Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No hatch-back on model 3 - Anyone else disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would far rather have the extra headroom for back passengers than extra charge which I almost never use.

Besides, I like having more options, which means a larger potential market for EVs. The Bolt and 2nd gen Leaf (most likely) will be hatchbacks. It will be nice to have an option for those that prefer a sedan.

I'm just going to keep my F250 & park it......
Same here. As much as I would have preferred a liftback a la Model S, It's not a deal breaker for me. I've long given up the fantasy of having a single one-size-fits-all vehicle. I'm keeping the pickup; the 3 will be the daily driver for me, with the occasional second front seat passenger and dogs in the back.

Reactions: doublejj
I'm a little disappointed but I'll likely replace my Model S with a new Model S so Tesla's going to make more money out of the deal. My need to a hatch/lift gate is so I have a place to put the dogs.

Here's hoping the rumors about a Model S refresh coming soon are true, I really like the LED headlights on my wife's Model X.

I can't think of a single advantage to a sedan, from a usage viewpoint
I can:
- more rigid chassis resulting in better road-feel and holding
- lower weight resulting in better road-feel and holding, better efficiency
- lower noise resulting in better driving experience
- lower possibility of water ingress
- a bit lower price

Hatch is not a god-send, it is yet another trade-off.

Yes. I was hoping for a hatchback. I can't think of a single advantage to a sedan, from a usage viewpoint (there are of course design issues, which is why we are getting a sedan).

Thank you kindly.
I would rather have good vision out the back while driving than a hatchback. I sat in the new Volt that has a hatchback and the vision out that back was not good. If Tesla can overcome the weight problem of the large piece of glass in the back and not compromise the vision out the back while driving, I would prefer a hatchback.

Reactions: MP3Mike
- more rigid chassis resulting in better road-feel and holding
- lower weight resulting in better road-feel and holding, better efficiency
- lower noise resulting in better driving experience
- lower possibility of water ingress
- a bit lower price

Hatch is not a god-send, it is yet another trade-off.

I'm glad they didn't screw up the handling and driving experience of the Model S by including a hatch. :wink:

• Funny
Reactions: darthy001
I drive a Honda Fit, which is 100% utility and 0% pretty much every thing else (style, fun, sporty, noise). I've really made use of my cargo space and I love how much stuff I'm able to haul. That said, I'm ready to actually enjoy my driving for a change. If the Y is a CUV variant of the 3 and available at the same time, that's where my wife's reservation will end up going.

I am disappointed, but does not deter me away from purchasing a Model 3. Elon actually had an answer why Model 3 is not designed as a hatchback:

View attachment 171440

This photo of the road bike in the hatch is exactly me. I put my road bike in my prius hatch all the time. Its so awesome not to have to take a wheel off to make it fit. I thus would have preferred the hatch as well.

I don't often have passengers so I don't care for the extra headroom of the occupants. Not a deal breaker for me, I'll still be converting my 3 reservation to an order regardless of the tweak Mr. Musk does.

Good news...
There will be a Gen III "Sedan AND Crossover."

Attachments

• GenIII.jpg
    GenIII.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 70
Personally, I do NOT want a hatch. I can see how the lift back on the S can be useful after seeing it in store on reservation day but I don't need it. I don't camp, I don't haul around large appliances, I don't have dogs. We have a BMW 3 series with a normal trunk and it's actually huge and holds a ton of stuff. Even though the opening isn't as big as a hatch would be, it's still useful. My husband carts around an amp and guitars and a pedalboard without issue.

Most of the time, if we need to haul around anything large it would be too large even for a hatch so we borrow a truck. There's nothing that I can think of that we regularly encounter that would not fit in a trunk but would fit in a hatch.

Someone on another thread asked, "Don't you ever make large purchases?" I bought a table saw one time but that fit just fine. I bought a mattress and had it delivered. Same with washer and dryer. I wouldn't have fit those in a hatch (and couldn't have carried them in by myself anyway...).

I think that the average American commuter just doesn't NEED a hatch. It makes me think of my friends who get a giant SUV when they have one child because they "NEED" the extra space, but then I see people who have regular sedans and kids because they can't afford to buy a new vehicle and they make it work and it isn't much of an issue. Can you make life work without a hatch? Probably. If there's no way, and I get that some people have unique circumstances that would make it so, then a small sedan is probably not the type of car you need.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I've had several hatch vehicles, that's why I bought a truck. Hatchback cars are a compromise. They cannot decide if they are a van or a car. That's why uhaul is so successful in America, we don't like to compromise. I want a sedan & I will rent or drive my truck on the rare occasion I need to haul something.

The average American commuter doesn't NEED a car.

Thank you kindly.

Maybe in a big city. I live in a small city and the joke of public transportation is only good for a few miles, people who live in surrounding areas MUST drive or they aren't getting food. I lived in a decent-sized city for a while and even their bus system was too limited and too much time and hassle for it to be feasible for daily needs.