Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
**“It is economically, if not technologically, infeasible to expect that such components can or should be designed to last the vehicle’s entire useful life,” Tesla said in the letter.**

I wonder if all the people buying Teslas today know that with the MCU2's and MCU3's they are buying it is "infeasible" to make the last the entire useful life of the vehicle- because the tech has not changed. Also, for those people "upgrading" to MCU2 just be aware it won't last either.

Again, so much for Teslas having lower cost of ownership- I wonder what other parts they didn't tell us were infeasible to make last the life of the car.

I wonder if all the people buying Teslas today know that with the MCU2's and MCU3's they are buying it is "infeasible" to make the last the entire useful life of the vehicle- because the tech has not changed. Also, for those people "upgrading" to MCU2 just be aware it won't last either.

Again, so much for Teslas having lower cost of ownership- I wonder what other parts they didn't tell us were infeasible to make last the life of the car.
MCU1 would been chugging along just fine on the V8 UI on AP1 cars. The eMMC would still wear out, however.
Browser became next to useless and everything got bogged down with V9's always-on-map-background setup.

I got this as well.

As I paid for the tools and parts to do this myself, I'll purse the reimbursement and then consider applying that to MCU2 upgrade...
Good luck. I can’t imagine them reimbursing anyone that didn’t have the work done by Tesla. (Being Tesla and all). I would expect them to tell you to bring the car in for the swap because they are still responsible for the MCU until you have them do the work or have them do the upgrade.

Good luck. I can’t imagine them reimbursing anyone that didn’t have the work done by Tesla. (Being Tesla and all). I would expect them to tell you to bring the car in for the swap because they are still responsible for the MCU until you have them do the work or have them do the upgrade.

Thanks, I'll take all the well wishes I can get ;)

That having been said, their email to me gave no such condition:

"If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021"

I'll see what the eligibility terms are come March I guess...

Yesterday I received an email about the new MCU recall stating that they will be upgrading my 8gm eMMC to an enhanced 64gm eMMC. I currently have an appointment set to do the Infortainment Upgrade, but I am wondering if I should cancel until the recall can be scheduled and installed.

Also, does this recall mitigate the need for the Infotainment Upgrade? It seems there is some overlap there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Can someone provide the source of the $250 discount on MCU2?

I hear chatter about it but it doesn't appear confirmed. Is this just someones desire that somehow spread into an expectation? Or is this a real thing?

I just spoke with my local service rep here in Jacksonville, FL and he said no further discounts off the the MCU upgrade. I recently had my screen replaced under warranty and have received notice that my chip is being recalled. He said the MCU used to be able to be ordered seperately from the screen but now includes it. I have a 2016 p90d.

Reactions: studioloft
The eMMC recall/upgrade would be for people with MCU1 who do not intend on upgrading to MCU2. You will not get all of the features and speed of the MCU2 if you just do the eMMC update. You would just avoid all of the issues with the MCU1/eMMC hangs, freezes, lockups, etc. Go with the Infotainment Upgrade, which I hear is now only $1,500 and you'll be much happier with the new features and speed.

Reactions: scottf200
Yesterday I received an email about the new MCU recall stating that they will be upgrading my 8gm eMMC to an enhanced 64gm eMMC. I currently have an appointment set to do the Infortainment Upgrade, but I am wondering if I should cancel until the recall can be scheduled and installed.

Also, does this recall mitigate the need for the Infotainment Upgrade? It seems there is some overlap there. Any help is greatly appreciated.
100% do the and skip the recall memory only upgrade. I did this a few months back and it was very well worth it even at the $2500 that I paid back then.

I haven't seen this exact question in thread:

I have a 2013 Model S with an 8 GB eMMC that is out of warranty next month (3/21). My system is displaying trouble signs (slow to boot up, some functions periodically not working, Bluetooth drops frequently, had to replace a "corrupted" Nav SD card last year) but is still "functional" according to Tesla's guidelines.

Will Tesla still replace my unit under the recall terms after the warranty expires, even if I don't qualify for the "emergency" replacement?

I have a 2013 Model S with an 8 GB eMMC that is out of warranty next month (3/21). My system is displaying trouble signs (slow to boot up, some functions periodically not working, Bluetooth drops frequently, had to replace a "corrupted" Nav SD card last year) but is still "functional" according to Tesla's guidelines.

Will Tesla still replace my unit under the recall terms after the warranty expires, even if I don't qualify for the "emergency" replacement?
I would expect so, it's a recall after all, not a warranty item.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec

Yes, the recall should apply to all vehicles that haven't had the eMMC replaced.