Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Reservation required...Just order.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I see it, reservation order only matters for AWD now as it's mostly just AWD orders that are backed up, since there was already a queue of folks deferring their orders, and they just started building them.

For LR models, given how quickly some got their car after ordering at end of June, the queue must have been almost empty.

For P I'm guessing pending demand is just lower than AWD, and since they started building those before AWD it's been a shorter wait.

Easy flowchart.

First in, first out if the car currently exist and is unclaimed.

Made to order will prioritize on
1.) P
2.) AWD
3.) Cars that can arrive before the end of Q3
P, AWD and LR

Don’t really think Tesla is holding on to my P3 for the hell of it as I am a prior owner and just give it to someone off the street who orders tomorrow.
Prior owner? What happened to your X?

How will Tesla do it …..now that there are no reservations needed anymore?

We don't know for certain, but it seems that there are currently three lines, one for RWD, one for AWD and one for P.

Based on when you reserved, you move up the line. The people who ordered and were receiving almost immediately were only RWD and unless I've missed them, only after the second quarter ended when they suddenly had a glut of cars to deliver.

Now, both AWD and P orders seem to be starting to get filled, and it definitely seems to have something to do with reservation date first, followed by when the order was placed.

The way I see it, reservation order only matters for AWD now as it's mostly just AWD orders that are backed up, since there was already a queue of folks deferring their orders, and they just started building them.

For LR models, given how quickly some got their car after ordering at end of June, the queue must have been almost empty.

For P I'm guessing pending demand is just lower than AWD, and since they started building those before AWD it's been a shorter wait.

There is also the probability that Tesla will handle SR the same as they did AWD and P by giving reservation holders the first chance to configure and order and then opening it up to everyone else a week or two later.

Reactions: suwaneedad
What I don't get is it looks like Tesla wants another $2500 from me in addition to the $1K reservation.

Why?

Again- Tesla always requires some money when your actual order goes in. They did (and do) this on the S/X and have for years.

This isn't new.

If I ordered right now not using my reservation then isn't it just $2500?

Sure. But you're at the back of the line for the type of car, behind anyone who still has a reservation in the system ahead of you.

That's what the reservation got you (besides the actual $1000 going toward price of car).

If you don't care when you get it at all other than "before 2019" and you don't want SR, then the reservation didn't help much.

But for the tens of thousands who got RWD cars ahead of non-reservation holders it mattered- and for the tens of thousands getting AWD and P models in the next few months and wanting them sooner than later it matters.

And almost certainly for SR models next year it'll matter once again (though more in the sense of having more chance at the 3750 credit instead of the 1875 one)

• Love
Reactions: suwaneedad
We don't know for certain, but it seems that there are currently three lines, one for RWD, one for AWD and one for P.

I just edited my AWD order to white interior. I wonder if they build a bunch of P with white interior and can't sell them, would they start deliver them to the AWD with white interior customers? :p Just take off the spoiler and no one could tell the difference. :p

I just edited my AWD order to white interior. I wonder if they build a bunch of P with white interior and can't sell them, would they start deliver them to the AWD with white interior customers? :p Just take off the spoiler and no one could tell the difference. :p

That white interior is pretty crazy. It looks slick, but I couldn't imagine trying to keep it clean.

None of us know how Tesla is prioritizing orders. It's still fun to speculate though. Personally I think locale/paperwork is the biggest priority for Tesla right now. Cash only/No trade in's are definitely getting prioritized, and CA waiters probably get incentivized because of inventory availability. I think it's fair to say that they are doing some privatization based on when you reserved. It seems like a good amount of Day 1 line waiters have received/have a VIN.

Right now the biggest bottleneck between Tesla and the dollars is delivery. They have cars, they just can't deliver them fast enough. I think it's fairly obvious that Tesla is trying to deliver cars to people who have the least amount of papwerwork. I think this is even more substantiated by their recent "Goal is no contracts" announcement.

That white interior is pretty crazy. It looks slick, but I couldn't imagine trying to keep it clean.

Our model x has cream interior. It looks amazing after 8 months and we had no regret getting it instead of black. If the model 3 has cream interior I would have gone for that instead of white. But I guess if the white is harder than the cream to keep clean.. it will just turn to cream (dusty) color anyway LOL. Also I have see the "beech" looking wood trim in person and didn't really like it that much. I love the Ash Wood on the model x, but the beech doesn't look as good. I think the white plastic trim would be an improvement.