Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful that upgraded car doesn't have the same performance. Just like upgrading from P85D to a P85DL just isn't as fast as buying a P90DL. I am not sure if it will be the same situation with the P100DL, but just saying that there is a risk there.
Plus, since you live in northern Europe, very cold weather kill EV range quickly. People are reporting in other thread that the range of P100DL at 90% soc is about 18% higher than the same thing in P90DL. That 18% is higher than what people expected since EPA range difference on paper is only 16% difference.
Thanks for the info. My car is garaged so I havent noticed a lot of range dropping in cold weather. Tesla helped my desicion. Last night after these inquires, the price of the showroom car P90DL went down 10000 euros, so I made the leap. It is an undriven car manufactured late May. I bet it will have the 107 battery, although the L might be retrofit and even might have a newer battery. In addition to the previous discount and the fact that it was specced exactly as I wanted it (what are the chances of that), I couldnt resist the deal. In addition, the 100D upgrade chabges a totally different new battery pack (the old one is recycled), so I dont think in this case I will lose power. I think not comparable to the Ludicrous upgrade. I thought of it exactly opposite. The retrofit battery will be a newer model most likely than in cars produced today, so actually I might benefit from it, maybe, maybe not.

• Disagree
Reactions: Texas
Thanks for the info. My car is garaged so I havent noticed a lot of range dropping in cold weather. Tesla helped my desicion. Last night after these inquires, the price of the showroom car P90DL went down 10000 euros, so I made the leap. It is an undriven car manufactured late May. I bet it will have the 107 battery, although the L might be retrofit and even might have a newer battery. In addition to the previous discount and the fact that it was specced exactly as I wanted it (what are the chances of that), I couldnt resist the deal. In addition, the 100D upgrade chabges a totally different new battery pack (the old one is recycled), so I dont think in this case I will lose power. I think not comparable to the Ludicrous upgrade. I thought of it exactly opposite. The retrofit battery will be a newer model most likely than in cars produced today, so actually I might benefit from it, maybe, maybe not.
good for u. did u check the serial number of the battery first before buying?

I'm no tire expert, but It's my understanding that once a tire breaks loose the pieces of rubber that come off act as a lubricant and lower the coefficient of friction much like dumping a bunch of marbles all over the floor when someone is walking. You can play with this effect yourself by rubbing a pencil eraser on paper. The little bits of rubber get in between the paper and the eraser and it stops erasing and gets slippery. It usually ends up as a long stringy bit of rubber if you keep doing it. I've seen similar rubber formations thrown off tires that were peeling out.

So a good traction control system (or ABS) will try to anticipate when a wheel is about to break loose and reduce the torque to prevent it. This works way better than trying to just take action after the slippage has already started. (like older systems did)

I've had wheels break traction thousands of times on cars that don't have traction or ABS and sometimes they spun out of control but plenty of times regained traction. If you you said was even remotely true cars would go slipping off on and on ramps all the time.

To help lower speculations (maybe) here's a blowup version of the first 2 seconds of a slip:
This time the legend is embedded in the graph with all values using the left Y-axis, except for speed.
The gray circles highlights the speed mini-dip that induces the current reduction (in amps on the left scale) which in turn reduces torque.
Notice that it takes almost 3/4 seconds to re-establish full torque (yellow highlight)...thus the strong penalty for 'slipping'
View attachment 193677

There was no drop or cutback in power. It takes just over the 1 second to reach over 400KW in the first place. At the wheel slip point, you can clearly see no drop in KW output which is just the opposite of what happens when enough slip occurs for traction control to kick in where you get a massive drop in KW out off a cliff.

I'll see if I can capture some useful data, one way or the other. I'm not sure the elm 327 I have has enough bandwidth to capture all the frame id's simultaneously.

I just got to Roadrunner13's post and his graph shows exactly what I was expecting but it couldn't hurt to get more data :)

Now I have to catch up on a weeks worth of posts. Work was nuts as we rolled out new software to millions of devices this week.

good for u. did u check the serial number of the battery first before buying?

It was not possible. It is in another country and showrooms closed. These cars go quickly once the final drop happens. Anyway, my dealer knows that 100D upgrade is a must, we agreed on that beforehand and that will be checked on Monday. I also kept the 100D open until it is confirmed. I am, however, optimistic as its a May build date.

Reactions: ggnykk
There was no drop or cutback in power. It takes just over the 1 second to reach over 400KW in the first place. At the wheel slip point, you can clearly see no drop in KW output which is just the opposite of what happens when enough slip occurs for traction control to kick in where you get a massive drop in KW out off a cliff.
Just as the acceleration drops, dip in the green speed curve, the torque begins to drop rapidly. The current and power continue to rise until the break in the decreasing torque curve. At this point the current and power slopes level off. They go from being convex upward to concave upward.
During the time that the power and current continue rising, the torque x rpm is also rising. So clearly the wheels are spinning and the rpm is increasing at a rate to match the increased power being fed to the motors while the torque decreases. The inverter is trying to increase torque but can't because of loss of traction. The leveling off of the current and power looks like the controller has realized the wheels are spinning and is waiting for the speed of the vehicle to match the speed of the spinning wheels before slowly increasing power again.

Last edited:
I've had wheels break traction thousands of times on cars that don't have traction or ABS and sometimes they spun out of control but plenty of times regained traction. If you you said was even remotely true cars would go slipping off on and on ramps all the time.
I think it was on a episode of "head to head" between a hellcat and model x that the hellcat had done a bunch of burnouts. At the end of the episode they were making black "snow balls" out of the small pieces of rubber that had come off the tires.

We should also point out that our P85D spec panels now show 463 horsepower for the combined output rather than the 691 horsepower that Tesla claimed when it initially released the car. While the P85D’s two electric motors are capable of producing 221 and 470 horsepower individually (for a total of 691), they can’t both make maximum power at the same time due to limitations of the power electronics and the battery pack. Tesla subsequently revised its claims but nothing changes on the car. Our long-term car is, and always has been, capable of mustering 463 horsepower (it was built before the $7500 option to get 532 horsepower in Ludicrous mode was available).

This exact quote is from Car and Driver Long Term Road Update Two May 2016 for the P85D. Enough said.

Last edited:
Reactions: msnow
We should also point out that our P85D spec panels now show 463 horsepower for the combined output rather than the 691 horsepower that Tesla claimed when it initially released the car. While the P85D’s two electric motors are capable of producing 221 and 470 horsepower individually (for a total of 691), they can’t both make maximum power at the same time due to limitations of the power electronics and the battery pack. Tesla subsequently revised its claims but nothing changes on the car. Our long-term car is, and always has been, capable of mustering 463 horsepower (it was built before the $7500 option to get 532 horsepower in Ludicrous mode was available).

This exact quote is from Car and Driver Long Term Road Update Three September 2016 page 2 for the P85D. Enough said.
I'm willing to bet there's going to be at least one person who doesn't agree that "enough was said" ;).

I'm willing to bet there's going to be at least one person who doesn't agree that "enough was said" ;).

Enough had already been said earlier. But since your buddy decided that he needed to say a just a little bit more, well then what the hell, why not?;) Besides, you have your hands over your ears and your eyes tightly shut, as if that makes a difference. :D

This exact quote is from Car and Driver Long Term Road Update Two May 2016 for the P85D. Enough said.

You just can't let go of that, can you?

Tesla claimed 691 horsepower motor power.

That you and some of the others didn't recognize the difference between that and SAE J1349 Certified Horsepower, rest solely at your own feet.

Tesla said 691 horsepower motor power. If you or anyone else took that to mean 691 SAE J1349 Certified horsepower, well then that's your problem.

And if you don't think so, well then what are you doing/going to do about it, other than "you're an eight" and moan?

Zilch. Yeah, I thought so.

Nuff said.

Last edited:
You just can't let go of that, can you?

Tesla claimed 691 horsepower motor power...

sorry but that is factually incorrect if considered from the outset of Tesla's 691hp claim.

Tesla originally claimed 691hp without qualification, they later updated their website to state motor power, and then proceded to further modify and "clarify" their original inaccurate statements until eventually arriving at today's position. Even now only the P models have the "1 foot rollout" acceleration figure where the rest do not therefore exagerating the acceleration difference to the less informed and even to the well informed preventing true Tesla stated performance comparison of 0-60 accelration between across the model range.

imo this entire chapter remains one of the most disingenuous aspects of Tesla marketing and damaged many peoples opinion of Tesla, fortunately things do seem to be improving.

Reactions: yak-55 and NSX1992
Status
Not open for further replies.