Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Enhanced" nappa leather meant real leather on the doors instead of fake leather.

Actually the option for the lower dash and doors (before they lumped it into the premium interior package) was "extended leather". If Tesla reps are now saying "enhanced nappa leather" rear seats to convince people to accept the Gen1.5 standard leather seats instead of the NextGen leather seats originally ordered, that's sneaky.

Actually the option for the lower dash and doors (before they lumped it into the premium interior package) was "extended leather". If Tesla reps are now saying "enhanced nappa leather" rear seats to convince people to accept the Gen1.5 standard leather seats instead of the NextGen leather seats originally ordered, that's sneaky.

You hit the nail on the head with that one.

Tesla could find themselves with several unhappy customers once they find out they've been duped.

Danal, wondering what you meant by "enhanced Napa Leather in the back". What is enhanced from the original first gen back seats? I'm in the same trench as you. Much appreciated.

I'm working from memory, so don't put too much into any single word.

What it seems to mean is: Start with Textile front and back; this is base for the P85. Then you can option leather front and back for $1500 US, or leather back + Next Gen Front for $3500 US. Which really makes the NG fronts $1000 each.

Which is where I landed, given the choice. I didn't want the taller headrests in the back (anywhere, not just the center), nor did I want the "bumps" in the "bench" in the back. Just me :)

I was out at PBIR today and lowered the NexGen rear seats in a P85D. The bumps did not cause me any lay flat concerns. It is so close to my old P+ that I really do not see any difference. They are so similar that I find it hard to believe they would discontinue them because they do not lay flat enough.

Which is where I landed, given the choice. I didn't want the taller headrests in the back (anywhere, not just the center), nor did I want the "bumps" in the "bench" in the back. Just me :)

But now that Jerome has spoken on the matter, we know that the NextGen rear seat headrests aren't any taller than the Gen1.5 standard rear seat headrests. If someone from Tesla told you otherwise, they were either lying or misinformed.

But now that Jerome has spoken on the matter, we know that the NextGen rear seat headrests aren't any taller than the Gen1.5 standard rear seat headrests. If someone from Tesla told you otherwise, they were either lying or misinformed.

Tesla did not claim anything either way. In fact, they asked me why I was making the decision that I chose.

I was going by the photos of people who posted in this very thread. Specifically, this one:

attachment.php?attachmentid=69249&d=1421272537.jpg

I was out at PBIR today and lowered the NexGen rear seats in a P85D. The bumps did not cause me any lay flat concerns. It is so close to my old P+ that I really do not see any difference. They are so similar that I find it hard to believe they would discontinue them because they do not lay flat enough.

My concern with bumps in the bench has nothing to do with folding. It has to do with 80 and 90 year old parents.

I just got "the call" today. I figured my car was far enough down the queue that I wouldn't have a choice, so I was surprised to be asked. I'm part of the "fold flat" preference group. I've constructed a theory which may be complete baloney. I called my DS over the weekend and caught him on his day off. The person I talked to said he was 90% sure that all cars were coming with that kind of seats and I told him that was great, exactly what I wanted. My theory is that when my DS got back today he saw that my car was slated for NextGen rear seats and triggered the call so that I could express my preference. The reason I'm thinking this is that the person on the phone said "OK, I'll change your order and you'll get an email confirmation" at the end of the call. Put this one firmly in the "Grasping at Straws" department, but I'm glad they got it squared away. May the NextGen seats find a good home in somebody else's car. :)

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback ...

I just got "the call" today. I figured my car was far enough down the queue that I wouldn't have a choice, so I was surprised to be asked. I'm part of the "fold flat" preference group. I've constructed a theory which may be complete baloney. I called my DS over the weekend and caught him on his day off. The person I talked to said he was 90% sure that all cars were coming with that kind of seats and I told him that was great, exactly what I wanted. My theory is that when my DS got back today he saw that my car was slated for NextGen rear seats and triggered the call so that I could express my preference. The reason I'm thinking this is that the person on the phone said "OK, I'll change your order and you'll get an email confirmation" at the end of the call. Put this one firmly in the "Grasping at Straws" department, but I'm glad they got it squared away. May the NextGen seats find a good home in somebody else's car. :)

As the previous photos posted shows, the difference in folding flat between the old and next gen is negligible at best. I don't know why anyone would select the old generation seats and use the "fold flat" as the reason for skipping the next gen rears. I guess you prefer less comfortable and mismatched seats??

As the previous photos posted shows, the difference in folding flat between the old and next gen is negligible at best. I don't know why anyone would select the old generation seats and use the "fold flat" as the reason for skipping the next gen rears. I guess you prefer less comfortable and mismatched seats??
There is a larger lip where it folds and some of us are concerned about the seat bolsters for getting in and out and the comfort for larger people. My club has a meeting on Wednesday and there will be members with different versions of the seats there so we'll check it out first hand.

My D came with the new-old seats, front and rear. The taller headrests in back were immediately apparent in the rear-view mirror, as was the need to put the front seatbacks more upright when folding the rears. As long as the NG rear headrests are no taller than what I've got, when the call comes I'm going to insist on NG front and rear.

Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback ...

I just got "the call" today for my Australian P85D order. The guy on the phone acknowledged that the difference in fold-flatness is minimal, and there was no mention of headrests. I was told that I could keep my order as is, switch to standard rear seats without refund, or upgrade to executive seats. I opted to stay with the next-gen.