Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs issued in 4 weeks. What's up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome BJJ! Perhaps I'm reading into this more than I should but I also reserved that same week in 2015 and configured my 90D that same day as you did in January. I'm hoping you receiving your P90 vin indicates you might be among the final few P90's getting their vins and some of the first 90D's get their vins beginning in April. Of course as many of us are noticing, the Model S vin assignment to delivery of around 5 weeks later does not seem to be playing out with the X, but great news for you nonetheless.

Thanks Pjjava! Great minds...I think you may be correct. Although there was talk that possibly the P90's without the Premium Upgrade Package will be up next. Nevertheless, I hope you get your VIN soon.

Do we know if the VINs are an indication of how many X's have been produced? If so, it is pretty scary that the 13xx car was just assigned a VIN. Does that REALLY indicate that less than 1400 cars have been built in 5 months (and less than 900 since Jan 1st)?
We only know the VINS that have been put into ModelXTracker, but yes. You cannot produce a car without a VIN and while they are not assigned exactly sequentially, they are pretty close after a few weeks.

And VIN != Produced != Delivered (at least not until the car is delivered :smile:)

Today they deviated from the way they are assigning VINS. Probably over a 1000 VINs have been issued in the last week. The last group of VINs were for 90D (Non-P) many of which were ordered in early to mid January but a few were for people who ordered in mid to late February. Just real strange. First I thought they were bogus postings someone trying to purposely stir the pot or someone indicating a 90D not realizing they ordered a P90D. But there are probably about 20 90D reported so far. Of course we only see 10% of what is really ordered, so we are probably talking 200-300. One possible explanation could be they are running a few, several hundred, through to test how a different version does on the production line.

I know if I had ordered a loaded P90D/P90DL back in December and they started producing 90Ds which were just ordered I would be irate. Many ordered the P version just to get an early delivery date. I know I did.

The other deviation from the past is now it appears they are issuing VINs daily rather than once a week which has been the practice in the past. Any thoughts?

I know if I had ordered a loaded P90D/P90DL back in December and they started producing 90Ds which were just ordered I would be irate. Many ordered the P version just to get an early delivery date. I know I did.

I wouldn't say I ordered the P just because it was earlier, but I won't lie and say it wasn't a factor. It's been beat into the ground, but I really wish they gave even just a little transparency on what where we sit. I know it's only March, but I am not feeling good about an "early" 2016 delivery.

@Pantoot. I like things that are logical up until this point I can follow their logic. Their logic appeared to be to deliver the cars which made them the most profit first. Whether it was fair or not is another issue but it made sense. It no longer makes sense.

As has been discussed before they don't necessarily produce in VIN order. There are plenty of cars with VINs less than 400 who have had VINs for months with no delivery but today a person with a VIN in the 400's got their car. Someone posted they are only delivering cars to California and I even read this in a financial article but I live in Florida and my car is at the SC waiting for a part and I know of at least 3 others in FL who have gotten production cars. I have read on this Forum where people have gotten cars in NJ, CO, WA and others states so the CA only isn't accurate.

Darryl - I think the complicating factor is both margin per vehicle as well as manufacturing/tooling expense come into play. I can't even remember what's in the Premium Package I ordered so long ago. That said, TM is clearly set up to produce cars with that package and it may be more economical to run P90Ds and 90Ds down that line than to retool for non-premium and run the non-premium P90Ds down the line - these are likely a small number anyway.

As it relates to your delay. I think they can make a model X and have 95% of the car right, quick fix and QC and ship it. The next one, off the same line, may be only 75% "right" and require weeks to fix due to parts delays. Unfortunately, it appears your car was one of those that wasn't as close to perfect as others, so delivery is delayed. Total bummer and not "fair", but it also wouldn't be fair to make everyone else wait for your car to be ready if their cars are already ready. It's the same issue as the sigs and comes with the territory. I hate it too, but I know I will love my X.

With regards to the comment that 90D were being issued VINs earlier than expected, I think Tesla needs to react to the constantly evolving market conditions. I'm sure the "Meet the X" and "Test Drive" events are all reactions to the number of people that have confirmed (or more likely haven't). While assigning a 90D VIN doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be delivered any time soon, it may also mean that they have run out of P90D confirmations and are moving forward. Or maybe they have a supplier issue and they're building vehicles that are not affected by that supplier.

The point I'm trying to make, Tesla does their best to predict what is going to happen, but when reservations holders and suppliers do something that they didn't expect, Tesla will have to react/change their roll-out accordingly.

Last edited:
Another possibility is that Tesla is anticipating limited production for some time (maybe while waiting for parts), so they want to do a batch of non-P cars now to have time to look for bugs on them before the ramp up is complete, rather than ramping up fully on P90D and then later encountering some 90D-specific issues when production is running at high volume, when it would be a much bigger problem.

I toyed with the notion of ordering a P to get it earlier all week long during the configuration stage. In the last day I decided I did not really need the P and would rather not spend the $20k and just wait it out. It was better for me to get what I wanted and there was no guarantee that I would have gotten a P earlier anyway. And at this point we still don't know what's happening. Just because some of us have VINs does not mean anything. Maybe it does mean that they have the parts for those configs at hand or not. No telling.

I also think it appears to be more than just premium or onyx wheels. Some are speculating delivery location (CA) and maybe even the absence of white seats could be in play here too.

Ruh-Roh... (Scooby-doo voice).

I'm one of those 90D's. My early Model S is going into service today for yet another fix of the tailgate light leak (fixed once before within first 6 months, but apparently they now have a better fix).

I hope you're thesis is not correct (although, I'm guessing it is). If it is, it sounds like we'll be beta testers again.

Of course, there is the upside that we get our slightly-buggy MX sooner.

Another possibility is that Tesla is anticipating limited production for some time (maybe while waiting for parts), so they want to do a batch of non-P cars now to have time to look for bugs on them before the ramp up is complete, rather than ramping up fully on P90D and then later encountering some 90D-specific issues when production is running at high volume, when it would be a much bigger problem.

Darryl - I think the complicating factor is both margin per vehicle as well as manufacturing/tooling expense come into play. I can't even remember what's in the Premium Package I ordered so long ago. That said, TM is clearly set up to produce cars with that package and it may be more economical to run P90Ds and 90Ds down that line than to retool for non-premium and run the non-premium P90Ds down the line - these are likely a small number anyway.

As it relates to your delay. I think they can make a model X and have 95% of the car right, quick fix and QC and ship it. The next one, off the same line, may be only 75% "right" and require weeks to fix due to parts delays. Unfortunately, it appears your car was one of those that wasn't as close to perfect as others, so delivery is delayed. Total bummer and not "fair", but it also wouldn't be fair to make everyone else wait for your car to be ready if their cars are already ready. It's the same issue as the sigs and comes with the territory. I hate it too, but I know I will love my X.

@elguapo

It does make since but the issue is the majority of P90D users with the premium options have yet to receive a VIN. I can see if all P's with these options had been given VINs but that is not the case. What we don't is how many preople have canceled, it is at least 1%. I am afraid this is the last straw for some and there are P buyers who will just cancel. A lot of P buyers paid $155k (before $8k in taxes) like I did. There are a lot of really nice luxury cars at this price point, not electric but real nice. I want Tesla to succeed but they need to get their act together are they are going to loose customers. As info my DS told me they are getting so many calls from buyers wanted to know the status of their cars they don't have time to answer the calls from those taking delivery. The phone never stops ringing.

I guess this is the penalty we pay for custom made cars? Once they assign you a VIN you are stuck with it until it gets to your door.

But I think this is the same with any auto maker who takes an order for a car no? When I bought one of the first Acura MDX's I was assigned a VIN a few months before I got the car.

@Darryl I don't think we know how many P90D confirmed buyers with premium, no onyx do not yet have a VIN. Clearly, there are some, as we can see in the forums. I agree, TM needs to work on communication, but they have to k ow that by now. They don't want to be overwhelmed with emails and calls.

Mia's to cancellations, I think a LOT more than 1% have cancelled, but we will never know. It's much easier to put down $5,000 and get excited than it is to put down $140,000+. I have no basis for this, but think cancellations are probably closer to 10%.

Bottom line - they can't do this with the Model 3. "Notmal" buyers won't wait around with no communication and a super slow ramp.