Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No hatch-back on model 3 - Anyone else disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I'm disappointed the Model 3 design didn't incorporate a hatchback. Hatchbacks are just so wonderfully practical for those of us who like to be able to easily (and frequently) load up with bikes, camping gear, skis, whatever – and without compromise to anything. Not to performance, not to headroom, not to great looks. Yes, there are plenty of cars that compromise on any or all of these... heck the Model S compromises on headroom (I'm 6'4") but that doesn't mean that there has to be compromise.

Of course, "great looks" is very subjective and I realize that there are a lot of folks (particularly in the U.S.) who apparently prefer the aesthetics of a trunk on a sedan, but to me and many others the trunk is just a wasted opportunity in design. Given the Model S, many of us were expecting Tesla to go with a hatchback design again and in fact, watching the reveal, I was pleased and unsurprised to see that the Model 3 appeared to be a hatchback. I was quite surprised soon after when it became apparent that, despite the hatchback looks, it's actually not a hatchback.

So, yes, disappointed. We'll see what happens in terms of tweaks before the production version (just as they changed the looks of the Model S from prototype to production), but it does sound like Elon intends to stay with the trunk design.

If not offering another hatchback, maybe they'll do like many European manufacturers do and offer a wagon variation... like this lovely design:

tesla-model-3-sportwagon-prototype-e1459944194799.jpg

(from X-Tomi Design: Tesla Model 3 Sportwagon Prototype)

Here's more thoughts on this subject:

Who prefers a Model 3 station wagon?

This is the Tesla Model 3's Biggest Design Fail
Swedish Market Economy: Tesla Model 3 abandoned door hatchback – a design flaw? – Auto Motor & Sport

Last edited:
This sort of response interests me. I've made bullet items out of your points.

• Personally, I do NOT want a hatch.
  • ...I don't need it.
  • I don't camp, I don't haul around large appliances, I don't have dogs.
  • We have a BMW 3 series with a normal trunk ... it's still useful.
  • There's nothing that I can think of that we regularly encounter that would not fit in a trunk but would fit in a hatch.
You emphatically say that you do not want a hatch. But you don't say why. You mention that you don't haul big things. You mention that you have a car with a trunk that isl useful. You can't think of why you need a hatch, but what about not needing one really, really inspires you to not want one?

Nobody needs a car that looks good either. But why not have it, if all else is the same? Does anybody get harmed with a hatch over a trunk?

How does not needing a hatch equate with NOT WANTING A HATCH? It isn't like it changes the look of the car. Let's pretend that everything was the same (note here that nobody looking at the Model S realizes that it is a hatchback) - so same looks, same cost, same handling. What is it about a hatch that so repulses you? From what you wrote here, it sounds like you desperately want to avoid the car having any extra utility.

And finally:
  • I think that the average American commuter just doesn't NEED a hatch.
  • If you need a hatch, then a small sedan is probably not the type of car you need.
What does the average American commuter have to do with this? Especially when you consider how many American commuters drive solo in SUVs to the office. And... a small sedan is EXACTLY what I need... if it has a hatch. And all of my small sedans have had hatches. Of course they aren't called sedans like the Model S is for some reason.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I am not disappointed my Model 3 will be a sedan with a regular trunk. Have always liked sedans and finally got back into one last year after driving pickup trucks for many years. All those years with trucks and the beds were used only on rare occasions. I now use my trunk daily, and with Model 3 I get a bonus trunk up front!

I actually almost placed a reservation for a Model 3 before I realized that it isn't a hatchback like the Model S. I have a large dog and a regular sedan won't work for me.

I am a bit disappointed by this. Though maybe I will just end up buying a Model S before the Model 3 is available. Nevertheless, for the hell of it I photoshopped what the Model 3 could look like with the rear window split for a hatch. The frames for the rear glass pieces could be internal with the panes placed over them, and with black tinted glass covering the frames:
WiweTNW.jpg

I know people have stated that the Model Y is the car that we are looking for, but I'm not sure why it needs to be a whole separate model; it's not unusual for vehicles to have various shape variations available - e.g. Mazda6:

upload_2016-4-12_18-41-3.png

It would be nice if the Model 3 went down this path rather than having a whole new model purely for a different shape.

Reactions: dctrombly
Model Y is not just different shape, is a different vehicle concept.
Higher ground clearance, higher seating, higher rooftop, bigger trunk, hatch, more upright seating, some plastic around wheels and car corners, etc.
And yes, also lower efficiency.

CUV

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Model Y is not just different shape, is a different vehicle concept.
Higher ground clearance, higher seating, higher rooftop, bigger trunk, hatch, more upright seating, some plastic around wheels and car corners, etc.
And yes, also lower efficiency.

I don't like the handling of SUV either, I rather driving a car lower to the ground!

And the model Y will certainly be more expensive, something I cannot justify to buy since I live in California..

I actually almost placed a reservation for a Model 3 before I realized that it isn't a hatchback like the Model S. I have a large dog and a regular sedan won't work for me.

I am a bit disappointed by this. Though maybe I will just end up buying a Model S before the Model 3 is available. Nevertheless, for the hell of it I photoshopped what the Model 3 could look like with the rear window split for a hatch. The frames for the rear glass pieces could be internal with the panes placed over them, and with black tinted glass covering the frames:
WiweTNW.jpg
You should be able to transfer your reservation $ without a problem. If Tesla unveils the Model Y prior to the 3's production release, I would consider doing the transfer for a pair of Falcon wings...

The photoshop edit looks great! I wonder, though, if the horizontal pillar would cause obstruction to the rear view. Would you be able to move it higher up the roofline, say above the rear seat headrests?

I know people have stated that the Model Y is the car that we are looking for, but I'm not sure why it needs to be a whole separate model; it's not unusual for vehicles to have various shape variations available - e.g. Mazda6:
It would be nice if the Model 3 went down this path rather than having a whole new model purely for a different shape.

The reasoning is very simple - sales number.
You want the car to sell, and has the largest number of potential customers.

Based on 2104 US sales number, sedan has 35% market share, SUV/CUV 36%.
That's the two largest segments - and Model 3 and Model Y together can go for the 71% market. If you were the CEO, you would make the same decision.

Those bigger manufacturers would go after smaller market segments next such as hatchback (5%), Coupe (3%), Station wagon (1.2%), convertible (1%). But for Tesla with limited resources and production capacity, dedicate all their resources for the 71% market is a better investment than going after the 5% hatchback market.

Of course, this is unique to US. In Europe, hatch back and wagon rule. But Europe accounts for only 17% of Tesla sales. So having a hatch back version would not be a priority as SUV/CUV also sell very well in Europe too.

But for Tesla with limited resources and production capacity, dedicate all their resources for the 71% market is a better investment than going after the 5% hatchback market.

That explains it - The ratio is a lot different here in Australia as well (closer to Europe).

But by the same token, EVs have a small percentage of the market in the USA too, doesn't stop Tesla from breaking the mould :) Do Americans just not need storage space? Or is it chicken-and-egg - not many are sold because not many are available? (Manufacturers prefer selling SUVs?)

I don't like the handling of SUV either, I rather driving a car lower to the ground!

And the model Y will certainly be more expensive, something I cannot justify to buy since I live in California..

Read some of the reviews of Model X, and owner experiences here at TMC. The Model X, despite being a CUV/SUV, does not sacrifice much if anything in the way of handling, vs. Model S. The skateboard battery pack keeps the center of gravity low.

But by the same token, EVs have a small percentage of the market in the USA too, doesn't stop Tesla from breaking the mould :) Do Americans just not need storage space? Or is it chicken-and-egg - not many are sold because not many are available? (Manufacturers prefer selling SUVs?)

It's hard to explain Americans' aversion to hatch back and wagon.
For example, in Europe, VW Golf outsells its sedan sister Jetta 50:1 (500,000 : 10,000) in 2015.
In US, Jetta outsells Golf 2:1 (131,000 : 6,700) in 2015 despite Jetta is using a previous aging platform while Golf is using the latest modern platform resulting in being larger, better handling and almost better in every aspect.
Go figure.

It's hard to explain Americans' aversion to hatch back and wagon.
For example, in Europe, VW Golf outsells its sedan sister Jetta 50:1 (500,000 : 10,000) in 2015.
In US, Jetta outsells Golf 2:1 (131,000 : 6,700) in 2015 despite Jetta is using a previous aging platform while Golf is using the latest modern platform resulting in being larger, better handling and almost better in every aspect.
Go figure.
We Americans like big butts. Europeans like no butts.:D

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
You should be able to transfer your reservation $ without a problem. If Tesla unveils the Model Y prior to the 3's production release, I would consider doing the transfer for a pair of Falcon wings...

The photoshop edit looks great! I wonder, though, if the horizontal pillar would cause obstruction to the rear view. Would you be able to move it higher up the roofline, say above the rear seat headrests?

This kind of split window design has worked for the Toyota Prius and the Honda CRX before it. The only difference here is that two panes divide where the trunk opens. And of course the Model 3 will have a mandatory backup camera.

This kind of split window design has worked for the Toyota Prius and the Honda CRX before it. The only difference here is that two panes divide where the trunk opens. And of course the Model 3 will have a mandatory backup camera.
True but the hinge on the 3 puts it right smack in the center of the viewing area. Check out the side profile of the 3. (Well, maybe a bit lower than center.) Also, there must be some government regulations to follow.

Hopefully I'm wrong coz it would be useful to get that enlarged opening.

Last edited: