Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally see your point, but at the same time if you bring cost into the equation and make it relative... it would be equal to about $350 for a $30,000 car. Having MCU1 after daughterboard replacement and the continued issues is super annoying, I get it. But at the same time paying 350 for additional features is not a terrible deal, including the hardware to replace both screens. I see both sides, as an end user I do wish Tesla would have futureproofed, not just with the eMMC but also with the MCU design.

Handled badly. Not a terrible price. Toyota used to charge (or ask) about $400 a year (on a $27k car) to update the Nav DVD. And for that you got a disc with 1-year old data.

Reactions: bhzmark
Is $1500 MCU2 do screen replacement too? Have to ask since this is Tesla after all.

If not wanting a new screen, what is the cost reduction now?
Would love to know as well. At $2500, it included the screen replacement, with the possibility of knocking off $250 to retain the old screen. I'm contemplating keeping my old screen, since I just had the UV de-yellowing thing done a few weeks ago. But I'm not sure if the yellowing will eventually come back, and/or if the screen in the full MCU2 upgrade is still susceptible to the yellowing or not

This cheapskate, non early adopter is going to hang on to my MCU1. Make them pay to replace it with MCU2!
That's the spirit - I'm with you.

What's really perplexing about the ways Tesla handles these issues -- they act as if their owners are from the "lowest common denominator" category of consumers... meaning stupid.

On the whole - Tesla owners are a different breed. Why haven't they figured this out yet ?

Make us happy and we'll spread the joy to 100 other folks. Make us miserable and you won't live to see the sunrise.

Everything everyone buys is relative. Wealth is relative, and so is cost. I’m not saying it is cheap, I’m stating that in general, for someone dropping 130k on a car, $1500 is not as terrible as it sounds.

So much for electric cars needing less maintenance and having a low total cost of ownership. These cars are 3 years old. Also, most Model S/X were not $130K, more like $90k.

Reactions: Droschke
Handled badly. Not a terrible price. Toyota used to charge (or ask) about $400 a year (on a $27k car) to update the Nav DVD. And for that you got a disc with 1-year old data.

Did Toyota advertise free data updates? Tesla did (and free software updates, and free feature updates, and full self driving in 6 months, etc)

This is a company that told everyone in 2016 that the car had everything needed for full self driving. 3 years later, the center screen can't even reliability navigate you to the local service center, but a hardware update fixes that. How will FSD get you somewhere if the navigation doesn't work? What happened to having all the HW it needed?

So much for electric cars needing less maintenance and having a low total cost of ownership. These cars are 3 years old. Also, most Model S/X were not $130K, more like $90k.

My niece's Leaf has required zero maintenance. Cost of ownership has been just as advertised. If Ford / VW / Nissan can stay on the right track will be great news for all of us. Maybe not for Elon but don't really care about him.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Did you replace your eMMC yet?

I had a lot of issues as well prior to replacement. Post eMMC replacement it is still laggy and super frustrating.... but no major blackouts and no actual safety concerns for me after replacement. Nav takes a while to load but safe, no issues with signals, backup camera has a slight delay but not a blackout like prior.

I had a prior Audi that had a laggy interface from the beginning... with no option to replace. As cars become much more computer dependent this is definitely an issue we will have to deal with. I hope with future iterations they design the car so it’s much easier to upgrade, not if that becomes necessary but when.
This is exactly why I think I might just go for the $1500 upgrade. Insulting? Absolutely. But what is even worse is having friends and family sit in your 6-figure car and when they ask you to play a song on Spotify it takes you a solid 90-120 seconds just to get there. Not to mention voice commands that just don't work.

If they have to fix the issue with a recall they will take the least expensive option to resolve only the safety issues the NHTSA lists. In our case the eMMC will do just that. I can't imagine this chip costs them too much to make overseas.

Yeah, plenty of interfaces out there that are laggy from the start and no payouts there. However, if the interface does become completely unresponsive or crashes regularly, that still is a safety issue.

Just so people can see what to expect from a settlement of sorts, here's how the payoff was handle for Ford's system:
"Claim amounts will vary depending on owners’ experiences with the systems. The settlement stipulates that customers who had their multimedia system repaired once at the dealership can file a claim for $100. For two repair visits, that number jumps to $250, and those who brought their vehicle in for system repairs three or more times can file for $400. Even if you didn’t visit the dealership for a fix, however, affected owners can still file a claim for $45."
MyFord Touch, MyLincoln Touch lawsuit: $400 to some Ford, Lincoln owners

I don't think a free MCU2 is coming based on that. Most likely it'll be more proactive eMMC replacement and software updates to reduce the bloat. For those who bought FSD, perhaps they might get a bit more if MCU1 really does end up not usable with it.
They compensated for the number of service visits but did they fix the problem? Personally I can prove 5 on 5 service visit invoices that they have looked at issues related to my MCU. I hope a resolution comes of this!

?? Not 3/4 years ago it wasn't. More like $110,000 after rebates. There were more options back then, and most of us couldn't resist.

Also, all this discussion about price; *I* just want Tesla to live up to the terms of their warranty.

This is exactly why I think I might just go for the $1500 upgrade. Insulting? Absolutely. But what is even worse is having friends and family sit in your 6-figure car and when they ask you to play a song on Spotify it takes you a solid 90-120 seconds just to get there. Not to mention voice commands that just don't work.

If they have to fix the issue with a recall they will take the least expensive option to resolve only the safety issues the NHTSA lists. In our case the eMMC will do just that. I can't imagine this chip costs them too much to make overseas.

I'm going to wait until there's some resolution of the recall situation and see what options Tesla offers at that point. They're clearly still negotiating with NHTSA over this. I had the AP3 upgrade a couple of months ago but decided against paying for MCU2. My MCU is still working adequately(except for voice commands).

Reactions: aerodyne
Heard some speculation that Tesla is having issues sourcing the parts for the daughterboard because they are from 2011 and no longer manufactured. Replacing the daughterboard is cheaper and easier than just the emmc. This explains the reserving boards for black screens and fighting to get it replaced. Up until now they have just been using a surplus of components/refurbished. But that supply has widdled down. Explains why they are now offering $1500 MCU upgrade. They can't handle a recall if 100k plus vehicles, just don't have the supply chain for it. IMO there is a small chance for those that wait the MCU upgrade will just be free bc of no.remaining.options. I said small chance bc Tesla could do what 3rd party people have been doing and replace just the emmc.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm going to wait until there's some resolution of the recall situation and see what options Tesla offers at that point. They're clearly still negotiating with NHTSA over this. I had the AP3 upgrade a couple of months ago but decided against paying for MCU2. My MCU is still working adequately(except for voice commands).
Yeah, I think that's the best approach before jumping in. There is a risk they might raise the price later, but for people that didn't really want the MCU2 features anyways, waiting is definitely the best approach.

Reactions: aerodyne
Heard some speculation that Tesla is having issues sourcing the parts for the daughterboard because they are from 2011 and no longer manufactured. Replacing the daughterboard is cheaper and easier than just the emmc. This explains the reserving boards for black screens and fighting to get it replaced. Up until now they have just been using a surplus of components/refurbished. But that supply has widdled down. Explains why they are now offering $1500 MCU upgrade. They can't handle a recall if 100k plus vehicles, just don't have the supply chain for it. IMO there is a small chance for those that wait the MCU upgrade will just be free bc of no.remaining.options. I said small chance bc Tesla could do what 3rd party people have been doing and replace just the emmc.
That's what I'm guessing too. They don't have the spare boards to replace it for everyone, so they need to get some more "supply" from those doing MCU2 upgrades.

It's not practical to wait to get the defective boards before replacing the eMMC, as even the current wait times are not acceptable to most people. They need to build up some stock of spare boards (and also account for cases where there are other issues with the board, not just the eMMC).