Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading another thread, and realizing that there are some very different situations with the MCU2 upgrade.

Some people bought a car in 2012. The MCU2 upgrade for $1500 gets them LTE ($500 otherwise), and feels pretty reasonable after 9 years of ownership, more than half that out of warranty. It's amazing Tesla supports that! MCU1 already did so much more than was ever advertised originally, and now MCU2 does it even better.

Some people bought a car in 2018. It still has almost 2 years of warranty left. $1500 just to get voice commands working while under warranty feels very wrong. MCU1 is so bad at many of the things it was advertised to do.

The more I think about it, the more it's wrong that Tesla has a fixed "upgrade" cost. Cars still in warranty should be treated differently.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more it's wrong that Tesla has a fixed "upgrade" cost. Cars still in warranty should be treated differently.

Or perhaps make it about the tech. Cars with non AP or pre-mid-2015 AP1 would gain LTE but miss out on a lot of functionality MCU2 enables (Sentry, Multi-camera, etc...). Likewise, 2016-2018 cars with MCU1 and AP2+ would not benefit from the LTE board but they would get working cameras.

Maybe it's a wash.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The timing of the MCU2 price reduction is no coincidence... they have to formally respond to the NHTSA MCU1 recall request next week. :cool:

INRM-EA20003-11321.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

"Tesla’s written response to this letter referencing the identification codes in the upper right-hand corner on page 1 of this letter, must be submitted to this office no later than January 27, 2021."

Yes, this is part of their negotiation. They're trying to see if NHTSA will agree that this move is sufficient or not. Hopefully the feds don't cave.

Very interesting to see Tesla's response. They are really fighting this hard at the expense if poor PR and wasted time and resources

This was just posted in another forum, you wonder how much damage is already done?

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/nhtsa-asks-tesla-to-recall-model-s-model-x-touch-screen-safety-issues/

Am I wrong to believe that Corp must not really understand the extent of the issue? I would think if they saw it in person (or a video) that is just not a lag, but how the vehicle becomes barely if at all functional (and of course the safety features), they would take immediate action. I know it will cost them dollars, but I think they would stand behind their product. It just feels that Tesla is that kind of company, no?

This was just posted in another forum, you wonder how much damage is already done?
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...l-model-s-model-x-touch-screen-safety-issues/
NHTSA Asks Tesla to Recall Model S and Model X Over Touch Screen Safety Issues

Am I wrong to believe that Corp must not really understand the extent of the issue? I would think if they saw it in person (or a video) that is just not a lag, but how the vehicle becomes barely if at all functional (and of course the safety features), they would take immediate action. I know it will cost them dollars, but I think they would stand behind their product. It just feels that Tesla is that kind of company, no?

Well elon and the big guys at corporate probably haven't had to use an MCU 1 car in 4 years.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...l-model-s-model-x-touch-screen-safety-issues/
NHTSA Asks Tesla to Recall Model S and Model X Over Touch Screen Safety Issues

The non-functionalpart is when the eMMC fails and that is covered by warranty. The browser has always been laggy and that is nota safety issue.

• Disagree
Did anyone else notice this quote from that article...

“...Auto Reliability Surveys: A 2018 Model S owner from New Jersey wrote: "Driving along and the entire display and dashboard goes black. Cannot monitor speed or anything else, but the car continues to operate.””

My experience is the opposite, that the one and only benefit of MCU1 is that when the center display (MCU) fails that the dash display (ICU) does not.

“...Auto Reliability Surveys: A 2018 Model S owner from New Jersey wrote: "Driving along and the entire display and dashboard goes black. Cannot monitor speed or anything else, but the car continues to operate.””

My experience is the opposite, that the one and only benefit of MCU1 is that when the center display (MCU) fails that the dash display (ICU) does not.

Yea dash still stays alive. They are seperate computers. Sounds like they interviewed a 2018 mcu2 car lol

Unfortunately, the lag gets significantly worse over time and it does become a safety issue. You may have to wait several minutes to defrost your windshield because the screen is slow to respond.

Germany KBA watchdog also looking into Tesla touchscreen failures: paper

This is interesting. Germany's "NHTSA" is also now looking into the MCU failures. If other countries start to ask for recalls Tesla may have no choice but to switch out to mcu2. Sourcing parts for daughterboards with 10 year old components no longer in production on a global scale would be an even bigger task

The non-functionalpart is when the eMMC fails and that is covered by warranty. The browser has always been laggy and that is nota safety issue.

Unfortunately, the lag gets significantly worse over time and it does become a safety issue. You may have to wait several minutes to defrost your windshield because the screen is slow to respond.

Cars with non AP or pre-mid-2015 AP1 would gain LTE but miss out on a lot of functionality MCU2 enables (Sentry, Multi-camera, etc...). Likewise, 2016-2018 cars with MCU1 and AP2+ would not benefit from the LTE board but they would get working cameras.

Maybe it's a wash.

The difference is that LTE was never advertised as a feature of when the older cars bought their cars. Autopilot, maps, voice detection, etc were for a 2018 car, and that car is still under warranty for that function. AP becomes non functional (at least in my car) quite a bit when the MCU is acting up.

Germany KBA watchdog also looking into Tesla touchscreen failures: paper

This is interesting. Germany's "NHTSA" is also now looking into the MCU failures. If other countries start to ask for recalls Tesla may have no choice but to switch out to mcu2. Sourcing parts for daughterboards with 10 year old components no longer in production on a global scale would be an even bigger task

It's awesome that other countries are getting involved, but Tesla didn't sell that many cars overseas before 2018. It won't have a major impact on how many MCU1's they have to replace. Maybe 30% more. If they can do 150K, for the USA, they can do another 50K for ROW.