Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NO mechanical handle for rear doors. Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point is that the Model 3 was designed to be part of a self autonomous fleet and in cases where your Model 3 is doing duty as a Taxi you need complete reliable control over what can be locked or unlocked... even the glovebox needs this control.

This level of control would not be possible using antiquated mechanical systems.
Now that thought will soothe me when my child in the car wreck can`t unlock the door anymore and has to die in the flames.....

Joke aside I´m pretty sure that a dead-lock function unlocks all doors when the airbags open or sth like that. The possibility of trapping ppl inside the car in case of an accident is definitely unacceptable.

But you can still open it from the outside. Which you can't on the Tesla if the electronics fail or an accident tweaks the door enough.

If an accident tweaks the door enough you can't open it on any vehicle. And most cars lock the doors when driving, so if you get in an accident and the electronics fail you will not be able to open it from the outside as you claim.

Edit: looks like I got beaten to it.

Isn't the only question really this: Does having mechanical door latch release increase safety or not? Regardless, you should always have glass breakers in fact they should be pre-installed. That should have been required in vehicles 70 years ago but apparently having an actual goddam integrated cigarette lighter all those decades was more important.

There also needs to be a mini glass breaker mounted next to the touchscreen so when you find out everything including the steering is controlled thru it, you can smash it in rage.

Actually you can use the seatbelt in an emergency. Look up the technique on google. It’s good info to have.

No luck on me dropping my reservation. The kook-aid is far too tasty.

Edit: I tried to google it and surprisingly can’t find it. We were taught in drivers ed years ago. Put the T of the seatbelt against your palm and strike with the corner of the T near the edge of the window. Not idea, but better than nothing.

Last edited:
The point is that the Model 3 was designed to be part of a self autonomous fleet and in cases where your Model 3 is doing duty as a Taxi you need complete reliable control over what can be locked or unlocked... even the glovebox needs this control.

This level of control would not be possible using antiquated mechanical systems.

Except it's not universally accepted - at all - that this vehicle will actually be able to achieve that level of autonomy.

How do you unlock/lock your ICE car today without electricity? by using the 12V lead acid battery.

Many of you complain about the car battery being dead, but it's very likely that the door is powered through the 12V lead acid battery and/or the car battery.

The chance that your battery is dead and the 12V lead acid battery is also dead is 0.0001%, if you don't drive yourself off a cliff somewhere.

If you get into an accident and it killed both batteries. It will likely be a big one. The chance of that you are not injured (bone broken, passed out, etc.) and can get out of the car on your own power is also non-existent. You guys should stop worry about the little thing. You are more likely to die because of some other reasons than not having a mechanical latch on the back when you need to.

Also, think about the people in the back seat of those 2 doors cars. I never hear them complaining that it's too dangerous not to have a door for them to get out from the back in case of an accident.

As mentioned before, 2 door cars have front seats designed for rear passenger egress. 4 door cars do not.

You can do what you want as far as accepting risks for your passengers. I will be carrying inexpensive tools to reduce that risk the same way I carry a first aid/trauma kit.

As mentioned before, 2 door cars have front seats designed for rear passenger egress. 4 door cars do not.

Not necessarily. I've tried getting into and out of the rear seat of my '11 Challenger R/T a couple times, and that was more than enough. At 6' tall, it was not easy, even with the front seats fully forward. It technically has a rear seat, and anyone older than about 7 or 8 won't find it easy to get in and out of.

Reactions: AlanSqB
How do you unlock/lock your ICE car today without electricity? by using the 12V lead acid battery.

Many of you complain about the car battery being dead, but it's very likely that the door is powered through the 12V lead acid battery and/or the car battery.

The chance that your battery is dead and the 12V lead acid battery is also dead is 0.0001%, if you don't drive yourself off a cliff somewhere.

If you get into an accident and it killed both batteries. It will likely be a big one. The chance of that you are not injured (bone broken, passed out, etc.) and can get out of the car on your own power is also non-existent. You guys should stop worry about the little thing. You are more likely to die because of some other reasons than not having a mechanical latch on the back when you need to.

Also, think about the people in the back seat of those 2 doors cars. I never hear them complaining that it's too dangerous not to have a door for them to get out from the back in case of an accident.

Except there's already a case in China in which a Model X had that exact scenario happen. The car was involved in a crash (owner claims it was at 47 mph), the Model X electrical system was down and the rear passengers (who had only minor injuries) were not able to exit the vehicle (they did not know about the emergency mechanical release behind the speaker grills).

They exited the car by crawling to the front and a short time later the car caught on fire.

So, you pretty much don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: Beckler