Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, thanks sillydriver, that's very informative.
No problem. I love a mystery. I see you dug up the MT testing article that does mention 'high desert' locations multiple times. They use corrections that improve times on ICE cars in hot, high altitude conditions, and the article mentions they use smaller corrections on hybrids. And my guess is that they use no corrections on pure electric cars. But I doubt whether they apply corrections the other way, cutting back electric car performance from what is measured in hot, high altitude conditions, where air drag is lower. But in that case their tests would produce artificially good numbers.

The newer batteries must be running higher than 1500 amps and are probably around 1600 amps given the KWs seen.
I hope Its the current vs the voltage drop as you suggest. If the improvement is because of lower voltage drop, that may indicate that the 90D battery is fundamentally more capable than the 85D battery......which is certainly plausible.

And thus the P85DL is at the limit of its performance.

If increased current is the only factor, I would expect/hope that the P85DL may also achieve the higher powers since we now have the fuse and contactors to support these currents.....at least that's what I thought the L upgrade was all about.

I suspect we will know soon.

No problem. I love a mystery. I see you dug up the MT testing article that does mention 'high desert' locations multiple times. They use corrections that improve times on ICE cars in hot, high altitude conditions, and the article mentions they use smaller corrections on hybrids. And my guess is that they use no corrections on pure electric cars. But I doubt whether they apply corrections the other way, cutting back electric car performance from what is measured in hot, high altitude conditions, where air drag is lower. But in that case their tests would produce artificially good numbers.

You bring up several good points above.

When I saw that they clearly recognized that correction factors would need to be reduced for hybrids, it made no sense to me that they would use standard ICE correction factors for a BEV like the Tesla, which is what I've seen some in here suggest.

The consideration of high DA being an "advantage" for any drag vehicle looking for best times, well I'll admit, is/was strange to me, having been conditioned to favor low DA for best results.

However in seeking the best quarter mile time, every little bit is a help.

If high DA would reduce resistance and drag as some have indicated, and it certainly makes sense to me that it would, well then I can see how running the car at a high altitude would certainly not have hurt its time, and possibly could have helped. How much, I wouldn't even hazard a quess.

And like you, I also doubt MT imposed a penalty on the car for running in what would have been advantageous conditions,... at least for it.

At any rate, I love a good mystery too.

And the sleuth in me, is pointing farther and farther away from an explanation and conclusion of "ringers" and other shenanigans.

NASA faked the moon landing,
Bush orchestrated 9/11,
Obama was born in Kenya,
and Tesla provided a ringer car to MT with secret sauce power

These topics are all equally worthy of discussion and debate, and I'll waste no time in reading and contributing to threads on such topics.

But could we just focus on the data and evidence of the cars' performance, and what is or is not causing and contributing to the performance, and not conspiracy allegations.
I do agree that we need to stop discussing about how Motor Trend/ Car and Driver got their number months ago, at least NOT in this thread. There is no way to prove what specs they had anyway at this point. Wild or educated speculations are not helping this thread. All of these discussion are just "side show".

That's why we need to measure the performance ourselves now, so we can verify the 10.9 second 1/4 mile independently. Most of us just want to know what a 510 kw P90DL can do in a drag strip. So far, just a lot of talking and no one is doing it. We need time slip and independent/reliable data.

So here's my thoughts:

I think Tesla has been grappling with how to release improvements to their cars at a faster pace than the "model year" system while minimizing the anger of customers who "just missed out" on a new feature. That may be what we're seeing here.

Suppose Tesla is silently releasing 100 kWh batteries software-limited to 90 kWh. At the Gigafactory opening, they might announce that anyone who has a car manufactured after some date can be software-upgraded to 100 kWh. This would:

1. Be cool--software upgradeable cars (which they're really already doing on the lower-end models) and with autopilot.
2. Add more publicity value to the Gigafactory opening and help highlight Tesla's lead in the EV range space.
3. Help minimize the disappointment of owners who "just missed out". Sure, there will still be people who just missed out on the silent upgrade to 100 kWh packs, but more time will have passed and there would probably be less moaning about it if more time had passed.

Plus, I'd bet there's a much higher uptake rate of people who would upgrade from 90 to 100 kWh than from 60-70kWh--if you drive a 90, you're likely to have more money and be more interested in performance upgrades.

So here's my thoughts:

I think Tesla has been grappling with how to release improvements to their cars at a faster pace than the "model year" system while minimizing the anger of customers who "just missed out" on a new feature. That may be what we're seeing here.

Suppose Tesla is silently releasing 100 kWh batteries software-limited to 90 kWh. At the Gigafactory opening, they might announce that anyone who has a car manufactured after some date can be software-upgraded to 100 kWh. This would:

1. Be cool--software upgradeable cars (which they're really already doing on the lower-end models) and with autopilot.
2. Add more publicity value to the Gigafactory opening and help highlight Tesla's lead in the EV range space.
3. Help minimize the disappointment of owners who "just missed out". Sure, there will still be people who just missed out on the silent upgrade to 100 kWh packs, but more time will have passed and there would probably be less moaning about it if more time had passed.

Plus, I'd bet there's a much higher uptake rate of people who would upgrade from 90 to 100 kWh than from 60-70kWh--if you drive a 90, you're likely to have more money and be more interested in performance upgrades.

I have been thinking almost exactly the same thing. We will find out soon enough ....

So here's my thoughts:

I've been wishfully thinking along these lines. I mean, I hope that's the case. Because, upgrade aside, it means I can charge my car to 100% every day and not worry about reducing battery life ;)

Why do you think that they've had the P100D badge in the firmware for many months? ;-)

I was expecting a D-like announcement in which everybody finds out that "you can now order a P100D!" at the Gigafactory opening.

But in my opinion the evidence is now pointing toward a software upgrade being announced to unleash an additional 10 kWh for cars built after some date that has already passed. At least, that's a reasonable explanation for some cars now putting out much more power than their predecessors (further making me feel bad about my lowly P85).

Status
Not open for further replies.