Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My name is David and I have a problem. It’s been 1 day since I got ripped off by Tesla.

I paid $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade on Wednesday. Was refused a price adjustment today.
I dont agree with what Tesla has done to you. But on the flip side, what makes you think you're entitled to a refund (not being a dick, just want to know your thoughts on it)? FYI I would also be pissed off, but what can you do? Shitty situation.

Tesla has been like this forever with pricing. They raise and lower them all the time. FSD upgrade was $2K, then $1K, then $5K, then $2K, then $3K, now $5K again.... Even though it literally hadn't released at all during those times. They've never given refunds either direction. Don't even get started on what the price was on a new car vs an existing car even though it's the same software.

Their car and option prices are no different.

My name is David and I have a problem. It’s been 1 day since I got ripped off by Tesla.

I paid $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade on Wednesday. Was refused a price adjustment today.

Awe man that sucks. They really ought to refund anyone who already paid $2500 already. At the same time, I do get that they need to draw a line somewhere.

Tesla really needs to conserve man hours in the shop dealing with this issue. I’ve had my vehicle take almost a week of shop time in sum total. How many other calls and service man hours do they spend ripping out the screen (arduous process if you have watched a mobile tech).

The sum total of hours saved would probably help with overall throughput through service centers and hopefully improve the experience for all. And at this point that definitely needs to be their main focus.

Tesla has been like this forever with pricing. They raise and lower them all the time. FSD upgrade was $2K, then $1K, then $5K, then $2K, then $3K, now $5K again.... Even though it literally hadn't released at all during those times. They've never given refunds either direction. Don't even get started on what the price was on a new car vs an existing car even though it's the same software.

Their car and option prices are no different.

Yeah for sure, 6 months after buying my 3 AWD LR, without basic AP, I could have bought a performance 3 with basic AP for cheaper. I was pissed for a bit but I’ve learned to accept these fluctuations....

I'm going to wait until there's some resolution of the recall situation and see what options Tesla offers at that point. They're clearly still negotiating with NHTSA over this. I had the AP3 upgrade a couple of months ago but decided against paying for MCU2. My MCU is still working adequately(except for voice commands).
I just caved in and scheduled the upgrade. I scheduled it in March though. We should have a resolution to the recall by then. Worst case I am in the queue for an upgrade. Best case I get a better price on the upgrade or get other compensation. I always have the option to cancel before then.

Reactions: AndrewTX

...I don't know if this will work but it's worth a shot. Ask for a refund. Say you are unsatisfied with the product and would like to get your original MCU back.
At which point you can reason with them and say you will keep this one for the $1000 difference OR let them swap it back in and schedule another upgrade apt.

I'm going to wait until there's some resolution of the recall situation and see what options Tesla offers at that point. They're clearly still negotiating with NHTSA over this. I had the AP3 upgrade a couple of months ago but decided against paying for MCU2. My MCU is still working adequately(except for voice commands).

The timing of the MCU2 price reduction is no coincidence... they have to formally respond to the NHTSA MCU1 recall request next week. :cool:

INRM-EA20003-11321.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

"Tesla’s written response to this letter referencing the identification codes in the upper right-hand corner on page 1 of this letter, must be submitted to this office no later than January 27, 2021."

Last edited:
...I don't know if this will work but it's worth a shot. Ask for a refund. Say you are unsatisfied with the product and would like to get your original MCU back.
At which point you can reason with them and say you will keep this one for the $1000 difference OR let them swap it back in and schedule another upgrade apt.

Too bad their is no way to escalate like the good old days.... and back when they used to have chocolate chip cookies.

Ripped off? Did they not do the work and upgrade you agreed to pay for? If that’s the case, contact your local police.

Otherwise, you got exactly what you paid for and are just displaying an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

I dont agree with what Tesla has done to you. But on the flip side, what makes you think you're entitled to a refund (not being a dick, just want to know your thoughts on it)? FYI I would also be pissed off, but what can you do? Shitty situation.

the website says you can return upgrades within a few days. I told the service center I wanted to return it and buy it again at the new price and they refused. I believe my request was within written policy. Unusual - yes.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Ripped off? Did they not do the work and upgrade you agreed to pay for? If that’s the case, contact your local police.

Otherwise, you got exactly what you paid for and are just displaying an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

the website says you can return upgrades within a few days. I told the service center I wanted to return it and buy it again at the new price and they refused. I believe my request was within written policy. Unusual - yes.

It's absolutely normal for a company to price match themselves when you are within a return period.

Within a return period, I agree.

At least with Amazon, this is not the case. I just initiate a return and re-buy the item, then immediately ship back the new item as the 'returned' item when it arrives.

Obviously with Tesla installs, you are totally at their mercy, but can try just doing the return, and then later doing the upgrade separately. Knowing Tesla, they may not even allow you the return though, they have been super tight on the purse strings to the point of being jerks for a while now.

At least with Amazon, this is not the case. I just initiate a return and re-buy the item, then immediately ship back the new item as the 'returned' item when it arrives.

Obviously with Tesla installs, you are totally at their mercy, but can try just doing the return, and then later doing the upgrade separately. Knowing Tesla, they may not even allow you the return though, they have been super tight on the purse strings to the point of being jerks for a while now.

You are of course right, and I find Amazon's process ridiculous. Within a return period, simplifying the process and the waste should be the goal.

In this Tesla case though, I can't imagine there's a return period on the upgrade. It's like going to the Chevy dealer and asking to return a new head gasket.

You are of course right, and I find Amazon's process ridiculous. Within a return period, simplifying the process and the waste should be the goal.

In this Tesla case though, I can't imagine there's a return period on the upgrade. It's like going to the Chevy dealer and asking to return a new head gasket.

Quoting what I read... Upgrades

FAQ Section:

"Are upgrade purchases refundable?
Yes. For upgrades purchased from the Tesla app, you can request a refund from the Tesla app within 48 hours of purchase. All refund conditions are available in your Tesla app. If an upgrade was purchased in a Service Center, contact your local Service Center.

You cannot receive a refund for subscriptions including Premium Connectivity. Learn more about cancelling your Premium Connectivity subscription."

• Informative

FAQ Section:

Yes. For upgrades purchased from the Tesla app, you can request a refund from the Tesla app within 48 hours of purchase. All refund conditions are available in your Tesla app. If an upgrade was purchased in a Service Center, contact your local Service Center.

You cannot receive a refund for subscriptions including Premium Connectivity. Learn more about cancelling your Premium Connectivity subscription."
That page is for "Over-the-air upgrades", not about upgrades that are physical parts (like the MCU2). Says right on the page: "Depending on your configuration, different upgrades will be available for your car and will automatically appear in your Tesla Account for purchase. These upgrades do not require a service visit and can simply be purchased with a payment method on file."

Obviously yours required a service visit and is not the same thing. Seemed to have been made in response to people "butt-dialing" software updates and was intended for that purpose (not buyer's remorse after a price drop).

Tesla owner says he butt-dialed a $4,280 Autopilot upgrade — and is still waiting on a refund

Some stores have price match/price drop protection policies, but Tesla doesn't appear to have that. To be clear, I would also be pissed if I was in your shoes, but legally I don't think Tesla owes you anything.

From the article above however, the people that had the most success getting Tesla to address them was to make a big stink on social media and tweeting Elon Musk. Some also did a chargeback on their credit card (some credit cards may have price drop policies, you can check your credit card terms).

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus

FAQ Section:

That's for software over-the-air upgrades. Has nothing to do with the hardware being installed - that's something completely different.

Reactions: brkaus

This is such a vapid response. What he’s describing is actually called customer service. Retailers and companies honor price matches in situations like this ROUTINELY, especially any company that has an iota of customer appreciation.