Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TRC videos are a bit like a vlog. He posts when he has something he thinks is interesting. He's been known to combine several events to one video, or makes several videos of a single event.
But in the same breath, he says he's there to see if he can break into the tens. So if it is a compilation of something that happened earlier, it would have happened before Aug 7, pushing 3 weeks earlier even more into July. I guess 3 weekends could be as little as two weeks, but still.

Last edited:
He could also be referring to times he went with the older Tesla as well as times where he went to his local 1/8th mile track. He isn't very specific. Why does it matter?

But in the same breath, he says he's there to see if he can break into the tens. So if it is a compilation of something that happened earlier, it would have happened before Aug 7, pushing 3 weeks earlier even more into July.

He could also be referring to times he went with the older Tesla as well as times where he went to his local 1/8th mile track. He isn't very specific. Why does it matter?
Sorka wondered if maybe TRC had an even newer battery that was better than 1600 amps @ 500Kws. It looks like he took delivery about the same time as i did if not earlier. I know there's no absolute guarantee, but he most likely has a 1600amp @ 500Kw battery like mine. That's why I asked if sorka could nail the delivery date down.

If you watch the video, he's clearly talking about the most recent 1/4 mile runs.

Last edited:
Sorka wondered if maybe TRC had an even newer battery that was better than 1600 amps @ 50Kws. It looks like he took delivery about the same time as i did if not earlier. I know there's no absolute guarantee, but he most likely has a 1600amp @ 500Kw battery like mine. That's why I asked if sorka could nail the delivery date down.

If you watch the video, he's clearly talking about the most recent 1/4 mile runs.

I see where you are going now. I'd be willing to bet he has a 512kW battery in that car. The more recent iterations of the P90DL battery seem to have varying kW outputs. The most I have seen from my car is 495kW but others have reported 500kW out of the same model number. A few refresh cars have logged as much as 512kW. it's possible this kid has something with a bit more in it still.

I think I'm beginning to see why the early P90DL people might be pissed.

People who get pissed when newer, faster, lighter, better versions of their car come out will forever lament their Tesla purchase.

Enjoy what you have.

It will only get lighter: Tesla dropped hundreds of pounds off the Model S since launch, new models speed to 0-60 in just 3.7 seconds (.5 seconds faster)?

Elon Musk – Chairman and CEO

Well, the puzzle [ph] on weight versus range is not super strong. There is an improvement but it’s not a huge improvement. The Model S has gotten steadily lighter over time. It’s really like, you know, it’s quarter a pound here, half pound there, but the Model S in production today is at least a few hundred pounds less than that in the start of production. And we’ll continue to see improvements over time.

So to get to a step change on — I mean, there are so many pieces in the car, like you have the battery pack, the motor — the transmission, or the gear box, the tires and wheels, the seats. I think if you’ve got like a big improvement any one of those items, maybe with the exception of the battery pack, it only changes the weight of the car by like 1%, 2% or something. These are all good things, but there’s not like one big block [indiscernible] sitting in the car that [indiscernible] more primitive. It requires whittling away at a whole bunch of things.

JB Straubel – Chief Technology Officer

And the range impact is, you know, weight is one fraction of impact on range, so, even smaller than the direct percentage of weight reduction.

Elon Musk – Chairman and CEO

Yeah. And it is getting slightly better over time. It’s hard for people to sort of perceive it from one month to the next, but if you look at it over the course of a year, you’d notice.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I've only been involved with this for a couple weeks and haven't been exposed to all the data that's obviously been flying around for a long time. But I think I'm beginning to see why the early P90DL people might be pissed.

Thanks for looking for the logs. I've been digging, too. I'd still like to see them. It's not that I don't believe you all. Trust but verify.

The only way I see a legitimate reason for them to be pissed, is if their cars weren't capable of 10.9 in the first place, and there is no solid proof that this was the case.

The newer cars having more power is not grounds for the early P90DL people to be pissed unless their cars were incapable of running 10.9 in the first place, and that much has not been solidly established.

People who get pissed when newer, faster, better versions of their car come out will forever lament their Tesla purchase.

Enjoy what you have.

I went back and reread some of the earlier parts of this thread. I can see where the anger comes from. If you put my 500kW car next to a 2015 P90DL there is nothing to go on that there was a difference in performance. Why some think this is a problem is because the sales language didn't update or change to reflect that something was updated. Especially if the updated performance specs are more inline with the sales verbiage. It's not illegal but it definitely looks dishonest.

You know what actually bothers me? I have a classic front end and with the wiring updates to the Model S, I may not actually be able to upgrade to a newer pack when larger capacities come out.

I went back and reread some of the earlier parts of this thread. I can see where the anger comes from. If you put my 500kW car next to a 2015 P90DL there is nothing to go on that there was a difference in performance. Why some think this is a problem is because the sales language didn't update or change to reflect that something was updated. Especially if the updated performance specs are more inline with the sales verbiage. It's not illegal but it definitely looks dishonest.

You know what actually bothers me? I have a classic front end and with the wiring updates to the Model S, I may not actually be able to upgrade to a newer pack when larger capacities come out.

If you look really closely St Charles, you'll find that a lot of the "anger" doesn't come from actual P90DL owners at all, but from those who don't even own the car.

That's right, many, if not most of the people hollering the loudest about this matter and carrying on about how such a "travesty" it is, msnow, lolachampcar, NSX1992, Alex(AUS), vip gts, do not even own a P90D with Ludicrous.

Read some of the more anger filled posts in this thread on this matter, and you'll probably observe that.

People like yourself, who are happy with their cars as they are, and who don't obsess over what was a .1517 shortfall for 10.9999, a time run by what amounts to them as "somebody else", indeed a total stranger, I might add, are a lot less animated when it comes to this matter.

The fact that "somebody else, from somewhere else, and carrying perhaps more weight, came up .1517 seconds short of the 10.9 spec", does not whatsoever affect their pride in ownership of the car.

My point is that most actual P90DL owners in here, seem to be quite satisfied with the car.

This is why I don't believe that this "matter" is going to carry much weight in terms of negative publivity for Tesla, or even in terms of resale value over the long haul.

Cars go out of style. Prior experience should tell us that there will come a time in the not to distant future, where no version of what we consider a current P90D at this time, will fetch much, if any more than the next, in terms of resale, when something bigger, badder, improved in every way and better looking for it's time comes out.

However those who don't own it, well a lot of them are the more vocal about it.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jpet and NSX1992
If you look really closely St Charles, you'll find that a lot of the "anger" doesn't come from actual P90DL owners at all, but from those who don't even own the car.

That's right, many, if not most of the people hollering the loudest about this matter and carrying on about how such a "travesty" it is, msnow, lolachampcar, NSX1992, Alex(AUS), vip gts, do not even own a P90D with Ludicrous.

Read some of the more anger filled posts in this thread on this matter, and you'll probably observe that.

People like yourself, who are happy with their cars as they are, and who don't obsess over what was a .1517 shortfall for 10.9999, a time run by "somebody else", I might add, are a lot less animated when it comes to this matter.

The fact that "somebody else", carrying more weight, came up .1517 seconds short of the 10.9 spec, does not affect their pride in ownership of the car.

However those who don't own it, well a lot of them are the more vocal about it.
No, not at all. The anger, if that's what you choose to call it, comes from your characterization that those that are impacted have no reason to be. They should just "get over it" in your view. Not one person that I've seen has said they don't enjoy their car. Incidentally, if you are sensing anger you would do well to look internally at your tone and style to remedy that situation.

...Not one person that I've seen has said they don't enjoy their car. ...

So why are so many of you guys who do not own the car in question, the P90D with Ludicrous, so insistent that these people shouldn't, but rather should instead, feel taken advantage of, ripped off, indeed gypped,...... and for no other reason, when you get down to it, than because a total stranger to them and most everybody else on this board, came up just 0.1517 seconds short in an attempt at 10.999???

The theme of some of my earlier posts in this thread and directed towards some of the harshest critics, was "so sue the bastards".

It turns out that many of you yelling the loudest, can't "sue the bastards"....... because you don't even own the car.

Last edited:
So why are so many of you guys who do not own the car in question, the P90D with Ludicrous, so insistent that these people shouldn't, but rather should instead feel taken advantage of, indeed gypped,...... and for no other reason when you get down to it, than because a total stranger to them and most everybody else on this board, came up just 0.1517 seconds short of 10.999???
Just speaking for myself, it was because I was sympathetic and being supportive of those that did feel that way nor did anyone including me say they shouldn't enjoy their cars. This discussion "when you get down to it" started long before St Charles run so that's definately not the reason. Look, this isn't the kind of thing where we can vote you off the island and you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just suggesting the rhetoric could be toned down on both sides.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85DEE and NSX1992
Just speaking for myself, it was because I was sympathetic and being supportive of those that did feel that way nor did anyone including me say they shouldn't enjoy their cars.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but perhaps your "sympathy" might be better placed in areas and on those who actually need it.
As opposed to people who can afford and do own cars costing in excess of $130,000.00 and capable of traveling at speeds that would get one jail time in many jurisdictions.

This discussion "when you get down to it" started long before St Charles run so that's definately not the reason. Look, this isn't the kind of thing where we can vote you off the island and you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just suggesting the rhetoric could be toned down on both sides.

Believe me, this is toned down.

I can think of a lot more things to say about us in here, who don't even own the car, trying to argue that people who can afford a car at this price point, ought to be raising hell because "some other guy" failed by .1517 seconds to run a 10.9 second quarter mile time.

• Disagree
Reactions: jpet
Not trying to tell you what to do, but perhaps your "sympathy" might be better placed in areas and on those who actually need it.
As opposed to people who can afford and do own cars costing in excess of $130,000.00 and capable of traveling at speeds that would get one jail time in many jurisdictions.

Believe me, this is toned down.

I can think of a lot more things to say about us in here, who don't even own the car, trying to argue that people who can afford a car at this price point, ought to be raising hell because "some other guy" failed by .1517 seconds to run a 10.9 second quarter mile time.
You don't have a dog in this fight, why don't you step out of it and stop telling people that do to get over it then?

• Disagree
Reactions: P85DEE
You don't have a dog in this fight, why don't you step out of it and stop telling people that do to get over it then?

What I've discovered, is that more often than not in the back and forths that I've been involved in on this matter, I'm not telling actual owners of the car to "get over it", but it actually turns out that most of the people I'm saying that to, are just like myself in that they don't own the car.

It turns out that I'm saying "get over it" a lot louder to you and other non owners of the car who are at the forefront of and who spearhead a lot of this strife, than I am to them.

As I said before, a lot more actual owners of the car seem to be more comfortable with and do not obsess over this matter and are not ready to break something over it, than some of you guys seem to be.

It's not the actual owners doing the loudest hollering and are ready to hang somebody over it.

It's you non owners who are.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jpet
Status
Not open for further replies.