Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I've discovered, is that more often than not in the back and forths that I've been involved in on this matter, I'm not telling actual owners of the car to "get over it", but it actually turns out that most of the people I'm saying that to, are just like myself in that they don't own the car.

I'm telling you to get over it.
lol, of course that's not true. @P85DEE when you start thinking that it's everyone else who is crazy and you're the only sane one it's time to reasses.

Last edited:
The only way I see a legitimate reason for them to be pissed, is if their cars weren't capable of 10.9 in the first place, and there is no solid proof that this was the case.

The newer cars having more power is not grounds for the early P90DL people to be pissed unless their cars were incapable of running 10.9 in the first place, and that much has not been solidly established.

I agree being pissed over the greater power of the latest p90dls isn't reasonable. But I can see where someone might be concerned about the capabilities of the original p90dls.

I know the small number of samples that are available from a very noisy data set do little to answer the question.
If you look at TRC's recent time slips, his times range over 0.1s (10.8 to 10.9). This is for the exact same car and driver at the same track under the same conditions. I assume he knows to stage as shallow as possible. His better elapsed times come at later times in the day. Is he charging between runs? We don't know. So I agree we can't use the data we have to answer the question. But it's looking tough.

The relationship between elapsed time and power is similar to the one for weight.
et2 = et1 * cube root of (power1 / power2). Using TRC's data and an early P90DL power of 456KW:
10.8 sec times the cube root of (500Kw / 456Kw) equals 11.14 sec. As for weight this number isn't exact. The power of the new cars varies around 500Kw and the older ones vary around 456. So I wouldn't say that this makes it impossible, but it's by no means certain. This is with a light car and driver, too.

And here's why I'm only beginning to see their point. I'm still not certain about using the relative max powers here. I'd like to see more detail about the voltage and current during acceleration. I don't see the advantage to tesla in saying that the p85dl conversions would under perform the original p90dls if in fact they were identical.

I'm sure this has already been argued endlessly, so let me have it.

So again, I agree we can't be certain one way or the other, but I don't begrudge them their doubts. And, of course, you shouldn't let anything I've said prevent the good fight.

Reactions: P85DEE and msnow
I agree being pissed over the greater power of the latest p90dls isn't reasonable. But I can see where someone might be concerned about the capabilities of the original p90dls.

I know the small number of samples that are available from a very noisy data set do little to answer the question.
If you look at TRC's recent time slips, his times range over 0.1s (10.8 to 10.9). This is for the exact same car and driver at the same track under the same conditions. I assume he knows to stage as shallow as possible. His better elapsed times come at later times in the day. Is he charging between runs? We don't know. So I agree we can't use the data we have to answer the question. But it's looking tough.

The relationship between elapsed time and power is similar to the one for weight.
et2 = et1 * cube root of (power1 / power2). Using TRC's data and an early P90DL power of 456KW:
10.8 sec times the cube root of (500Kw / 456Kw) equals 11.14 sec. As for weight this number isn't exact. The power of the new cars varies around 500Kw and the older ones vary around 456. So I wouldn't say that this makes it impossible, but it's by no means certain. This is with a light car and driver, too.

And here's why I'm only beginning to see their point. I'm still not certain about using the relative max powers here. I'd like to see more detail about the voltage and current during acceleration. I don't see the advantage to tesla in saying that the p85dl conversions would under perform the original p90dls if in fact they were identical.

I'm sure this has already been argued endlessly, so let me have it.

So again, I agree we can't be certain one way or the other, but I don't begrudge them their doubts. And, of course, you shouldn't let anything I've said prevent the good fight.

Several good points in your post aside from the ones in bold, but those are the ones which stood out most to this reader of your correspondence.

It is because of the very last bold point above, my bolds, not yours, btw, that I'm not ready by extension, to call Elon Musk and the hardworking people at Tesla liars, by pointing to the fact that no private owner, out of a very small sample of owners attempting, recorded a 10.9 quarter mile time at the original power level.

who ran the 11.157 in the ~450 kw Tesla with the V1 battery?

11.1516 in the quarter. St. Charles ran it before there was any mention in here of any increase in power.

Furthermore, that record beat the prior record by a mere .07 seconds. .068 seconds actually.

So there is no reason to believe that he was running with any more of a power advantage at that time than would anyone else with a P90D would have been.

It was also run during a time when your 11.244 stood, and between that time period and the time that NSX 1992 ran 11.224 in a P90DL.

So there is no proof that he wasn't sporting any significant advantage over a V2 car.

Take 0.1517 seconds off that and it ends up being 10.9999.

I believe that this is from your site.

2016 Tesla Model S P90DL V2

Last edited:
certainly that does not count as a V1 car, it has a later produced battery that is known to make more power.

unless St Charles documented that he had 450 kw during that run.....

11.1516 in the quarter. St. Charles ran it before there was any mention in here of any increase in power.

Furthermore, that record beat the prior record by a mere .07 seconds

Take 0.1517 seconds off that and it ends up being 10.9999.

I believe that this is from your site.

2016 Tesla Model S P90DL V2

you are the one blowing on the flames, throwing up lawsuits and lying all the time...

I'm not complaining so much about them "commenting". If they were just "commenting" and ended there, then that's one thing.

But to attempt to promote the idea that Elon Musk was lying when he said 10.9 in the quarter, goes well beyond "commenting".

Me? I guess we are throwing out the idea that a SW upgrade had anything to do with it then?

I'm completely dismissing the idea that you had any power advantage at the time that you ran 11.1516, over any other P90DL owner at that time.

The biggest reason why I say this, is because a guy, who just asked me to leave because he doesn't like the fact that I'm so effective at using his own results at attacking his position, ran 11.224 in not a P90DL, but a P85DL.

In other words, he produced a time which was just 0.07 seconds slower than your own and he did it in a car which was said to not be the equivalent of a P90DL.

Last edited:
certainly that does not count as a V1 car, it has a later produced battery that is known to make more power.

Prove it was making more power than any other V1 P90D at the time that he ran that, and you might have something.

Indeed, comparing his 11.1516 with the best V1 times which follow that, as well as comparing it to a P85DL which was just .07 seconds off his, gives no indication whatsoever that he was making any more power at the time that he ran that, than any other P90DL at the time.

His trap speed certainly does not indicate that he was making any more power than any other P90DL at the time.

I asked "who" ran this time, timeslip, data?

unless St Charles documented that he had 450 kw during that run.....

I did not datalog so I do not know what power level I actually had. I will say that the only logs I have show a max of just under 500kW. It is entirely possible I have had 500kW available to me from day 1. All I have are timeslips from different tracks separated by over a months time.

Attachments

• 11.055 pass timeslip.jpg
    11.055 pass timeslip.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 11.151 pass timeslip.jpg
    11.151 pass timeslip.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 25
  • Informative
Reactions: sorka
I'm completely dismissing the idea that you had any advantage at the time that you ran 11.1516, over any other P90DL owner at that time.

The biggest reason why I say this, is because a guy, who just asked me to leave because he doesn't like the fact that I'm so effective at using his own results at attacking his position, ran 11.224 in not a P90DL, but a P85DL.

In other words, he produced a time which was just 0.07 seconds slower than your own and he did it in a car which was said to not be the equivalent of a P90DL.
Oh come on. He asked you to leave because you are abrasive.

Status
Not open for further replies.