has had a chance to cool down.

Again, having CAN bus data would be very helpful as it probably includes battery temperatures.

Last edited:
P

Please note the mph gain of the attached slip mid track to trap. It is significantly higher than what you had. I had posted that before ... I wonder why that is. Given only the same acceleration, you would have crossed at around 122 and a 10.

Different weight, different track, different timing system? It's really hard to say what's going on here as a timeslip does not tell the full story.

Keep in mind that mph at a track is a calculated value, not a direct observation. With that in mind I ask you this. How come it took him 4.22 seconds to get to the 1/4 when I did it in 4.1-ish? What I am saying is that i dont think his top end is really any better but the car may be lighter.

Keep in mind that mph at a track is a calculated value, not a direct observation. With that in mind I ask you this. How come it took him 4.22 seconds to get to the 1/4 when I did it in 4.1-ish? What I am saying is that i dont think his top end is really any better but the car may be lighter.

Exactly.

And that time slip doesn't indicate that it is either, regardless of the trap speed.

If it has better top end than yours, well then like you say, how come it took it longer to finish the 1/4 from the 1/8, i.e. run the "top end" of the track, than you did?

Status
Not open for further replies.