Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs issued in 4 weeks. What's up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you order Autopilot which was one of the qualifying options for the first group? If you didn't order autopilot this probably means they are on the final P90D group. If you did they are still on the first group.

Oh oops, neglected to mention that.. yep, Autopilot was one of the options I ticked. I basically ordered everything but Ludicrous, the towing package, and 72A charging.

Try months to get through the line! Our car (Prod VIN #3XX) began production around January 13th and is still in production (according to my DS). Quality control hasn't even begun, and then we have to wait for transport, service center preparations, and who knows what else.

Just the luck of the draw (or lack thereof). Mine was in production, according to my DS, on January 16th and I took delivery 2 days ago.

Did you order Autopilot which was one of the qualifying options for the first group? If you didn't order autopilot this probably means they are on the final P90D group. If you did they are still on the first group.
Do you have any examples where someone ordered P90D Premium without Autopilot and is still waiting for a VIN? It seems like it would be very uncommon configuration. I don't see how Autopilot by itself would be a determining factor in VIN assignment and production since it's nothing more that a software toggle.

Has this really been validated? Maybe so, but I think dates given on a configuration on the website is not really validation. It is hard for me to imagine Tesla holding up a much needed $140K sale over $4K of rims. My own thought is if rims were really going to delay an order I would make the option temporarily unavailable or Out of Stock. I am ready to be flamed and educated...

I have the same question. How hard it is to coat a rim black? I can't imagine how they would not want to deliver those high margin cars because of a rim. Unless if I missed something that it's really made out of onyx?

All I can tell you is according to those who have provided their configuration information on the forum and through ModelXTracker of those who have been issued a VIN 100% have been either P90D or P90DL, 100% have selected the premium option and 100% have chosen the Autopilot option. No other options has been 100%. Of the those delivered not one has the black onyx 22 inch wheels. 100% of those delivered have had autopilot and premium options. Since December no VINs have been issued to cars with black onyx wheels.

Because they are back logged on producing P90D there are no orders being "held up by a $4k rim". If you were to order a car now and chose the black rims it would show a later delivery. You must not be reading the many threads regarding the rims. Many people have already changed their orders to do away with the rims to get an earlier delivery date.

It it very obvious they have selected the higher dollar options in order to bring in more revenue. Only P90s's. The premium and autopilot options are mostly software configuration making them high-margin options. A rim is a low-margin option. The information on "my Tesla" is not accurate as discussed on this forum. For example mine says "in production" even though I am taking delivery Friday. If you question this information ask anyone who has a VIN.

That may be the case for MXtracker. However, there are a couple of Black Onyx WITH VINS. The High Dollar is no secrete. Tesla (Elon) stated that on the YE Investors' call. Cash is King these days, so Tesla is building the highest priced first -- P90D's with premium, etc. I don't know whether Ludicrous makes a difference.

It appears very early on when they were assigning VINs a couple slipped through. Since then no additional VINs have been assigned to people who ordered black onyx wheels. Even though they got VINs none of them have been given delivery dates. There have been a good number of people who have paid the $500 to modify their order to do away with the onyx wheels in order to get an earlier date. There are several posts about this. I am not just basing my analysis on the ModelXTracker but also on post on this forum. Any time a forum user provides information about their order I keep track. As more people provide their information, preferably through the tracker, it will allow us to provide more accurate predictions. You can't get information directly from Tesla. I understand they don't provide information as it can impact stock prices.

It it has been the practice on this forum to put your configuration information at the bottom of your post. So as not to have to type it each time you can put it in your signature block and it will show up on every post. Some people have two or three Tesla's and they list each one.

Ludicrous mode is not one of the key factors. The factors to get an earlier date are as follows: has to be a P90D or P90DL with autopilot and premium option. No other option has a positive impact. The Black Onyx wheels is the only option which will delay your order.

Reservation Sequence #8143 | Order Confirmed 12/17/15 | Prod VIN 000251 | VIN
Assigned 12/23/15 | P90D | Ludicrous | Titanium Metallic | Tan Leather | Ash wood | Light Headliner | 20" silver helix wheels | Premium upgrade | Autopilot | Six seat (2-2-2) | Towing | 72 Amp Charger | Delivery 2/26/16 | Orlando Service Center

Please update "http://ModelXTracker.com" with information about your Model X order.

If, as we surmise, high profit margin builds are the priority, then Ludicrous has to matter because it's "only" more robust battery contacts and some software... for many more thousands of dollars. Right?

I agree but it is not one of the options Tesla decided to make a deciding factor. Only autopilot and Premium. Every person who has provided their delivery information so far has these options. Also every person who had gotten a VIN and shared their information has these two options including myself. I am not saying this won't change in the future but it is the way it is now.

Ok, I was just issued a VIN on a Sunday night for a configuration that includes the Black Onyx wheels.

I know that this does not provide 100% confirmation that the car will be going into production in the next month or two, but it throws a curve ball to everyone that was saying that more VINs would not issued for this configuration until the fall.

Ok, I was just issued a VIN on a Sunday night for a configuration that includes the Black Onyx wheels.

I know that this does not provide 100% confirmation that the car will be going into production in the next month or two, but it throws a curve ball to everyone that was saying that more VINs would not issued for this configuration until the fall.

@dwebb66 if you haven't already done so can you update ModelXTracker.com with you updated information.

Hello All. My first post. I received my VIN a few hours ago. EXCITED!

Reserved 5/29/15, Reservation# 17,8XX, Configure Invitation 1/4/16, Configured 1/11/16, DS Assigned 1/14/16, Confirmed 1/18/16, VIN Assigned 2/29/16, MX Production VIN# 0013XX

Model X P90D | All-Wheel Drive | Obsidian Black Metallic Paint | 22" Onyx Black Wheels | Ultra White Seats | Carbon Fiber Décor | Black Headliner | Six Seat Interior | Active Spoiler | Tesla Red Brake Calipers | Supercharger Enabled | High Amperage Charger Upgrade | Autopilot Convenience Features | Premium Upgrades Package | Smart Air Suspension | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Subzero Weather Package | Towing Package

@PVogel. You are right where you can't get a car until you have a VIN, a VIN doesn't mean you will get a car anytime soon. Probably as little as 8 weeks but more likely to be 3-4 months and even longer if anything goes wrong along the way. Ask the many who got a VIN on December 23rd and who's cars still haven't gone into production. Ask those who got a VIN and who ordered the Black Onyx wheels and who haven't heard a word since getting a VIN. Also just ignore what your "My Tesla" page says. It was never accurate for me and I think it says the same thing for almost all users no matter where they are in the progress. The week before I went to pick up my car it was still saying "going into production." I have learned until your DS gives you a firm delivery date you can pretty much ignore what they are saying as they are kept in the dark and really don't know. I got more accurate information from the forum than I ever did from the DS. Until you see 100's of cars a week being delivered you know they are not at full production. We are still seeing one or two per week so we have a long way to go. As I have said before I am not a pessimist, I am a realist. If you think just because you got a VIN your car will be here in weeks your are setting yourself up for disappointment. From my experience even after your car gets to the SC it still could be another three or four weeks. My car was delivered to my DS almost three weeks ago and now they are waiting for a part. At best case I will see it in a couple of weeks but wouldn't be surprised if it was a couple of months. My SC had cars they were hiding as they didn't want customers to see the car and expect deliveries. They are waiting on parts. I am sure all the the SCs have the same issues.

Well aware that a VIN doesn't mean anytime soon as I am one of those who got their VIN on 12/23! That was kind of my point, I was speculating that they stopped giving out VINs for a while to keep people from getting their hopes up and calling their DS unnecessarily.

I'm trying to discipline myself to no more than once a week contacting the DS!

Hello All. My first post. I received my VIN a few hours ago. EXCITED!

Reserved 5/29/15, Reservation# 17,8XX, Configure Invitation 1/4/16, Configured 1/11/16, DS Assigned 1/14/16, Confirmed 1/18/16, VIN Assigned 2/29/16, MX Production VIN# 0013XX

Model X P90D | All-Wheel Drive | Obsidian Black Metallic Paint | 22" Onyx Black Wheels | Ultra White Seats | Carbon Fiber Décor | Black Headliner | Six Seat Interior | Active Spoiler | Tesla Red Brake Calipers | Supercharger Enabled | High Amperage Charger Upgrade | Autopilot Convenience Features | Premium Upgrades Package | Smart Air Suspension | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Subzero Weather Package | Towing Package

Welcome BJJ! Perhaps I'm reading into this more than I should but I also reserved that same week in 2015 and configured my 90D that same day as you did in January. I'm hoping you receiving your P90 vin indicates you might be among the final few P90's getting their vins and some of the first 90D's get their vins beginning in April. Of course as many of us are noticing, the Model S vin assignment to delivery of around 5 weeks later does not seem to be playing out with the X, but great news for you nonetheless.

Do we know if the VINs are an indication of how many X's have been produced? If so, it is pretty scary that the 13xx car was just assigned a VIN. Does that REALLY indicate that less than 1400 cars have been built in 5 months (and less than 900 since Jan 1st)?