Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting to see Tesla's response. They are really fighting this hard at the expense if poor PR and wasted time and resources

How do you know they are fighting it? They haven't responded yet, so until they do you don't know if they are going to do the recall as they were asked to or they are going to fight it.

Did anyone else notice this quote from that article...

“...Auto Reliability Surveys: A 2018 Model S owner from New Jersey wrote: "Driving along and the entire display and dashboard goes black. Cannot monitor speed or anything else, but the car continues to operate.””

My experience is the opposite, that the one and only benefit of MCU1 is that when the center display (MCU) fails that the dash display (ICU) does not.

I have a March 2018 S with factory installed MCU2. There was a software bug in a subsequent release that caused random reboots. It happened to me twice. The bug was corrected in a following release and it has not happened to me since.

The car's connectivity feature was advertised. The owners shouldn't be responsible to make it work. Tesla is.

3G connectivity was advertised, and worked throughout warranty.
Are you saying a cell phone from 2003 should still work on cell networks, and it's Samsung's responsibility to make it work even though the warranty ended a decade ago?

If you don't cut a line with the warranty, then you can say that anything that ever stops working at any point with a product is always the OEM's fault.

Doesn't 3G still work as well? It's just not as fast as LTE?

Yes, that was Tesla’s answer as well - each of the many times we have reached out to them - this is not a good, permanent or safe solution. I can’t imagine trying to explain this to each of the people that may need to drive our daughter in our vehicle.

I have a Jan 2017 with 56k miles and keep my NAV history clean when I think of it like once every few months.

Other than the browser, everything else including voice commands and backup camera so far have worked for my MCU1 just fine. It’s a “little” laggy but seemed better than the new ETron that I sat in a little while ago.

I am going to upgrade to MCU2 this spring but only because I have FSD (that I purchased all of AP for 5k during the fire sale) and HW2.0 to take advantage of the side cameras when backing out.

Last edited:
Yes, that was Tesla’s answer as well - each of the many times we have reached out to them - this is not a good, permanent or safe solution. I can’t imagine trying to explain this to each of the people that may need to drive our daughter in our vehicle.
Only needs to be done at some long interval. I have 90000 miles and only did this once. Wasn't having any problem but just did it after reading all of the whinging here. The new eMMC board should obviate the need to do it ever.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Are you saying a cell phone from 2003 should still work on cell networks, and it's Samsung's responsibility to make it work even though the warranty ended a decade ago?

If you don't cut a line with the warranty, then you can say that anything that ever stops working at any point with a product is always the OEM's fault.

I still have 3G. Works great. Never felt the need for 4G.

How do you know they are fighting it? They haven't responded yet, so until they do you don't know if they are going to do the recall as they were asked to or they are going to fight it.

Pretty obvious they are. Waiting until the last minute to respond. Rejecting owners despite knowing about the issue for 2 years. Making owners jump through hoops to get the "extended" warranty EMMC repair.

Pretty obvious they are. Waiting until the last minute to respond. Rejecting owners despite knowing about the issue for 2 years. Making owners jump through hoops to get the "extended" warranty EMMC repair.

To be fair, they did release a software update that does tell you when to go get service back in DEC. For me once I showed them the notification there were no hoops to jump through for eMMC replacement.

There is a big difference between a cell phone and a car. A cell phone is assumed by everyone to be a discardable, throw away device after a very short (ie less than 10 year life span).

Cars on the other hand were never assumed to be thrown away. Sure some cars will wear out and become cost prohibitive to repair so they are essentially discarded, but this is not assumed. And many cars are on the road way past 20 years. In fact we still have a 20 year old Acura that Acura still sells parts for, actively services and even sent out a software update to the navigation system in the last two years. And if you really want to push it we have a car in our family that is almost 70 years old, still works fine and we can repair it or replace almost every consumable part.

In fact we still have a 20 year old Acura that Acura still sells parts for, actively services and even sent out a software update to the navigation system in the last two years.

Key: Sells parts for. Tesla is selling parts here. The question is why they are charging identically for them for cars that are in warranty. It's awesome that Tesla is supporting old cars, and nobody expects that to be free. But I do expect my 2018 car to still be working in 2021 without having to pay Tesla more.

Key: Sells parts for. Tesla is selling parts here. The question is why they are charging identically for them for cars that are in warranty. It's awesome that Tesla is supporting old cars, and nobody expects that to be free. But I do expect my 2018 car to still be working in 2021 without having to pay Tesla more.

A key difference here is that parts and service are a huge profit center for dealerships.

The parts aren't made by acura, they're made by another company (Delco / Bosch / Denso / etc) according to the specifications from the OEM; they make the same part and sell it directly as well as sell the part in an acura box and sell it to/through dealerships.

Similarly, the dealerships make big money off of servicing their older fleet of cars. I can't remember exactly where it was but I remember an interview with Musk where he referred to this legacy income stream of supporting old cars as a huge moat protecting legacy auto sales from a newcomer -- who would have to generate a decade of new cars before ever being able to make a recurring profit off of selling parts / service from the older cars.

For tesla, as of now, the service centers are a cost center (probably burning huge amounts of money) while for all other incumbent auto makers the dealerships are an indirect asset; they can use them to hide mistakes (hey if you want the C8 Corvette you need to buy a bunch of malibus; we'll make it up to you in the next quarter).

Finally, I suspect tesla simply hasn't gone through the pain of a vicious recall to the point where they're gunshy about being conservative in their supply chain. Every part you make is a potential liability; they understand this with batteries because they promise to support them for 8 years, but they're probably starting to realize they've got these safety liabilities that extend even past that.

But, hey, they're a smart bunch and have enough money in the kitty to whip up a solution to this. It's just going to take them some time. But now at least they've got incentive to actually fix it. Probably they'll also fix the wonky batteries they've made -- hopefully with a LiFePO4 pack...

Finally, I suspect tesla simply hasn't gone through the pain of a vicious recall to the point where they're gunshy about being conservative in their supply chain. Every part you make is a potential liability; they understand this with batteries because they promise to support them for 8 years, but they're probably starting to realize they've got these safety liabilities that extend even past that.

Tesla recalled 123K cars in 2018. A much larger percentage of cars at the time.

hopefully with a LiFePO4 pack...

You want a way less energy dense pack in your car? Basically nobody uses those in an EV. Why would you want a LiFePO4 pack?

There is a big difference between a cell phone and a car. A cell phone is assumed by everyone to be a discardable, throw away device after a very short (ie less than 10 year life span).

Cars on the other hand were never assumed to be thrown away. Sure some cars will wear out and become cost prohibitive to repair so they are essentially discarded, but this is not assumed. And many cars are on the road way past 20 years. In fact we still have a 20 year old Acura that Acura still sells parts for, actively services and even sent out a software update to the navigation system in the last two years. And if you really want to push it we have a car in our family that is almost 70 years old, still works fine and we can repair it or replace almost every consumable part.
That's the problem with every other car. Their media and Nav systems are obsolete after a few years. At least Tesla has software updates and the option for MCU update.

• Funny
This is such a vapid response. What he’s describing is actually called customer service. Retailers and companies honor price matches in situations like this ROUTINELY, especially any company that has an iota of customer appreciation.
All of which is voluntary, and should an organization chose not to do such is not even close to "ripping somebody off" as s the claim.

Reactions: ucmndd