Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare Tesla experience- all from a flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update- they are getting specific wheel lock key getting delivered tonight. I asked them to take off the locks and change them to regular lug nuts and they want to charge me for the lug nuts. Tesla has really soured me on them and its only been a week.
That's good news, at least. I think it was likely an honest mistake regarding the wheel locks, but either way, what a faff!

Reactions: Propofoln
Dealing with flats is a lot more trouble on a Tesla than on typical older cars, that's for sure. But it's not just a Tesla thing. True of a lot of newer cars. They don't come with spares or jacks anymore. There are few viable jack points, unlike older cars. It's pretty low to the ground, so if using a floor jack, you need one of those low profile ones, and it still might not be low enough for a flat. And it's not as easy to get a tow with a Tesla, as they always want to use a flat bed hauler.

I've dealt with several flats so far on my Tesla. Get them a lot here in Missouri, there's tire puncturing crap everywhere.

For my Tesla, I've bought a low profile floor jack, Jack Point jack stands to deal with the problem of not having any good place to position jack stands after jacking it up and having a jack shape that fits the jack point, and when you have a flat, the car is even lower to the ground, so when I have a flat I have to use a 2x6 assist, drive the wheel up onto the 2x6 to give enough clearance for the low profile jack to fit underneath. And I still don't have a solution to change a flat in place, so I still have to have it towed to my house on a flat bed to take the wheel off, then leave it on stands until I get the wheel back with the new tire.

I'd kind of like to get an extra wheel and tire that I can store at my house. Then, as long as I get a flat somewhere with at least a little room to work, I could drive the spare and my jack equipment out to the car using another car, and then I wouldn't have to deal with the tow anymore. But I just haven't spent the time and didn't want to spend the money to get an extra wheel and tire. Might do it someday though.

Update- they are getting specific wheel lock key getting delivered tonight. I asked them to take off the locks and change them to regular lug nuts and they want to charge me for the lug nuts. Tesla has really soured me on them and its only been a week.

Just ask them for the key (for free) that was missing during delivery and you can change the nuts later if you really want.

Don’t forget to make sure car is washed and detailed… it’s Tesla’s fault after all 🙄
Ha! Good luck with that! They washed my M3LR they day before I picked it up, but had so much pollen when I showed up that I wasn't sure if it was the right color. I asked for a quick wash and the answer was "We don't have time for that". The manager said he would get to it, but I left after 20 mins and washed it myself

Reactions: Leeclanual
This isn’t as much of a Tesla issue as it is an issue of all the service places you have been to. As others have stated you just bang a socket onto those and remove them. No such thing as a master key. A socket just slightly larger than the outer diameter and a hammer is the master key. I would have had your wheels off in a few minutes.

Not sure about the other shops but Tesla seems to have some pretty low quality mechanics atleast near me. The road service guy that came to my house told me he had never done a car repair until 2 years ago and all he has learned is from only YouTube. Needless to say I wound up fixing my own car with the parts he brought.

Also Tesla service gave me a couple weeks of arguing to replaced 2 door seals on a 2021 plaid with 10k miles on it. I don’t understand their reasoning. I have worked as a tech in a few service departments. Bumper to bumper warranty covers all non wear items. They tried to say the door seal is a wear item. Tesla is most certainly a tech company and not a car company. Even in 2 months of ownership I have had more issues with the people and getting ahold of them than any other place.

Tesla found the key and overnighted it in short order, even though none of this is their responsibility. Do you appreciate the effort ? Hell no.

You have a cockeyed view of the world
Don't be ridiculous, he bought the vehicle from Tesla, and it was Tesla that failed to provide the wheel lock key on delivery. How could that possibly be anyone else's responsibility?

I managed to lose the key on my 2015 after 6 years with no problems with the tires. Went to replace them and couldn't find the wheel lock key. Went to Autozone and bought a wheel lock removal tool for maybe $10 bucks. Knocked the locks off and bought a new set of locks. I'm more careful with the key now.

Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm a fellow Gas Passer. I just traded in my 2021 Model S Plaid last Tuesday because I had it with the slow and poor service experience from Tesla. I did not have faith that they could make timely repairs on my car. Uber credits don't work when you are on call and need to get into the hospital in the middle of the night. On a positive note, I'm enjoying my new 2023 BMW X5 45e. Not nearly as fast, but it is much more quiet, drives smoother, and has a much more reliable dealer network in my experience. I took a decent sized sized hit on the trade in, but it bought me peace of mind.