Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4890 without driver. Where does MT list all of the options on the test car? I don't see that, I do see a $130,700 price as tested which is not a stripped down car.

$130 is a bargain for a P90DL as it is a stripped down. From the pics the 4689 lb Motor Trend test car had:
- Red paint (the second red car shows the instrumented testing -- not the first blue car)
- 21" wheels
- CF spoiler
- CF interior
- next gen seats
- AP

all relatively zero weight or lightweight options. -- 21" wheels are probably the most marginal weight option.

Those options alone (without SAS, etc,) take a current P90DL to $133,700.

How much of a price change was there that explains that difference? I think it was only ~$1500?

From the pics the MT car did NOT have:
- premium package (and associated power hatch motor etc.)
- pano

And because of the low price eaten up with the other options, it likely did not have:
- SAS
- UHF
- dual charger
with pano and premium, all common options that P90D owners get

And of course, in addition to the benefits of those options, they also get the performance and range effects of the associated weight.

And the cars are being steadily made lighter:

upload_2016-8-12_9-22-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-12_9-16-9.png
    upload_2016-8-12_9-16-9.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Doesn't mean it can't be done. In going from 1500 to 1600 amps its only a 2% increase in power. Surely a car and driver configured like TRC's that does 10.8 could do 10.9 with only 2% less power.

What??? Why do you say that? My max power at 1500 amps was 555hp at the battery. After the upgrade it's 611 hp at the batttery. That's a 10% increase in power which is what Tesla claimed it would be.

Reactions: St Charles
Yeah, but as you increase the current the voltage sags more. With my pack when I measured voltage and current I got:
1500 amps at 323 volts = 484500 watts
1600 amps at 310 volts = 496000 watts.

496000/484500 = 1.024

The P85DL packs sagged to 305 volts at 1500 amps.

True which is why the 15.4% increase in current from 1300 to 1500 only results in a 10% increase in power.

The 1600 amp battery is putting out 685 hp at the battery which is a 12% jump in power even though it's only 6.67% increase in current because the voltage drop is a lot lower on the new battery.

Last edited:
That's the same as a P85DL. So how could it be that you could expect less performance with a upgraded P85DL vs a new P90DL? It must have been software limited. Has anyone posted actual voltage vs current measurements for a v1 P90DL?

You must be new otherwise you'd know that V1 P90DLs have consistently performed the same as P85DLs. In fact, for quite a while a P85DL held the fastest known time slip between P85DLs and P90DLs.

In addition to measured performance, the logged power of P90DLV1s and P85DLs has been identical until the P90DLV2.

I just got mine in mid July and it's 1600 amps and 500Kw.

Yup, and he got his this month in August and ran a time considerably faster than any previous V2 car. Maybe it's because he's a jocky with no pano and maybe that's not the reason. I'd guess there's a good chance that's the reason but I want to see the power logged on a 10.8 second P90DL.

You don't need to. We know they're 1500 amp batteries making 456KW which makes it a sag to 304 volts.

The batteries are capable of 1500 amps. The 304 volts assumes they are not limiting the current to cap max power to protect some other component. The decreased sag might still be available, but the power curve they have programmed isn't making use of it which is why I wanted to see how the voltage varied with current.

The batteries are capable of 1500 amps. The 304 volts assumes they are not limiting the current to cap max power to protect some other component. The decreased sag might still be available, but the power curve they have programmed isn't making use of it which is why I wanted to see how the voltage varied with current.

There have been plenty of CANBUS charts posted of both P85DLs and P90DLV1s.

This is what I was looking for. Do you have any links? Without this information, your condescending A = B * C isn't correct.

It is if you're assuming the car is making it's maximum current. If you want to know the relationship between voltage and current and less than maximum current, then you'll need CANBUS data to see the breakout before their multiplied together for the detailed REST API response.

Status
Not open for further replies.