Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOA lane changing into concrete barrier / walls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice today my car signaled and started to turn into a Concrete wall in the carpool lane on the 15 North. I of course cancelled it but damn, this isn't good!

I have been testing the Auto lane change feature but Im going to have to turn it off.

I did get a warning when I got in the car (It quickly went away though) that blind spot detection was limited (what causes this? the cameras were all clear when i checked them). It seemed to be detecting the barrier using it's sensors though, until it wasn't, and it wanted to turn into the wall, twice.

Last time I had the warning the car was s but covered in condensation, but that usually goes away pretty quick.

...cameras were all clear...

Because Autopilot is still in its very infancy stage and people might overestimate it as if it's a matured product.

Yes, it can have a suicidal tendency at any time but it has worked pretty well for me as long as I keep my hand on the steering wheel and eyes on the road for over the past 2 years and over 35,000 miles so far.

Reactions: Dana1 and bhzmark
I disabled automatic lane changes too. Its pretty dumb in lane changing decision. On I5, it will ask me to leave HOV lane when there is a 100% guarantee that the other lane is going to be stuck in next half mile while HOV will always be free and at higher speed.

Additionally, i have noticed model 3 doesn't handle lane endings safely and merges dangerously on highway interchanges.

Does the Model 3 only have cameras for detecting objects to the side? No ultrasonics?

Seems kinda insane that it knows it can't see at the side properly and displays a warning message to that effect, but decides to change lanes anyway.

Reactions: bhzmark
Does the Model 3 only have cameras for detecting objects to the side? No ultrasonics?

Seems kinda insane that it knows it can't see at the side properly and displays a warning message to that effect, but decides to change lanes anyway.
it had sensors and shows it detecting the wall. However I want staring at the screen when it started the lane change into the wall. I'll give it another shot on Monday since this is on my daily commute and I'll see if it happens again and if it shows the detecting indicator when it starts changing lanes.

To report the incident just hold down the command button and day report a bug, filledfo by what happened. Although it seems to take me like 8 trys to get it right lol. "report a bug, navigate on auto pilot tried Ellane Chang the wall" etc...

I disabled automatic lane changes too. Its pretty dumb in lane changing decision. On I5, it will ask me to leave HOV lane when there is a 100% guarantee that the other lane is going to be stuck in next half mile while HOV will always be free and at higher speed.

Additionally, i have noticed model 3 doesn't handle lane endings safely and merges dangerously on highway interchanges.
mine does this too, in fact it tries to lane change over four solid white lines into stopped traffic once. But since it does not handle the hov freeway interchange to the next highway, I assume that if it didn't put you into the hov lane Via a dedicated entrance ramp it might not know your on it.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Because Autopilot is still in its very infancy stage and people might overestimate it as if it's a matured product.

Yes, it can have a suicidal tendency at any time but it has worked pretty well for me as long as I keep my hand on the steering wheel and eyes on the road for over the past 2 years and over 35,000 miles so far.
Yes but this is a huge problem. Unless of course something is broken on my car. Autopilot has been watch the road ahead, while auto lane changing into a barrier on its own is putting the driver into a dangerous situation at any given moment.

On the other hand, here in Georgia, we use the convention of double white solid lines to indicate no entry to the HOV/HOT lanes. And a dotted version to indicate that it is legal to cross into or out of the lanes.
Yesterday as I was driving, with an EV tag, I moved into the HOV/HOT lanes.
As I travelled, I noticed that the right adjacent lane was not being shown. Little odd, but kinda correct. A little further up, I noticed the car getting out of the lane automatically. It startled me, but as I looked, it decided that it needed to get out of the passing lane (not really correct,but illI let it have this one) and that it had waited until it had the dotted line and that it now showed the adjacent lanes.

It was pretty awesome to see it work so well.

Now the problem is that some areas, like Seattle have decided to use nonstandard markings and have a single solid line to separate the HOV lane. Standard concept is that you should never cross a solid line except for an urgent situation.

...something is broken on my car..

Tesla's automation is only perfectly safe if driven by an attentive driver who is willing to be in charge of the driving.

There have been numerous reports of Autopilot crashes, injuries, and fatalities: These unfortunate events happened when drivers are unable to take charge of the driving.

There's nothing broken with your car's Autopilot.

Numerous drivers who didn't die complained to Tesla that something must be wrong with their Autopilot and Tesla has always responded in the same scripted line that nothing is wrong with the system because:

"The software and hardware performed within specs and as designed."

That would make drivers really angry. They think that Tesla is lying because if what they said is true then why are there Autopilot crashes, injuries, and fatalities still?

Remember, it's just like a toddler who has a perfectly good vocal cord with no cancer, no-diseases... but it can only utter the word "dada" first and not "mama". Nothing is wrong with the kid and nothing's wrong with its vocal cord. That's how much it has developed based on its stage of development.

Again, Autopilot is not in its advanced stage. It is still in its very infancy stage. Be an adult and help it out when it wants to crash!

Last edited:
I've definitely had my car misread shoulders and other undriveable parts of the road as lanes before, though I haven't been brave enough to try letting my car merge into them. Might be a bit of a disconnect between the system that says "this looks like a lane" and "this is a valid lane we can merge into right now."

Recently I did notice slightly smarter behavior in traffic when one lane is moving noticeably faster than another - seems like the car ignores nearby lanes in this situation, which would also prevent the car from merging into the slower/faster lane until the relative speed difference is lower.

Legit question:

Up to now, people have paid not-insignificant money for Autopilot, so everyone who now has it really wanted it and is very likely well aware of its limitations.

Are we going to see the same accident rate when this feature is available to all buyers?