Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise reduction kits worthwhiled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious as to what other MY owners think about the use of noise reduction kits I.e. from RPM and other vendors. I see the elastic strips that fit in the grooves surrounding the roof glass as well as door and pillar areas. Do these kits actually make a discernible difference in cabin noise especially at highway speed?

I am curious as to what other MY owners think about the use of noise reduction kits I.e. from RPM and other vendors. I see the elastic strips that fit in the grooves surrounding the roof glass as well as door and pillar areas. Do these kits actually make a discernible difference in cabin noise especially at highway speed?

I installed the rubber kit for the doors and trunk and I can actually say that it reduced cabin noise, and doors/trunk closes with more solid thud than metallic clunk.

Try seat inside or drive one with these kits to appreciate the difference...

Interestingly, I just installed the RPM wind and road noise kit today. I previously sound-insulated my trunk bucket, 1/4 panels, and hatch. After cutting down on the noise from the back, I noticed the mild wind noise and what appeared to be road noise predominantly from the rear doors. Contrary to what other's experienced, my car is very noticably quieter after installing the two RPM kits. It's so nice now. There is just a bit of the low frequency noise still present, so the modelyshelf may be in my future plans.
Screenshot_20210317-181430_Spectroid.jpg

Last edited:
For me, the noise reduction kit did not work. Did everything as suggested (cleaned prior, used the provided prep packets...). Prior to the adhesive failing, the doors (the front doors) really needed to be shut with force. I was not liking that. What, maybe a week I started to notice the strips pulling away from where they were installed. I sent photos of what was happening, they refund monies, no hassle. Just as a heads up, it was no small feat removing the adhesive from where the strips were installed. There are all kinds of 'how to' to remove the 3M adhesive via the internet. Even purchased 3M Adhesive remover (you would think...) The 'only' thing that worked for me was WD-40.

Attachments

• adhesive.JPG
    adhesive.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 489
Just installed my road noise kit yesterday, I don't really notice any difference.

I did buy the wind noise reduction kit, the gap on my roof glass front is so tight I couldn't install the rubber in it. I'm going to ask for refund on that one.

I have some rattle sound coming from the rear passenger side, not exactly sure what it is. And I tend to hear the frame flex as I go over speed bumps and other driveway ramps. Other than that, music usually drowns out any other sounds.

They do nothing to reduce wind and road noise.
I'm wondering if you are referring to a specific model? Like the model 3? We noticed in a test drive that it had much more wind noise than our MX. We hardly notice any wind noise at any speed in that car. We did install strips around the front doors, gull wing doors, and trunk (not the RPM kit though), and it made a significant difference in road noise which is why we did it for driving on those noisy concrete roads in some areas. I measured DB levels on 3 different types of roads at various speeds right before and after installing the strips so I could compare.

Having said that, I am not sure why you or others don't notice a difference. Different model Tesla, different year, different tires, or different types of molding, or something else. I'm just happy we did it.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The passenger side rattle is the seatbelt. I installed the door noise kit just to keep the dust and dirt out. It makes a difference but I wouldn't say it keeps the jambs clean. I never had a problem with the wind noise in the first place. Most of what I hear is coming from the tires / road.

Just installed my road noise kit yesterday, I don't really notice any difference.

I did buy the wind noise reduction kit, the gap on my roof glass front is so tight I couldn't install the rubber in it. I'm going to ask for refund on that one.

I have some rattle sound coming from the rear passenger side, not exactly sure what it is. And I tend to hear the frame flex as I go over speed bumps and other driveway ramps. Other than that, music usually drowns out any other sounds.
I had that rattle problem and I had to bring it into the Service Center twice to get it fixed. And it wasn’t the seat belt for me.